Hello Guys,

Good day

Looking for someone recommendations for new machine,

Can you guys help with your experience please.

Have shortlisted few cars yet to test drive. Brand new / Automatic only

1. Golf R/GTI MK8 

2. Mercedes A35

3. BMW 128ti 

4. Audi S3

5. Renault Megane RS Trophy

which has atleast  130kW/t power to weight ratio..

Is there any cars you guys recommend? Merits /demerits..

Thanks in advance

@metal beat@ArthurDent

Edited by MOOV
GTI
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Moov   I owned the mk7 GTI for 5 years and the 7.5 R for the last 15 months.     To start with,  I drive a bit like a boi racer and ZERO problems with the DSG gear box.  In fact

as a prior golf GTI owner, I still think it seems a tragedy to spend over $63k on a golf GTI !    have to ask do you really need a practical family hatch back at  62 ? we found useful when h

Hello there Srini, hope you are well mate. I will likely be howled down and sent to the naughty corner for this, but it is my dream affordable hatch and I hope to own one at some point in time.  

55 minutes ago, MOOV said:

Golf - water pump/thermostat

issues, occasionally DSG issues

Even though I was considering the BMW 128ti I can only speak for the Golf and the Mk8 Golfs are looking pretty impressive.

I'm not sure what revision they're on for the water pump that's fitted to the EA888 engines but I would think by now they've sorted it as I haven't seen anyone reporting issues on Mk7.5's.

The 7 speed wet clutch DQ380/381 as fitted from Mk7 onwards is pretty much bullet proof.

I can't comment on how it drives as an auto though as I only ever use it as a tiptronic manual.

Best advice is to watch and read every review out there which should highlight any shortcomings and drive all of them, preferably more than just around the block.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

Best advice is to watch and read every review out there which should highlight any shortcomings and drive all of them, preferably more than just around the block.

Thank you so much. May I please know what would be your preference between VW GTI vs GTI TCR vs Golf R? 

They are all great cars - buy which ever one YOU like the most.

I bought a M135i because its RWD - I hate FWD and in my price range (secondhand) the Audi/Golf AWDs scared me off with the DSG issues so that only  left the A45 which was too expensive. So my choice was the BMW even though it is not the prettiest or the best handling or the fastest or most practical out of all the options but it was the best option for ME 

Plus the missus already had a 120 hatch and wanted another one - happy wife, happy life :)

Edited by niterida
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MOOV said:

Thank you so much. May I please know what would be your preference between VW GTI vs GTI TCR vs Golf R? 

I've never really been a fan of R's.

Great for stop light drags but the extra weight shows in the twisty bits despite the extra traction from the sort of part time fake AWD.

The Mk8 changes that because for the first time the R gets not just one but two LSD's and it shows in how quick it is.

So for the first time ever an R is quicker than a GTI with the same engine, ie. a Clubsport.

Still heavier though and the whole Mk8 range is a 100kg heavier than the Mk7's which is something I can't get my head around.

There's no Mk8 TCR and it looks like we won't get the Mk8 GTI Clubsport here so as much as it pains me, it would be a Mk8 R.

• Like 1

I am sort of in the same position. Had 2 Golf Rs and 2 GTis and don't really want to look at another Golf interior (or exterior for that matter) for a while so am trying to find an alternative to the Golf 8, but:

(remembering beauty is in the eye of the beholder :))

2. Mercedes A35 - want to like it but can't stand the dash.

3. BMW 128ti - want to like it but the grill is a disaster and the read end messy

4.Skoda Superb 206TSI 4*4 - again want to like it but just don't like Skoda design

5. BMW M135i - ditto the 128

So I am not sure. I love the look of the Alfa Giulia but I know resale is an issue and no dealer in Brisbane. The new Genesis 70 looks good too (both these are rear whell drive) but the same caveats as the Alfa. I like the Arteon but not sure if we are getting the new model and again it is a VW dash. The S3 is nice but the wife has an A3 so looking for something different. Just does not seem to be the "right" car right now for me so will probably wait.

If you have not owned a Golf then I can fully recommend them. I have not had any of the mentioned issues across some 200,000kms in total. I even bought a manual R the first time (6) to avoid the DSG issues and blew the clutch (possibly because I chipped it). That is the only issue I have ever had. The DSG in the Golf 7 has been perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got a Skoda 206TSI wagon as my work vehicle.

