If you want to get into vinyl and not take a chance with something going wrong with an ancient D/D then this deck has to be a serious contender. It has something that I think is a must - end of side arm lift. Don't under estimate how useful this is. I don't know if later you could fit another arm and indeed another cartridge that depends on how serious you get about this medium. As with any T/T decoupling of vibration is essential, there are lots of good feet to put under the deck, check out Viablue and others.

Posted (edited)

I was reading up on this through the week too - sounds a great turntable for someone that really would like a decent table to start with.

As a Technics SL 1200GR owner, I adore my Technics and totally in love with the brand.

The SL-100C seems a good option for newbies or casual vinyl spinners & for those that don't want the SL-1500C with the auto lifter arm that is a little problematic if the runout groove is not an average width as it can lift too early before the last track is finished.

Edited by April Snow

Where can these be had from in Australia?

5 minutes ago, muon* said:

Where can these be had from in Australia?

I believe was only released in April this year, so not quite here yet 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, April Snow said:

I believe was only released in April this year, so not quite here yet 🙂

Ah, I see, thanks, April :)

Also what type of At-95 cart is it getting and can that cart styli be upgraded to a micro line?

Technics has optimised their d/d technology over decades, it would appear that the arm and cartridge are the only real differences with their top line decks. April, my Kenwood KD 990 has the arm lift and I've never had a problem in over 12 years of use. I was really surprised to see this ever again on any deck regardless of price. 

If my Kenwood developed a problem that couldn't be fixed because a certain part was unobtanum and if I could use another arm I would seriously consider buying one of these. When and if a buyer wanted to go for something better (and it would have to be very much better) then I would imagine that it would have a good resell value.

A bit over what a mate of mine has so I've been after a Reloop Turn5 for him but everywhere in the country is out of stock.

I wonder if this sort of supply issue will happen with the 100C.

I think $1499 in Aus per Darko. Same exact deck as the SL-1500C but with a cheaper cart and no built-in phono pre. Probably both pluses for most people but I’d expect a bigger price drop for the $1999 price of the 1500C. Cart is pretty pedestrian, from memory

On 02/05/2021 at 7:55 PM, Southerly said:

If you want to get into vinyl and not take a chance with something going wrong with an ancient D/D then this deck has to be a serious contender. It has something that I think is a must - end of side arm lift. Don't under estimate how useful this is. I don't know if later you could fit another arm and indeed another cartridge that depends on how serious you get about this medium. As with any T/T decoupling of vibration is essential, there are lots of good feet to put under the deck, check out Viablue and others.

Have you heard one by chance?

7 hours ago, Gryffles said:

Have you heard one by chance?

No and I'd like to, I also think that it would be nice to have the choice to buy with or without the cartridge. With D/D when it is properly implemented  you don't hear the deck, you hear the arm/cartridge, hence my comment will it be possible to change the arm. It will be good to hear from a buyer what they think of the arm. 

When the Covid virus has been contained and that might take some time here in France because so many French refuse to get vaccinated and can never give a rational reason why not, then I shall make a visit to Toulouse and get to listen to one. 

Technics is really profiting from not dismantling their D/D production line and that is down to DJ demand over the decades. I see these 'eye candy' decks that in so many ways are over engineered and seriously over priced but offer nothing new  or advanced over the Japanese D/D superdecks of the 70s' and 80s'.  This Technics  C-100 could be the basis for a giant killer. Does it have a bearing 'system' on a par with the best of the superdecks, this is the basis for the silent operation of direct drive decks. If it is available now in Oz it would be good to have someone with experience of the superdecks to get a good look at the guts of one and post, that would be really useful to the forum.

On 06/05/2021 at 4:13 PM, DAMO 1147 said:

Also what type of At-95 cart is it getting and can that cart styli be upgraded to a micro line?

Assuming its an AT VM95 type (which it would be) , then it certainly can be upgraded to an AT VM95ML.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, mkaramazov said:

Assuming its an AT VM95 type (which it would be) , then it certainly can be upgraded to an AT VM95ML.

it’s the vm95c which sells for about $60 vs the 2m red at about $180 on the sl1500c

Edited by RankStranger

Have I understood correctly that SL-1500C comes with Silver colour and SL-100C with black colour only?

2 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Have I understood correctly that SL-1500C comes with Silver colour and SL-100C with black colour only?

sl1500c came in both but I haven’t seen any mention/photos of 100c in silver 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RankStranger said:

it’s the vm95c which sells for about $60 vs the 2m red at about $180 on the sl1500c

Ahhh,  the conical, certainly the Ortofon red is a better cartridge. 

The ML stylus (VMN95ML) will be about $250. This has a more advanced stylus profile than the Ortofon Red, though obviously at extra cost.  The shibata (VMN95SH) - if that is your flavour - is about $300. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Opinion on the red has not been great which is why I asked.

A lot of good reviews on the At 95 ml with technics decs.

Also I’ll be limited to mm carts.

Edited by DAMO 1147
2 minutes ago, DAMO 1147 said:

Opinion on the red has not been great which is why I asked.

A lot of good reviews on the At 95 ml with technics decs.

Also I’ll be limited to mm carts.

2m Red is a solid cart for the price. Not the last word in detail but plenty of body. 2m Black is the nicest mm cart I’ve heard and one of them on one of the new Technics decks would suit me just fine, thanks :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1