OLED burn in

I’m looking at buying a Loewe Bild 5 65” OLED.

My wife, who has brain cancer, watches Tele for around 12 hour’s a day and it’s usually on a news broadcast with one of those large footers, you know, Breaking News etc etc. 

Now I’ve read this said to be better than LED technology suffers from “burn in”.

Have any of you OLED owners experienced this issue?

It’s very real, I’ve posted many shots here on SNA form JB HiFI, Myers etc.   I will never own a OLED from the experience of these shots....

I see less burn in displays now and that’s because according to on sales guy that as soon as a display shows the effects,  they make on phone call to the distributor and it gets replaced for free....  Now that only applies to store displays.  
You have to asked why many computer screens are not OLED and most are still typical LEDs even some used in professional graphic design work where accuracy is a must.   

• Thanks 1

Interesting that various laptops, PC monitors, phones etc now use OLED. Even Samsung who ran various advertisements attacking OLED (though using similar tech in their phones, and producing for many others) and pushing QLED, are set to release quantum dot OLED TV's. That should be an interesting advertising campaign.

Time will tell where it all ends up I guess.

Edited by wilsact

13 minutes ago, wilsact said:

Interesting that various laptops, PC monitors, phones etc now use OLED. 

And some of these applications are now showing up on the net with the effects of screen burn in that you can’t repair. 

14 minutes ago, wilsact said:

Interesting that various lato release quantum dot OLED TV's. That should be an interesting advertising campaign.

Time will tell where it all ends up I guess.

The next technology from Samsung etc will not be OLEDs....  They are deviating away from organic materials, exiting times...    The technology will be the same as individual Diodes will emit light.  

the still current Sony A9G comes with instructions on how to avoid/ minimise the burn in possibility including a form of de-gauzing, that they ask you to carry out occasionally. BTW if your after one of these beauties by asking for price matching at JB's your able to buy them now for $5995.00, I just did.

7 hours ago, wilsact said:

It’s to fill in the gap until there R and D get the next gen of technology right.   Nothing new.   It’s obvious that the market is buying into the OLE and winning the game.   Doesn’t say that OLED is perfect, it’s not! 

Edited by Addicted to music

On 24/04/2021 at 7:51 PM, Addicted to music said:

It’s to fill in the gap until there R and D get the next gen of technology right.   Nothing new.   It’s obvious that the market is buying into the OLE and winning the game.   Doesn’t say that OLED is perfect, it’s not! 

Samsung is only getting these estimated 4 million OLED panels as a stop gap to hold market share.

It didn't really have a option, as LG has really ramped up OLED manufacturing, which has made OLED much cheaper.

Samsung can't currently manufacture their own screen technology and have it sold at a competitive price, besides it's still basically generation 1.5 and can't currently compete on the picture quality of a OLED TV, the only place where it's better is in no burn in and a far higher nit output.

On 24/04/2021 at 9:45 AM, Addicted to music said:

You have to asked why many computer screens are not OLED and most are still typical LEDs even some used in professional graphic design work where accuracy is a must.  

The reason businesses don't buy OLED is they're just a lot more expensive than an LED screen that will do just as well. Possibly different kettle of fish when it comes to graphic requirements, but for a standard MS set of products and a few others - why would you pay 3 (or more) times as much for something to display simple stuff?

Edited by Cloth Ears
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Cannot understand why so many people think a TV must be OLED ?  

If burn in is a concern, then go LED.  Other then viewing angles, nothing wrong with say, Samsung QLED.  Please read this and look at the relative scores

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch

Except that Samsung TVs seem to have their internet connections fail after a few years.  This has happened to both Samsung HD TVs that we own.  As a result:

• with the first one, we had to buy an Apple TV box to be able to receive Netflix etc.
  • and with the second one, I had to run a 15m RJ45 cable from Telstra modem to the TV.

So I certainly will never buy a Samsung TV again.

Andy

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Well for me it’s because Loewe only use LG’s OLED panel and to my knowledge, Loewe is the only brand with a built in sound bar, 3 tuners and 1T hard drive, these are the key features I’m after. Happy to buy LED if it has those features. 

Are you aware of other brands that might have those features?  It would be very helpful, Cheers 

Edited by Ratbob
Added to post
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

If burn in is a concern, then go LED.  Other then viewing angles, nothing wrong with say, Samsung QLED.  Please read this and look at the relative scores

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch

I wouldn’t say that is the case at all.

I can’t be ar$$ed googling it but I’m sure led sales will still outstrip oled quite significantly.

You may be getting the impression because this place is full of audio/video/techno files (ex-dtvforum members) that appreciate quality and spending the amount of money acquiring it is not a problem. And as it happens OLED is currently the pick of the crop for stunning visual imagery.

Once you have owned an OLED, you would likely not be able to accept the quality of a lesser tv technology.

Burn-in on OLED is largely over blown IMO. If you are careful with the panel for the first few months you largely mitigate the likelihood of burn-in.

But you are correct in that if you don’t understand or appreciate the quality OLED offers and you are watching a lot of content all day that has framing etc. an LED may be a better option.

44 minutes ago, andyr said:

Except that Samsung TVs seem to have their internet connections fail after a few years.  This has happened to both Samsung HD TVs that we own.  As a result:

• with the first one, we had to buy an Apple TV box to be able to receive Netflix etc.
  • and with the second one, I had to run a 15m RJ45 cable from Telstra modem to the TV.

