General IEM & DAP Chat

14 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Mango is a pure simple music player for local files. No android bloat. Very simple and snappy to use.

Ah I see.  That's all DAPs seemed to be last time I looked at one ( a while ago).  Didn't impress me as they just seemed to be a device that was crippled to only do one simple thing.  Hence, I have been using a phone instead ever since.  However this machine of yours is a whole other level of  fancy design.

4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Very interesting beast.  I enjoyed reading this review of it https://headfonics.com/ibasso-dx300-review/   as I didn't know much about new DAPs and what is out there. 

There are so many new TOTL DAP's being released, predominantly by Chinese/Asian brands that it's a whole new ballgame. The Astell and Kern SP2000 set the ballpark for $5000 DAP's and many other companies have followed suit. Just as IEM's have gone from $500 (Shure 530's were the IEM benchmark) to $5000 and more ; so have DAPs. Cayin, Hiby, Luxury and Precision, Shanling, Lotoo to name a few.

A few reviews of IEM's and DAPS here: https://twister6.com including of the DX300.

The current trend seems to be swappable or multi-DAC chip options ; inclusion of 4.4mm balanced (about damn time) and increased power output to drive full sized headphones out of a DAP. All in a wifi-friendly and up to date interface and for some, ROON ready.  

I'm waiting for one of you to order the Unique Melody Mason Fabled Sound IEM. Bone conduction and balanced armature 

Edited by Dr_Kevy

41 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Any good foam tip options apart from Comply out there?

Dekoni are good as well. Some cheap ones on Amazon have done the job for me in some cases. they get torn apart easier, though.

20 hours ago, Dr_Kevy said:

There are so many new TOTL DAP's being released, predominantly by Chinese/Asian brands that it's a whole new ballgame. The Astell and Kern SP2000 set the ballpark for $5000 DAP's and many other companies have followed suit. Just as IEM's have gone from $500 (Shure 530's were the IEM benchmark) to $5000 and more ; so have DAPs. Cayin, Hiby, Luxury and Precision, Shanling, Lotoo to name a few.

A few reviews of IEM's and DAPS here: https://twister6.com including of the DX300.

The current trend seems to be swappable or multi-DAC chip options ; inclusion of 4.4mm balanced (about damn time) and increased power output to drive full sized headphones out of a DAP. All in a wifi-friendly and up to date interface and for some, ROON ready.  

I'm waiting for one of you to order the Unique Melody Mason Fabled Sound IEM. Bone conduction and balanced armature 

I really liked the Titanium ones from UM, but looks like they were not that famous. This new Mason price it’s a no go for me at all. Are thinking on getting one? Looks like only 20 will be made.

Not supporting those extreme prices on IEMs, even if they come with a 2k cable, that I don’t support as well. No problem with who does, but not for me. 

46 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

As it happens, I just got my Soundpeats iems and they come with Comply foam tips.  I am impressed with the sound isolation when combined with the Comply.  No way I can hear the wife standing beside me trying to get my attention :) .     I too am interested now in what is the best tip.    

My experiences with the Soundpeats here...

Totally agreed. It doesn’t matter how much “handmade” or exclusivity there is but pricing vs uncertain product cost vs value is a very personal thing. Bit like Penfolds Bin 28 v 389 v Grange v Chateau Lafite. At what level is the sweet spot?

I’m passing on the Mason VS. It may be a few years but the technology will hopefully migrate to a more affordable option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Dekoni maybe?? tbh i've been converted from foams to silicone, you're lucky if foams last more than a week or 2 before you need to replace.

yer better off with azala's, spinfits, final e's imho.

1 hour ago, Dr_Kevy said:

Totally agreed. It doesn’t matter how much “handmade” or exclusivity there is but pricing vs uncertain product cost vs value is a very personal thing. Bit like Penfolds Bin 28 v 389 v Grange v Chateau Lafite. At what level is the sweet spot?

I’m passing on the Mason VS. It may be a few years but the technology will hopefully migrate to a more affordable option. 

I know nothing about wine, but I guess those have a great price range difference.  It’s about the value (different from price) of uniqueness and that last mile in the appreciation. I did spend a bit in IEMs and still have a feel expensive ones. But to a point.

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

As it happens, I just got my Soundpeats iems and they come with Comply foam tips.  I am impressed with the sound isolation when combined with the Comply.  No way I can hear the wife standing beside me trying to get my attention :) .     I too am interested now in what is the best tip.    

