Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators

Looking to upgrade my speakers in the next couple of months, they will be used for HT duties as well as 2 channel digital streaming/vinyl listening.

 

I'm looking at either Krix or B&W as below, I will of course go and audition both but I'm interested in others thoughts.

 

B&W:

Front: 702 S2

Centre: HTM71 S2

Surround: 703 S2 or 705 S2

Rear Surround: 705 S2

 

Krix:

Front: Neuphonix Mk2

Centre: Epicentrix Mk2

Surround: Phoenix Mk2 or Acoustix Mk2

Rear Surround: Acoustix Mk2

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it a dedicated HT where aesthetics is not important ? If so put Pro PA speakers on your radar - I have Wharfedale Pro Titan 8s all round and multiple subs and it sounds every bit as good as Wes Coast Hifi $20,000 Krix Wall of Sound demo room for less than 1/10 of the price. 

See here :

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/behringer-b215xl-and-b212xl-speakers-for-home-theater.3142514/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had roughly the same 2 systems as my final choices, after Auditioning both of them back to back at the same retailer, it was the "Size/Breadth" of the soundstage of the Krix that sent me in that direction. I loved the 702's for music, just found the HTM71 a little lacking compared to the Krix for HT. I went with the Phonix on walls for Sides & Rears. The Epicentrix is a beast of a speaker though, (around 40kg) make sure you have the space to support it. Enjoy the shopping

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
9 hours ago, niterida said:

Is it a dedicated HT where aesthetics is not important ? If so put Pro PA speakers on your radar - I have Wharfedale Pro Titan 8s all round and multiple subs and it sounds every bit as good as Wes Coast Hifi $20,000 Krix Wall of Sound demo room for less than 1/10 of the price. 

See here :

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/behringer-b215xl-and-b212xl-speakers-for-home-theater.3142514/

No it's a dual purpose lounge/HT room so aesthetics do play a part.

 

52 minutes ago, kudeta2003 said:

I had roughly the same 2 systems as my final choices, after Auditioning both of them back to back at the same retailer, it was the "Size/Breadth" of the soundstage of the Krix that sent me in that direction. I loved the 702's for music, just found the HTM71 a little lacking compared to the Krix for HT. I went with the Phonix on walls for Sides & Rears. The Epicentrix is a beast of a speaker though, (around 40kg) make sure you have the space to support it. Enjoy the shopping

 

Yes, looking at the two centre speakers I was definitely thinking that the Krix would be a great sounding unit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Kazz

 

I've tried Phoenix Mk2s and Acoustix Mk2s as surrounds and rear surrounds, used with Neuphonix Mk2 fronts and Epicentrix Mk2 centre.

 

The Phoenix are great, but low-ish for a floorstander (950mm vs Neuphonix 1046mm).  In my application, this meant when used as surrounds the  height was ok, but when used as surround rears they were firing into the back of the sofa.  The sofa was not particularly high backed.

  

I later tried some Acoustix on a hall table behind the sofa and used the Phoenix as surrounds.  Definitely better but I noticed the height difference between the Acoustix and Phoenix. 

 

Next was Acoustix for surrounds and surround rears.  This is what I am using now.  Two are on the hall table.  The  other two on Solidsteel SS6 stands (Combined height 1075mm). 

This works particularly well.  With the Neuphonix on 40mm plinths to match the height of the Epicentrix, the tweeter heights of all speakers are remarkably close and the sound nicely cohesive.

 

The only other thing I'd add is that in the above application, the Acoustix want for nothing compared to the Phoenix.  In a stereo system though when used as the main speakers, I  find the Phoenix a noticeably better speaker.

 

Hope it helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just remember in HT setup you'll more than likely run a 80hz crossover to your sub/s, so large floorstanders are not really required. By all means use a larger L & R speaker for music if you can bypass the HT dsp settings.

 

As my HT room is almost exclusively for movies I actually downgraded from my large Focal Chorus 826VW to the standmount 807VW and don't feel I've lost any SQ or dynamics. I put the cash towards a livingroom 2ch system.

 

I also looked at the Krix and B&W systems before choosing Focal for the extra clarity and detail

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2021 at 8:22 AM, Kazz said:

Looking to upgrade my speakers in the next couple of months, they will be used for HT duties as well as 2 channel digital streaming/vinyl listening.

 

I'm looking at either Krix or B&W as below, I will of course go and audition both but I'm interested in others thoughts.

 

B&W:

Front: 702 S2

Centre: HTM71 S2

Surround: 703 S2 or 705 S2

Rear Surround: 705 S2

 

Krix:

Front: Neuphonix Mk2

Centre: Epicentrix Mk2

Surround: Phoenix Mk2 or Acoustix Mk2

Rear Surround: Acoustix Mk2

Hi Kaz ,

Another Option could be a full set of Adelaide Speakers. I  demoed Krix set up a few years ago but was not able to afford it so ended up with Edwards's  Timberwolf front stage. I have been very happy with this set up and Centre Channel does the job fine. I reckon his 283SQ center will sound as good as Epicentrix. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
On 27/04/2021 at 2:56 PM, blybo said:

Just remember in HT setup you'll more than likely run a 80hz crossover to your sub/s, so large floorstanders are not really required. By all means use a larger L & R speaker for music if you can bypass the HT dsp settings.

I also looked at the Krix and B&W systems before choosing Focal for the extra clarity and detail

Yep looking at a 2ch amp with HT bypass.

Hadn't thought of Focal, will consider that.

 

On 27/04/2021 at 2:44 PM, Dalspec said:

The only other thing I'd add is that in the above application, the Acoustix want for nothing compared to the Phoenix. 

I'm leaning towards the Acoustix on stands for surrounds and rears.

 

On 27/04/2021 at 6:11 PM, gillmaverick said:

Another Option could be a full set of Adelaide Speakers.

I've read good things about the Adelaide speakers but not being able to audition them as I'm in Melbourne is a sticking point.

 

I'll be going to have a listen to the Krix and B&Ws on Saturday at a dealer that has both.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure if you’ve contacted Krix to discuss your thoughts....Michael who handles the customer service/social media replies. Is very quick to reply as well as detailed with his responses. Ask a bunch of questions about what to run where etc and he’ll give some good insight on his suggestions. I sent them a message via Facebook messenger and he was most helpful.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kazz said:

Yep looking at a 2ch amp with HT bypass.

Hadn't thought of Focal, will consider that.

 

I'm leaning towards the Acoustix on stands for surrounds and rears.

 

I've read good things about the Adelaide speakers but not being able to audition them as I'm in Melbourne is a sticking point.

 

I'll be going to have a listen to the Krix and B&Ws on Saturday at a dealer that has both.

Well Mate ,

Not sure where you are in Melbourne but You are more than welcome to come and have a listen to my System.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...