Denon DL-160 - time to replace/re-tip - result

I have really enjoyed my Denon DL-160 over the past few years but it is now getting to the stage where it needs to be replaced or re-tipped.

Is re-tipping worth it?

The only other cartridge I have used with my Thorens TD-321 and Rega RB300 arm is an Audio Technica AT-F5OCC in both its original form and then re-tipped by Garrott Bros after a run in with a small child.

Any suggestions from those more experienced than me would be greatly appreciated, budget up to lets say $700. 

Cheers Graham

Edited by graham121
  • graham121 changed the title to Denon DL-160 - time to replace/re-tip - seeking suggestions

The specs for the Denon DL-160 are pretty good so you could certainly get @cafe latte to re-tip it.

Given that it's a HOMC, though, I would suggest it may not be a good choice for your Consonance Reference 40 phono stage. - given that its specs say it only has the standard 40dB MM gain.  (40dB is perfect for 5mV output carts ... but for 1.6mV, you really need 46-50dB gain.)

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I must admit I didn’t consider that when I purchased the R40.

What I have  found out since owning it for a few months now is that using the MC setting at 57db gives me the best sound, I just have the volume on the amp a bit lower than when listening to the CD input.

20 minutes ago, graham121 said:

What I have  found out since owning it for a few months now is that using the MC setting at 57db gives me the best sound, I just have the volume on the amp a bit lower than when listening to the CD input.

Sure, that gives you the best sound out of the options that are available to you ... but their use of a SUT to give the extra gain for a LOMC means that the loading the DL-160 sees will not be appropriate for a HOMC.  IOW ... you can get better sound from your DL-160 - but not, unfortunately, using the R40.  :(

Andy

That confirms my thoughts Andy that I most would most likely be better off going down the traditional LOMC or MM route ( not overly fussed either way )to get the ultimate performance out of my cartridge.

Of course, that means I now have to select a new cartridge and hope I like it!

8 minutes ago, graham121 said:

That confirms my thoughts Andy that I most would most likely be better off going down the traditional LOMC or MM route ( not overly fussed either way )to get the ultimate performance out of my cartridge.

Of course, that means I now have to select a new cartridge and hope I like it!

The dl160 is a great cart and can be retipped, I retipped a dl110 and it sounded better than my 160, the dl160 is a great high output MC. If you go low output lots of options. One of best bargains out there is the dl103, but you will need an arm that is heavier than most though.

What is budget for upgrade?

Chris

59 minutes ago, graham121 said:

Or you change your phono stage.  ;)

Andy

10 minutes ago, cafe latte said:

The dl160 is a great cart and can be retipped, I retipped a dl110 and it sounded better than my 160, the dl160 is a great high output MC. If you go low output lots of options. One of best bargains out there is the dl103, but you will need an arm that is heavier than most though.

What is budget for upgrade?

Chris

Thanks Chris, good to know about the success you have had with retipping the dl110. Do you just retip or change the cantilever too?

Happy to spend upto around $350 to refurb the DL-160.

I am confused now though as I really like the way the dl-160 performs but it would appear based on Andy’s comments above I might not be getting the best out of it with the choice of gain settings I have on my phono pre-amp.

13 minutes ago, andyr said:

Or you change your phono stage.  ;)

Andy

Yeah...nah, lol! 

14 minutes ago, graham121 said:

Thanks Chris, good to know about the success you have had with retipping the dl110. Do you just retip or change the cantilever too?

I am confused now though as I really like the way the dl-160 performs but it would appear based on Andy’s comments above I might not be getting the best out of it with the choice of gain settings I have on my phono pre-amp.

PM, I can do either.

Chris

• Like 1
12 hours ago, graham121 said:

If you do decide to get the re-tip done, I can endorse Chris's work as it was my DL 110 he did, I'm sitting here listening to it right now, it really is very good

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I am very pleased to say that @cafe latte has worked his magic and the DL160 has been returned with a boron cantilever and MR profile stylus and it is absolutely singing now.

I was expecting a bit of an improvement but certainly not as much as this; whilst maintaining the overall sound characteristics it is now so much more dynamic, the bass is tighter and faster, soundstage is deeper, vocals are more defined and percussion is more refined with the whole presentation being a much more immersive and involving experience.

So a big thanks and a big thumbs up to Chris, I highly recommend his work and service should anyone be considering a retip.

• Like 2

• graham121 changed the title to Denon DL-160 - time to replace/re-tip - result
1 hour ago, graham121 said:

Well I am very pleased to say that @cafe latte has worked his magic and the DL160 has been returned with a boron cantilever and MR profile stylus and it is absolutely singing now.

I was expecting a bit of an improvement but certainly not as much as this; whilst maintaining the overall sound characteristics it is now so much more dynamic, the bass is tighter and faster, soundstage is deeper, vocals are more defined and percussion is more refined with the whole presentation being a much more immersive and involving experience.

So a big thanks and a big thumbs up to Chris, I highly recommend his work and service should anyone be considering a retip.

:thumb:

Andy

(Then again, there are people here who would say ... "you're dreamin"!  :lol: )

• Haha 1