So I certainly will never buy a Samsung TV again.

Andy

Fair enough, but my point was not about Samsung, just using it as an example. It was about picking OLED as first criteria.

40 minutes ago, Ratbob said:

Well for me it’s because Loewe only use LG’s OLED panel and to my knowledge, Loewe is the only brand with a built in sound bar, 3 tuners and 1T hard drive, these are the key features I’m after. Happy to buy LED if it has those features. 

Are you aware of other brands that might have those features?  It would be very helpful, Cheers 

I had  plasma TVs for many years and understand the challenges with burn in.

If you want an all in one box,  you have painted yourself into the OLED corner with a potential burn in problem. Yes, there is technology to reduce it, but given the viewing patterns, technology may not help. 

It is much cheaper if you mix and match TV, sound bar and PVR (recommend Fetch Mighty with 4 tuners, 1TB hard drive). And pay someone to install it.

Sorry, I may have been too blunt with my post, but I fear you may get disappointed.

13 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I wouldn’t say that is the case at all.

I can’t be ar$$ed googling it but I’m sure led sales will still outstrip oled quite significantly.

You may be getting the impression because this place is full of audio/video/techno files (ex-dtvforum members) that appreciate quality and spending the amount of money acquiring it is not a problem. And as it happens OLED is currently the pick of the crop for stunning visual imagery.

Once you have owned an OLED, you would likely not be able to accept the quality of a lesser tv technology.

Burn-in on OLED is largely over blown IMO. If you are careful with the panel for the first few months you largely mitigate the likelihood of burn-in.

But you are correct in that if you don’t understand or appreciate the quality OLED offers and you are watching a lot of content all day that has framing etc. an LED may be a better option.

I owned plasma TVs before switching to LED.  Fully appreciate what OLED can deliver, but was not prepared to pay double. Never had a burn in problem because we know what to look for and actively prevent it.

In OPs case, the viewing patterns suggest that FTA logo burn is more likely than not...

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

12 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

In OPs case, the viewing patterns suggest that FTA logo burn is more likely than not...

Mate, Seems like a loose/long bow to draw given you haven’t owned one but I also had plasma and IME, burn-in is less of an issue on OLED than plasma.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

If you want an all in one box,  you have painted yourself into the OLED corner with a potential burn in problem.

Yeah I think so too. We currently have a Loewe 45” LED with the features I mentioned and with which my wife has become accustomed to using. Unfortunately her brain cancer has also affected her vision so moving to a 65” should be better for her and maintaining a single familiar remote is pretty much essential, so yeah, guess I’ll have to pay the 8 grand and take the chance.

Cheers

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Mate, Seems like a loose/long bow to draw given you haven’t owned one but I also had plasma and IME, burn-in is less of an issue on OLED than plasma.

I agree OLED burn is less of a problem compared with plasma, but it is still a chance.  While you know what not to do, many don't...

I appear to be an outlier here, so no more from me in this thread....

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I agree OLED burn is less of a problem compared with plasma, but it is still a chance.  While you know what not to do, many don't...

No mate, all experience is valuable 👍 I may have jumped on what you said, but you are right there is still a chance. And when paying for A Leowe I wouldn’t want to get it wrong.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Ratbob said:

Yeah I think so too. We currently have a Loewe 45” LED with the features I mentioned and with which my wife has become accustomed to using. Unfortunately her brain cancer has also affected her vision so moving to a 65” should be better for her and maintaining a single familiar remote is pretty much essential, so yeah, guess I’ll have to pay the 8 grand and take the chance.

Cheers

For $8K, talk to the people you're buying it from, as set-up advice should be part of the purchase price (or extra, if need be). Also, there's another thread somewhere about getting TV's calibrated. Those same people may offer service/advice on how to set-up for your particular situation.

Just saying, for $8K, I'd be expecting a little more than just "here's your telly!" - for $7K, our 77" OLED was delivered, mounted on the wall and set-up for us.

• Thanks 1

Guest thathifiguy
11 hours ago, Ratbob said:

Cheers

This channel she watches, is it safe to say there are ad breaks? If ads are run every 15 - 30 minutes for a minute or two, plus anti burn-in methods are in place (like pixel shifting mentioned above), I don't see why it would be an issue, especially after the first couple of months of use.

I have been an early adopter of OLED, I bought the 2nd gen LG panel 55EC930 and never had an issue with burn-in.

I have since upsized to a Sony OLED and again, no issue. This is even with the TV being in the main room and constantly being used by the kids.

I'm not saying it cannot happen, but I feel as though it is overly represented by very vocal minorities.

One caveat - I would suggest not having the TV set to either Dynamic (Shop Mode) or Standard picture settings.

Edited by thathifiguy
One Caveat

12 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

OK, I'll back you up. I have an OLED and I have burn-in which is an outside outline of the FOXTEL Sports logo. Interestingly it only appears when displaying red or shades of red. I didn't have the orbiter on which presumably why it happened and it has not gotten any worse since I turned it back on. I'm fairly sure they come out of the box with the orbiter on and I regrettably turned it off when I first got my LG 2016 model. 😔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1