Receiver speaker terminal/connector plate upgrade advice...

Looking to upgrade the old spring-clip connectors on my Kenwood KR-3200 to something more modern to play friendly with my Wharfedale Dentons.

I'm not scared of some wire cutting and soldering to get the job done, the current connectors have a fly wire soldered to the board so there's room to play with new connectors.

What I'd like is some advice on which connector type to go for and if there is a pre-fab plate available in the un-orthodox A/B vertical, L/R horizontal terminal layout (see pic).

Thanks.

Kenwood KR-3200 Connectors.jpg

Posted (edited)

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

The OEM connectors are workable, unlike the ones on the KA-7100 et al...

The link from muon contains good examples. I opt for the faux gold plated items from the bay (china) $8-12 for set of 4 which is strange considering I spend hours refurbishing amps and then cheapen out on the spkr posts! Time for a rethink? Suspicion is that most things from china are fake including the high priced posts, exception would be consonance...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mbz said:

The OEM connectors are workable, unlike the ones on the KA-7100 et al...

The link from muon contains good examples. I opt for the faux gold plated items from the bay (china) $8-12 for set of 4 which is strange considering I spend hours refurbishing amps and then cheapen out on the spkr posts! Time for a rethink? Suspicion is that most things from china are fake including the high priced posts, exception would be consonance...

I like the look of these, similar to one of the WBT types, low mass and gold plated copper.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/binding-posts/eizz-ez-301-gold-plated-ofc-copper-binding-posts-o16mm-x-61mm-pair-p-9899.html

Edited by muon*

On 03/05/2021 at 1:34 PM, muon* said:

Thanks for that, I did go through that post already. It looks like it will be a full DIY job including custom making a plate.

Shouldn't be too much of a big deal, time to dust off the soldering iron.

• Like 1

Quick beginner question for you @muon* that you may be able to answer...

If I'm running low gauge, high quality wire from my speakers to the amp, isn't the high gauge wire from the binding posts to the board limiting the audio quality?

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Skinn0909 said:

Quick beginner question for you @muon* that you may be able to answer...

If I'm running low gauge, high quality wire from my speakers to the amp, isn't the high gauge wire from the binding posts to the board limiting the audio quality?

The idea is to use what is appropriate for the amount of current that will be passed, this applies to the speaker cables also, and a quality wire IMO helps.

No sense in using 12awg unless the amount of current requires it.

What is the amp n speakers?

Something like a 20AWG solid core copper from Duelund would be sufficient for inside the amp as It's a very shot distance, or you could go for the tin plated copper stranded stuff also from Duelund....... 16awg if you want to be wild.

But 20awg solid core copper would be my go to for this.

Edited by muon*
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, muon* said:

The idea is to use what is appropriate for the amount of current that will be passed, this applies to the speaker cables also, and a quality wire IMO helps.

No sense in using 12awg unless the amount of current requires it.

What is the amp n speakers?

Something like a 20AWG solid core copper from Duelund would be sufficient for inside the amp as It's a very shot distance, or you could go for the tin plated copper stranded stuff also from Duelund....... 16awg if you want to be wild.

But 20awg solid core copper would be my go to for this.

Interesting, so I'm on the right track.

Amp is a Kenwood Kr-3200 connected to a set of Wharfdale Denton 35ths. Severely underpowered at the moment, but wanted to upgrade the to posts to get the best I can out of the amp before a modern upgrade.

Edited by Skinn0909

Yeah 20awg solid core is easily sufficient, I wouldn't bother with anything larger, with 20awg you won't get any attenuation of highs or lows.