It's the best all-round vehicle that I've had, but there's a definite trade-off between space vs handling, driving dynamics and outright performance. It's in a different category of vehicle than the other cars on the list. If cabin space, rear legroom and boot space is a priority (whether in wagon or sedan format) it's definitely worth a test drive and is a fantastic family chariot. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, MOOV said:

Hello Guys,

Good day

I am in the market for new speed machine, which can also be used as daily drive with family, planning to purchase early to mid 2022. 

Have shortlisted few cars yet to test drive.

1. Golf R/GTI TCR MK8 

2. Mercedes A35

3. BMW 128ti 

4.Skoda Superb 206TSI 4*4

5. BMW M135i

Maximum Budget: Mid $75k

Is there any cars you guys recommend. This is going to be very first fast car.

Also know mechanical issues in the car / customer service issues from the manufacturer. 

Golf - water pump/thermostat

issues, occasionally DSG issues

Mercedes A35 - not heard any issues

BMW??

Skoda - Water pump,DSG as like VW??

Thanks in advance

@metal beat@ArthurDent

Pic for attention

Screenshot_2021-04-23-12-45-49-24.jpg

Why no Japanese cars?

I would go for the A35 in the sedan body style - great practicality in a goldielocks size and a good overall driving experience.  And I like it's dash.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Why no Japanese cars?

Can you please let me know  a Japanese car which has atleast 230kw/ 400nm and 140kW/t power to weight ratio?

10 minutes ago, MOOV said:

Can you please let me know  a Japanese car which has atleast 230kw/ 400nm and 140kW/t power to weight ratio?

How old are you?

There's always the Honda Civic Type R as that fits the brief.

Type R would be the best driver's car of all on the list but may be hard to source now.

Edited by lucmor444
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

There's always the Honda Civic Type R as that fits the brief.

Cool we can add to the list too ? 

And I am 62

Edited by MOOV
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

And what about an Audi S3?

Is VW golf R and S3 more like same in terms of mechanics?

6 minutes ago, MOOV said:

And I am 62

Do you get around in sports wear, trainers and a back the front baseball cap?

If so it might be the car for you ?

5 minutes ago, MOOV said:

Is VW golf R and S3 more like same in terms of mechanics?

Yes.

Audi has better interior.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, lucmor444 said:

I would go for the A35 in the sedan body style - great practicality in a goldielocks size and a good overall driving experience.  And I like it's dash.

The Sedan A35 is easily the best looking of the cars on the list (on the outside :)).

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

Do you get around in sports wear, trainers and a back the front baseball cap?

Yes Mate , I do...and I use Nike...brand ?

Edited by MOOV
  • Haha 1
38 minutes ago, MOOV said:

And I am 62

Hello there Srini, hope you are well mate. I will likely be howled down and sent to the naughty corner for this, but it is my dream affordable hatch and I hope to own one at some point in time.

Have a look.

https://www.renault.com.au/vehicles/cars/megane/rs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Lindsay ,

Thanks for the recommendation. Renault

Much appreciated your time. @rantan

Regards,

Srini

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MOOV said:

Hi Moov

I owned the mk7 GTI for 5 years and the 7.5 R for the last 15 months.

To start with,  I drive a bit like a boi racer and ZERO problems with the DSG gear box.  In fact no issues period with the GTI or R.

The GTI is the fun car. You just want to zip around all the time. You push the car hard, it feels fast sometimes to the point of losing control, however you never do lose control. 

The R feels more luxurious,  is quieter for normal driving. You never seem to lose control with the car and this is why some people feel the R is a little boring. 

The GTI seems nippier and is great fun to drive. The R does feel slightly heavier and it is.  The R has superior speed  - you put the foot down in sports and it flies.

Both great cars, however I am very happy with the R now as I feel more satisfied driving slower most of the time vs the GTI.

Have fun as there are no wring choices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@rantan, Megane RS Trophy.

Will sure do test drive when ever possible. Does this car have any know issues ?

Thanks again Srini

2 minutes ago, MOOV said:

@rantan, Megane RS Trophy.

Will sure do test drive when ever possible. Does this car have any know issues ?

Thanks again Srini

Resale value.

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, metal beat said:

Both great cars, however I am very happy with the R now as I feel more satisfied driving slower most of the time vs the GTI.

Thank you so much.

MK8 GTI 

will test ride both once available in AU. Will wait for Golf R price!

Much appreciated your time.

Edited by MOOV
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pops9745 said:

If you have not owned a Golf then I can fully recommend

Thanks, yes never had a Golf and first time VW.

GTI or R? As you own both which is more fun to drive on our roads(not race track ?)

