Jump to content

Celef - Mini Pro Monitor - Restoration.


Recommended Posts

G'day Folks.

 

I make these posts on my phone, as it has my photos, but I have trouble adding several pictures to one post.  I make shorter posts to prevent loosing them before submission...  It is extremely frustrating, and already happened once on this post.

 

 

Yet another speaker thread...  I've decided to dedicate a seperate thread for each pair of speakers, beginning with some Celef, Mini Pro Monitors, kindly donated to the BuzzzFuzzz speaker emporium by a good friend and former member.

 

They arrived thusly...

IMG_20210219_075533.thumb.jpg.a0fc4b70f8313e04c70ab2927a0ca8b4.jpg

 

 

The grills are in pretty good condition...  there is one small hole in the cloth of one, so both will be recovered.

 

 

 

 

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately the tweeters were blown...

IMG_2020-11-04-21-55-59-142.jpg.8a8d58df57822518c9a58d52edc9f81a.jpg

 

IMG_2020-11-04-22-37-12-001.jpg.427ad3eee316557746689029ccf7b691.jpg

 

I've given them to a repairer in Melbourne for possible salvage...  but, a long story short...  I've not heard from him in several months, and I'm getting a little concerned that he has scammed me for these and a few other drivers I gave him.

I have not pursued him yet...  giving him the benefit of the doubt, until we communicate again.

 

So...  I've found some Peerless copies from The States, on ebay...

image.png.52ee1eda8a96d6f55b7c135278e1b444.png

I'm awaiting a reply from the seller about suitability for the Celefs.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The crossovers are a nice bit of work...  I don't think I will do anything to them.

IMG_2021-02-11-22-52-14-475.jpg.ed74a2dd59c06d7f998fc2ce5e5ac273.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-11-22-52-25-177.jpg.b9a841eb3578f1f6597ea8e94daa1b92.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The cabinets have been stripped...

 

IMG_20210214_140341671.jpg.65b575d4323cb9558206caf3f9ee0f0e.jpg

 

The tweeters in the above shot are Acoustic Research, from small, 2 way, bookshelf speakers...  swapped in to have a listen.

 

IMG_2021-02-11-22-52-03-971.jpg.e3aac39f0f5e3f0eab04870b72627302.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-11-22-54-21-412.jpg.fee7fd3a3184b6570b48e370917684a5.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-12-16-28-41-050.jpg.0d37837070e821062186833364d1a8eb.jpg

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites


The driver gaskets had turned to goo, requiring delicate removal from the baffle and the drivers...

 

IMG_2021-02-11-22-53-08-891.jpg.763f579e76af0c3100c6eb300205ae53.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-11-22-53-25-036.jpg.49e06c73892faa845d809ad0887be675.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-11-22-54-00-117.jpg.210139e347f5d2761d183f735cdd1c8d.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-12-16-27-49-981.jpg.a951e65a87bad3704fd9b4a6693485b4.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-12-16-28-13-102.jpg.19e42a2b250b02af7b6ee0accfa39553.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-12-16-28-59-210.jpg.3e4818e4582998c7dc9d2aee9204aaf8.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The drivers have had new surrounds, which are rubber, and one had a small split, which I have glued with shoe repair glue.

The new surrounds are not the neatest looking work, and they were glued over a cork type gasket.

 

I've removed the exposed cork from one driver...

IMG_2021-03-22-17-11-10-501.jpg.7875a445caad90042a7570884a815c19.jpg

 

I intend to replace these surrounds, due to the split and aesthetics.

I've not done surrounds, dust caps, or cone removal yet...  a little more learning required, and I don't have the confidence yet.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


Overall, the cabinets are in pretty good shape...  almost all scratches sanded out, and the edges and corners have minimal damage...

IMG_2021-04-30-11-02-35-232.thumb.jpg.4f5e5bee6109493e1d5eb6f075a7bf98.jpg

 

IMG_2021-04-30-11-03-08-950.thumb.jpg.aa9ce4df77e5c23b73e179bf59c437d8.jpg

 

I've collected some of the sanded dust, and will add it to some PVA glue for filling the imperfections...

IMG_2021-04-30-11-00-10-237.thumb.jpg.f0a3b3b15bf0e3fcb6e56f36536f4764.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too sure about this...

 

IMG_2021-04-30-11-02-18-465.thumb.jpg.ae8e49373f7cb76848a96c63f246a7e6.jpg

 

I maybe too particular, but the lighter colouring in the edge has me concerned that it will be highlighted after staining.

