Old People's Home for 4 Year Olds

We stumbled across this at Episode 3, and found it compelling & moving TV. 

image.png.a1d539d2537141713cd851e49a55a9e5.png

It was wonderful to see people change for the better.  I wish our society could adopt the lessons from this experiment.  It would make our older folk happier and healthier, bringing benefits to all of us.  Please make time to see this wonderful series...

• Like 6

Sad to see the end of the experiment last night, but incredible to see the measured improvements of all the participants, young and old.  Delighted to see the smiles on all the old lonely folk, what a change!  If only we can scale out and replicate this in the wider community...

• Like 4

Experimental shows can beneficial to watch.  In reality it’s very different, if you worked in the industry I swear you’ll never place children with some folks.  The toxic nature and behaviour of some individual are very confronting,  all you have to do is tune into MAF.

9 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Experimental shows can beneficial to watch.  In reality it’s very different, if you worked in the industry I swear you’ll never place children with some folks.  The toxic nature and behaviour of some individual are very confronting,  all you have to do is tune into MAF.

Yes, there are many, many difficult older folk. Likely, many do not want to be involved in society, and will not take part in a program such as this.

We can either watch the program and treat it like just another enjoyable TV show. Or take the opportunity to start something that benefits all of us. Even the most cynical will recognise that healthier, happier older folk, living independently, will cost society a lot less in medical and support services.

It will not be easy to replicate and scale out the experiment in the real world. But we owe it to those old people who are willing to give it a go. 

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Yes, there are many, many difficult older folk. Likely, many do not want to be involved in society, and will not take part in a program such as this.

We can either watch the program and treat it like just another enjoyable TV show. Or take the opportunity to start something that benefits all of us. Even the most cynical will recognise that healthier, happier older folk, living independently, will cost society a lot less in medical and support services.

It will not be easy to replicate and scale out the experiment in the real world. But we owe it to those old people who are willing to give it a go. 

it is feasible for some individuals,  but a lot are just not recommended to be near young children...   I was happy to allow my kids near a nice old retired teacher that I have absolute respect for,  unfortunately some in nursing homes are just toxic,  young children have the habit of mimicking adults behaviour,  the ads you see about verbal and physical abuse on medical staff are very real.  There’s also incidents where residence in homes are setting up staff to have them sacked, however nursing homes are nursing homes, usually they are restricted to save money and make a profit hence the current royal commission after covid.  

• Like 1

Key points noted from the show for me were: 

Maintain being physically and mentally active 

Be socially involved/engaged

Much more has to be done to support our ageing community

I watched another documentary where elderly residents of Aged Care facilities were given mp3 players/headphones loaded with popular music from their era........ the transformation of most was quite remarkable!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

it is feasible for some individuals,  but a lot are just not recommended to be near young children...   I was happy to allow my kids near a nice old retired teacher that I have absolute respect for,  unfortunately some in nursing homes are just toxic,  young children have the habit of mimicking adults behaviour,  the ads you see about verbal and physical abuse on medical staff are very real.  There’s also incidents where residence in homes are setting up staff to have them sacked, however nursing homes are nursing homes, usually they are restricted to save money and make a profit hence the current royal commission after covid.  

I appreciate the insights on nursing homes. But here, we are discussing about people who are not ready to go to nursing homes, living at home by themselves. They are also volunteers for the program. 

But I do take your point that not everyone is suitable...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I appreciate the insights on nursing homes. But here, we are discussing about people who are not ready to go to nursing homes, living at home by themselves. They are also volunteers for the program. 

But I do take your point that not everyone is suitable...

Not any different to society in general.........there's good and bad.

It annoys me to see how slow the recommendations from the Enquiry into Elderly Abuse are being implemented....

4 hours ago, Archie McCafferty said:

Not any different to society in general.........there's good and bad.

It annoys me to see how slow the recommendations from the Enquiry into Elderly Abuse are being implemented....

Elderly Abuse Policies are implemented in all accredited Homes,  ive seen online courses that the Boss who is a Enrolled Nurse does on annual bases,   it’s now a criminal offence and highly likely of becoming deregistered for life to take advantage or behave in any kind of abuse to elderly person under your care,  her job has increase difficulties and challenges as every individual is different and has different tolerance and emotional levels.   what’s even more difficult is the implementation of the recommendation in Aged Care to controlled the operators that makes life difficult to medical staff and residence that constantly operate to save costs.  The Commonwealth has a lot to answer for especially when it comes to audits.   The pre warnings they give that enables  Homes to be accredited is just plain wrong,  the audits should be conducted without notice in my opinion, the pre warnings preps the operators to ensure standards are meet and that usually ensures they are well equipped,  after the audit is completed and the accreditation is endorsed, that standard falls.   The cycle repeats.  Hopefully this is one of the recommendations in the latest Royal Commission in Aged Care.  

18 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Elderly Abuse Policies are implemented in all accredited Homes,  ive seen online courses that the Boss who is a Enrolled Nurse does on annual bases,   it’s now a criminal offence and highly likely of becoming deregistered for life to take advantage or behave in any kind of abuse to elderly person under your care,  her job has increase difficulties and challenges as every individual is different and has different tolerance and emotional levels.   what’s even more difficult is the implementation of the recommendation in Aged Care to controlled the operators that makes life difficult to medical staff and residence that constantly operate to save costs.  The Commonwealth has a lot to answer for especially when it comes to audits.   The pre warnings they give that enables  Homes to be accredited is just plain wrong,  the audits should be conducted without notice in my opinion, the pre warnings preps the operators to ensure standards are meet and that usually ensures they are well equipped,  after the audit is completed and the accreditation is endorsed, that standard falls.   The cycle repeats.  Hopefully this is one of the recommendations in the latest Royal Commission in Aged Care.  

The above  is a digression and has  nothing to do whatsoever with this  thread.  Start another thread.

John

9 hours ago, Archie McCafferty said:

Key points noted from the show for me were: 

Maintain being physically and mentally active 

Be socially involved/engaged

Having worked in aged care and disabled care for a reasonable number of years this is, IMO, where the truth resides. 

The saying "Use it or lose it." applies in almost every area of human endeavour.

• Like 2

My wife is a community aged carer where the aim is to permit the elderly to remain as independent / safe as possible in their own homes.

I never cease to be touched by the messages / cards / letters of thanks  my wife receives from those she cares for and their families particularly when these people pass away.

There is a degree of genuine truth in the saying that a society can be judged on how they care for their elderly and disabled.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

For those that enjoyed the show Betty from season 2 has always been know to me as Aunty Betty. 

Her life has changed in positive ways and is currently being recognised and fussed over on the street.

Most of the seniors still meet regularly and she maintains contact with the family of her little one.

We didn’t know she would be on the show until one night we were flicking the TV and took a double take when she appeared.

Made for good viewing compared to some of the rubbish on TV 

• Like 2

having worked in health settings for over four decades, treating people with respect, dignity and understanding gives simular results, finding out about peoples background and connecting on these levels forms good bonds. the show highlights , to me, the practices of old europe where the family nucleuous supported itself, now we have individuals seperated from the family as seperate and self contained, both have merits. grandparents being paid to look after grandkids, this was done in the past to help children get ahead in life. today we look at a show on tv which highlights the value of this connection, priceless

• Like 2