Thank you

Edited by MOOV

Your choices are hatches not sports cars; just sayin

But out of your list,

Megane, bmw 128ti, Hyundai 130n would be the more ‘sporty’ engaging drives

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, niterida said:

Yaris ?

That is my current car mate?

• Like 1

Well your choices are probably downgrades/ sidegrades  in comparison, time to step up to a sports car and flex the budget or let someone else take a hit on the depreciation.. plenty of options then 

Edited by murrmax
  • Haha 2
18 minutes ago, MOOV said:

That is my current car mate?

why bother with your list,

someone I know is having a ball in this one.   Excellent on fuel efficiency too!  

9588C77E-3950-42B2-B792-1ED7581AD047.jpeg

15 minutes ago, murrmax said:

Well your choices are probably downgrades/ sidegrades  in comparison, time to step up to a sports car and flex the budget or let someone else take a hit on the depreciation.. plenty of options then 

like all retirees and mature professionals who have a mid life Crisis,  see many driving there Tesla to prove a point.  Why not,  great handling and pulls 3-5 secs for 0-100.   

23 minutes ago, murrmax said:

for example

• MOOV changed the title to Cars
9 hours ago, MOOV said:

Looking for someone recommendations for new machine,

Have shortlisted few cars yet to test drive. Brand new / Automatic only

1. Golf R/GTI MK8 

2. Mercedes A35

3. BMW 128ti 

4. BMW M135i

5. Renault Megane RS Trophy

depends what chasing, handling and fwd with good looks just get the megane 

am a prior merc a250 owner which was better car than getting another golf gti ... again ...

golf r ... meh ... sorry but didn’t buy it over golf gti had prior ...

bmw 128ti ? See what a m140i owner has to say who got one as loan car ...

“I didn't realise it was a ti when I got handed the key, but it had a bit of get up and go about it. Handled rather average though. Seats super comfy and interior mainly nice. Few tacky bits... 
I personally think they should always put you in at least a model up from your car to encourage an upgrade, but never seems to happen...”

“Was not enjoyable cornering etc... Had good pace off the line, but lacked grunt when putting foot down on highway. 
The ti sewn into the console and the red bits on the outside I found a bit too much, but the contrast stitching on the seatbelts I quite liked as well as the seats which we ++++ comfy ! Centre console also was a gloss plastic which showed fingerprints super easy so I wasn't a fan of that and it didn't match the rest of the interior which was actually quite nice “

m135i ? As in current model ? I’d get a late model m140 i instead ... get a drive in a m140i and will know what I mean...

merc a35 as a previous merc a owner I will say as above get the sedan instead ... or late model a45 that will kack all over it !

as others have said ... why no Audi s3 ? 

out of this bunch the merc, bmw and Vw options really getting into silly money for what they are. in this list surely s3 or Megane would be lead contenders ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, betty boop said:

as others have said ... why no Audi s3 ? 

Bcos it has same engine like golf GTI/R in a different tune. Again 20k more than golf!

A35 is good car, but it's 20k more than golf gti... !

Need to test ride and get to know.is.that 20k.worth

Thank you

Edited by MOOV
1 minute ago, MOOV said:

Bcos it has same engine like golf GTI/R in a different tune. Again 20k more than golf!

You don’t pay $20k more for s3 over golf r if think so... then just  haven’t asked dealer what price let s3 go for... re golf gti the new model is out ... old one will tank in resale ... new one is stupid $60k prospect !

4 minutes ago, MOOV said:

A35 is good car, but it's 20k more than golf gti... !

A35 is better car than golf gti... but golf gti is very old car now ... superseded ... the a35 is fresh... if don’t mind superseded go test drive previous gen a45 see how much better car get for the money :)

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, MOOV said:

Need to test ride and get to know.is.that 20k.worth

Definitely test drive... at end best to decide for self... then doesn’t matter what anyone says here, as will know for self what’s best

i also wouldn’t worry re $20k more as deals are done... but only if serious to actually buy. Get heart set on what want first and then see best deal possible ... especially with cars models been out little while already... but I wouldn’t be eager to pay too much on stuff been out years now close to be superseded :) there is bit of supply demand issue with COVID which might effect bargaining power though ...

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, MOOV said:

Thanks, yes never had a Golf and first time VW.

GTI or R? As you own both which is more fun to drive on our roads(not race track ?)

Thank you

I actually think metal beat summed it up perfectly.

• Thanks 1

Since you might be considering non-Euro stuff, and your criteria was based on Kw/NM / weight/power ratio  how about the Kia Stinger 330S or 330GT? You can pick up 2018 ones from about 40K.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1