 

I don't think it's laquer residue, and I don't think I have over sanded.  It feels smooth.

 

As I prefer to see my drivers when listening, I can see this being rather annoying.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


I'm almost ready to stain them.  I'm considering 2 options...

IMG_2021-04-30-11-06-27-157.thumb.jpg.cc799f1b8c5aba483868e0de374fceb8.jpg

 

IMG_2021-04-30-10-59-14-753.thumb.jpg.6fc7ab81ff0b7a7ffce0b749dcfa1570.jpg

IMG_2021-04-30-10-59-25-173.thumb.jpg.fcc2d09933e0f3ab4ff7c35589644acd.jpg

 

IMG_2021-04-30-10-59-42-236.thumb.jpg.3fa8a2c380438be438e6589b4af40a97.jpg

 

At this point I'm leaning towards the Black Japan, as it allows more of the grain to come through...  and, it's a varnish as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not 100% sure that I have sanded them back enough.  How does one know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

The driver gaskets had turned to goo, requiring delicate removal from the baffle and the drivers...

 

IMG_2021-02-11-22-53-08-891.jpg.763f579e76af0c3100c6eb300205ae53.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-11-22-53-25-036.jpg.49e06c73892faa845d809ad0887be675.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-11-22-54-00-117.jpg.210139e347f5d2761d183f735cdd1c8d.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-12-16-27-49-981.jpg.a951e65a87bad3704fd9b4a6693485b4.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-12-16-28-13-102.jpg.19e42a2b250b02af7b6ee0accfa39553.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-12-16-28-59-210.jpg.3e4818e4582998c7dc9d2aee9204aaf8.jpg

Cast basket, cant be too bad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Cast basket, cant be too bad. 

Indeed.  These speakers are well worth the effort.

Link to post
Share on other sites


My friend, that gave them to me, has a pair himself.  I've heard them many times with his Luxman amp...  they are wonderful 2 ways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been racking my old brain trying to remember what brand of speaker my father owned in the late 1970s. I saw this topic and had a light bulb moment as they were Celefs.

 

They were great sounding speakers and built like a brick outhouse. If I had a pair I would invest the time in restoring them. Good luck with the project.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_2021-04-30-10-59-14-753.thumb.jpg.6fc7ab81ff0b7a7ffce0b749dcfa1570.jpg.a66e6447bc49317e39fc7f8a08080124.jpg

 

I assume the image shows "Black Japan". If so, then I prefer that one.

 

You might already know this Ant: Celef is now known as ProAc: https://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/nfindex.php and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProAc

 

Stewart Tyler founded both companies. I don't know if ProAc drivers are interchangeable with Celef.

Edited by thethrowback
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, thethrowback said:

IMG_2021-04-30-10-59-14-753.thumb.jpg.6fc7ab81ff0b7a7ffce0b749dcfa1570.jpg.a66e6447bc49317e39fc7f8a08080124.jpg

 

I assume the image shows "Black Japan". If so, then I prefer that one.

 

You might already knows this Ant: Celef is now known as ProAc: https://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/nfindex.php and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProAc

 

Stewart Tyler founded both companies. I don't know if ProAc drivers are interchangeable with Celef.

Thanks very much TTB.

 

No mate, I didn't know that about Celef & ProAc.  I'll definitely check with them about the tweeters, before ordering the Peerless copies.

 

I agree about the Black Japan...  I think it will look very nice.

 

Cheers.

Ant.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/04/2021 at 1:41 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

I'm almost ready to stain them.  I'm considering 2 options...

IMG_2021-04-30-11-06-27-157.thumb.jpg.cc799f1b8c5aba483868e0de374fceb8.jpg

 

IMG_2021-04-30-10-59-14-753.thumb.jpg.6fc7ab81ff0b7a7ffce0b749dcfa1570.jpg

IMG_2021-04-30-10-59-25-173.thumb.jpg.fcc2d09933e0f3ab4ff7c35589644acd.jpg

 

IMG_2021-04-30-10-59-42-236.thumb.jpg.3fa8a2c380438be438e6589b4af40a97.jpg

 

At this point I'm leaning towards the Black Japan, as it allows more of the grain to come through...  and, it's a varnish as well.

I use the same  Feast Watson Stain and Varnish for all my DIY. I usually use it on plywood or pine and apply one coat and rub it back with a cloth  for more grain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, misternavi said:

I use the same  Feast Watson Stain and Varnish for all my DIY. I usually use it on plywood or pine and apply one coat and rub it back with a cloth  for more grain.