My experiences with the Soundpeats here...

Coming with comply for this price is really good. I did get Dekoni Bulletz TWS and got a few cheap TWS on Amazon as well. My InEar SD5 fits perfectly with TWS foam tips.

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

Henschke Hill of Grace :) 

I thought the Penfolds brand was more ubiquitous. 

But I'm with you there. I'm very much a Henschke over Penfolds drinker. Though Torbreck Run Rig tends to my shiraz these days...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aussievintage said:

Interesting.   Having just installed my first Comply foams today,  I will have to wait and see.

Let us know how long it lasts, I agree with @NeweyMatt. They don’t last long. On daily use a month max for me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GiullianSN said:

Let us know how long it lasts, I agree with @NeweyMatt. They don’t last long. On daily use a month max for me. 

Also agree whilst Comply used to be great for fit/seal ; foams are difficult to clean and feel/get grotty very quickly. They're very much. disposable item. Silicones have gone a very long way. 

• Like 1

Got some Spinfit CP100 today. I don't mind them! The SS size is about the same as the Final E SS but it narrows down smaller and longer and then does its rotating thing, so fits better.

I'll see how they go on Odin. Final E didn't work for me on U12T.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Got some Spinfit CP100 today. I don't mind them! The SS size is about the same as the Final E SS but it narrows down smaller and longer and then does its rotating thing, so fits better.

I'll see how they go on Odin. Final E didn't work for me on U12T.

I like spinfit ones, but it has so many options that it’s hard to try all to find the good ones, not a cheap Ali express buy. I have CP100, 145 and 240. 240 is the best for now. It fixes most of the bad fit IEMs.

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

They all fit the Odin? 

I need the smallest diameter ones, and ideally tapering to a point almost. 

not sure of the nozzle diameter but have you tried the cp145

https://bloomaudio.com/blogs/articles/spinfit-eartips-guide

Listening to the Oriolus Trailii out of the SP2000 tonight and totally in love. Stock large silicone tips. There’s a gorgeous soft delicate presentation that’s musical but detailed. Everything’s well controlled. It’s not forward and enjoyably relaxing. . But every detail is present but integrated together. 

Its the closest I’ve gotten to plugging the Utopia into a DCS Bartok which is the best I’ve heard and the reference I’m aiming for. At less than half the price in a tiny footprint I can carry with me. Is that value? I’m in denial lol 

Edited by Dr_Kevy
  • Love 1

Comply don't last long...  and lose their nice sponginess a little too quickly for my liking.

Big fan of the Spinfits - comfortable, durable, good seal, and overall much simpler to use once you've got the right size.

I found getting a good seal with Comply foam was not always a simple thing.  (Lots of fiddling, squeezing, etc - and a degree of luck involved.)

I'm using the CP100 on CA's

DX300.

This is what I want a DAP to be. It's huge, all screen, very responsive. As good as using a high end smart phone there.

Sound is predictably very good. Only used with U12T out of 3.5mm so far, but excellent sound. It's also thiccc like a fine woman and as heavy as the D&Ms @BlueOceanBoy sends me.

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ooo how does it compare next to say a Fiio m11 Pro or other DAP’s in its price point?

IEM idiosyncrasies aside, the simplicity of a DAP and IEM alone setup is very attractive

• Like 1

I believe it compares more to the M15.

I haven't heard the M15, from what I've read, I think most would pick the DX300. Be close though, both killer options.

PLUS. They will be releasing some new modules for it soon. I'm hoping for the tube one, like the DX200 had.

Edited by Bengineer

13 hours ago, DrTobiasFunke said:

Comply don't last long...  and lose their nice sponginess a little too quickly for my liking.

Big fan of the Spinfits - comfortable, durable, good seal, and overall much simpler to use once you've got the right size.

I found getting a good seal with Comply foam was not always a simple thing.  (Lots of fiddling, squeezing, etc - and a degree of luck involved.)

I'm using the CP100 on CA's

Well, this afternoon I switched back from the Comply to the standard ones that came with my iems (black neoprene rubber).  I just think the Comply foam feels sticky and not right somehow.  I did manage to get it to seal very well.  Maybe too well.   

The standard ones work quite well too.   Still feel very secure.  The sound balance seems a little different.  Maybe they position the iems slightly differently in my ear.