Thanks mate.

 

I see on the tin, you can use a brush or roller...  What method would you suggest for application?

Do you apply with a cloth, or just rub back after application?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If it is just a stain then applying it with a cloth is the best way as you can remove the excess and reveal the grain.

 

The Stain and Varnish can be applied with a brush, roller or spray. Because it is also a varnish you can't apply it with a cloth as it is tacky and you would end up with a mess. I normally apply three or four coats and lightly sand back before each application.

 

https://www.feastwatson.com.au/products/indoor-products/stain-varnish/stain-varnish/

Edited by thethrowback
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Thanks mate.

 

I see on the tin, you can use a brush or roller...  What method would you suggest for application?

Do you apply with a cloth, or just rub back after application?

I dilute with a bit of turps. Brush it on and wait a few minutes and wipe off.

 

Yes this technic works better with just stain but it still works with stain and varnish.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @misternavi

 

Please feel free to add anything to this thread, that may assist others on the same path.

 

Same goes for all you other DIY'ers.

 

Regards.

Ant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/04/2021 at 9:56 AM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

The crossovers are a nice bit of work...  I don't think I will do anything to them.

IMG_2021-02-11-22-52-14-475.jpg.ed74a2dd59c06d7f998fc2ce5e5ac273.jpg

 

IMG_2021-02-11-22-52-25-177.jpg.b9a841eb3578f1f6597ea8e94daa1b92.jpg

I would desolder the caps and check their values as I think they are electrolytics and could have driffted a lot in value given the age of the speakers

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ozcall said:

I would desolder the caps and check their values as I think they are electrolytics and could have driffted a lot in value given the age of the speakers.

 

Nice one.  Thanks again.  

I'll have to have a look back on the What are you building thread and find the comment, but someone pointed them out as 'firecrackers'.

 

I'll copy it here later.

 

Now I look at the picture again, it wouldn't hurt to make a nice crossover board for these.  Spread the kit out a little and make it a sub-feature of the cabinets.

 

Cheers 

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2021 at 5:23 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Nice one.  Thanks again.  

I'll have to have a look back on the What are you building thread and find the comment, but someone pointed them out as 'firecrackers'.

 

I'll copy it here later.

G'day @Ozcall...  'twas @muon* mentioned it.

Can you shed any light please buddy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

G'day @Ozcall...  'twas @muon* mentioned it.

Can you shed any light please buddy?

 

 

Yes, eletro's

They drift, and can explode :D

 

Example of drift, one i replaced in Matts B&W speakers, they were all way out with them between plus 50% to near 100% extra capacitance values, crossover points will be way out.

 

 

20210325_200352.jpg.75436bba85942123d418cb8ca8f3fbe7.jpg

 

 

Edited by muon*
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, muon* said:

 

 

Yes, eletro's

They drift, and can explode :D

 

Example of drift, one i replaced in Matts B&W speakers, they were all way out with them between plus 50% to near 100% extra capacitance values, crossover points will be way out.

 

 

20210325_200352.jpg.75436bba85942123d418cb8ca8f3fbe7.jpg

 

 

 

Awesome.  Thankyou, will definitely desolder and check, replacing if required.

 

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
Oops.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

G'day Folks.

 

First 2 coats of Japan Black stain & varnish, with a light sand in between.

 

Removed old grille cloth, filled in some corners on the frames...  rounded the edges and applied grey undercoat.  I've ordered some cheaper grille fabric from ebay for my first attempt at re-covering.  Planning on using a hot glue gun for application.

IMG_2021-05-06-14-08-24-514.thumb.jpg.32127b2ca09badb2654a441bec40fee7.jpg

 

IMG_2021-05-06-14-09-14-587_1.jpg.3de369254027813454e6b9f4e9ca9514.jpg

 

IMG_2021-05-06-14-12-21-888_1.jpg.74e37f2e71993578d61ad7ab9d08a3d7.jpg

 

IMG_2021-05-06-14-10-26-707_1.jpg.9ee520f770df721aaafaba4d73738bba.jpg

 

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
Link to post
Share on other sites

From memory, Celef was founded by Stewart Tyler in the early 70’s with him also founding ProAc in the late 70’s.

 

I vaguely remember the 2 brands co-existing for quite a while (magazine reviews of both brands at the same time) but Celef no longer manufactures speakers - they were however, no slouches.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...