Atmos Set-up 2 vs 4 speakers

Hi everyone,

So my research has suggested that 4 in-ceiling atmos speakers are better than 2, since it gives both left-right and back-front.

But with my living room setup (attached), there is not much distance from the couch to the rear wall/sliding doors. I only care about listening from the couch. Should I just go with 2 instead because there isn't much room behind the listening area?

I was thinking about getting pivoting in-ceiling to aim at the couch if that helps.

Room Layout.png

4 is definitely better than 2.

Loose the coffee table move couch forward to be at 2/3 of room depth, now you can fit 4.

From image is your intention to place left atmos so far away? Needs to be similar distance as the right speaker. Also what about rear speakers? I don't see any.

Can you rotate layout 90 degrees to the right?

Guest niterida
1 hour ago, SGS said:

4 is definitely better than 2.

Loose the coffee table move couch forward to be at 2/3 of room depth, now you can fit 4.

This ^^^

On 24/04/2021 at 2:49 PM, SGS said:

From image is your intention to place left atmos so far away? Needs to be similar distance as the right speaker. Also what about rear speakers? I don't see any.

Can you rotate layout 90 degrees to the right?

Are you referring to the red boxes? That's where I was planning my side surrounds.

Rotating is not an option for me unfortunately.

I've read that left and right atmos should align with Front Left/Right in terms of distance? 

What do you recommend distance between Front & Rear atmos?

Do I need in-ceiling with pivoting woofer? Or just the normal pivoting tweeter one is ok?

Thanks a lot everyone.

Edited by Dannygx

Guest niterida
1 hour ago, Dannygx said:

Are you referring to the red boxes? That's where I was planning my side surrounds.

Rotating is not an option for me unfortunately.

I've read that left and right atmos should align with Front Left/Right in terms of distance? 

What do you recommend distance between Front & Rear atmos?

Do I need in-ceiling with pivoting woofer? Or just the normal pivoting tweeter one is ok?

Thanks a lot everyone.

Your left surround is no good way over there - you need to standmount it match your right surround - or at least get a lot closer.

Are you going 2 or 4 Atmos ? If 2 then just straight down-firing will be perfect.

If 4, then mounting "normal" speakers on the ceiling is the best option, followed by angled in-ceilings (and the greater the angle the better). Aimable woofer is a good idea but aimable tweeter is not so good (you will be listening to the highs on-axis and the mids off-axis so it may not sound as good as it could).

Down-firing in-ceilings are the least preferred option for 4 Atmos.

12 hours ago, niterida said:

Down-firing in-ceilings are the least preferred option for 4 Atmos.

Yet they are the most popular, I recall we had this discussion when I was looking to go Atmos. Maybe what I have could be better but I'm very happy with what I have. Downfiring woofer, aimable tweeter. 

OP there are diagrams of Dolby setup speaker locations for most setups.

Atmos are in line with front speakers and if 4, 2 ahead of sitting position and 2 behind. If going for just 2 then they are above or just in front of listening position. Going 2 first puts them out of place if going 4 later, commit to 4 first or settle for 2, 4 is much better though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SGS said:

Downfiring woofer, aimable tweeter. 

this is totally fine,

as long as stick to the advice below,

5 minutes ago, SGS said:

6 minutes ago, SGS said:

If going for just 2 then they are above or just in front of listening position. Going 2 first puts them out of place if going 4 later, commit to 4 first or settle for 2, 4 is much better though.

can also do 2 in front and that works fine say a step ahead.. leaving option to always add 2 later :)

though i will say if possible just go the 4 now or run all cables for 4 now and add 2 later if money only allows for 2 later. if paying for an install it will be cheaper to install 4 then doing 2 now and 2 later... 2 visits.

9 minutes ago, betty boop said:

can also do 2 in front and that works fine say a step ahead.. leaving option to always add 2 later :)

though i will say if possible just go the 4 now or run all cables for 4 now and add 2 later if money only allows for 2 later. if paying for an install it will be cheaper to install 4 then doing 2 now and 2 later... 2 visits.

That's what I was thinking as well. Get 2 good in-ceiling for now and add later instead of 4 cheap ones.

I was thinking to get the installer to run the wires there first and install the other 2 later by myself? It shouldn't be too difficult with the wiring already there right?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SGS said:

Yet they are the most popular, I recall we had this discussion when I was looking to go Atmos. Maybe what I have could be better but I'm very happy with what I have. Downfiring woofer, aimable tweeter. 

Atmos are in line with front speakers and if 4, 2 ahead of sitting position and 2 behind. If going for just 2 then they are above or just in front of listening position. Going 2 first puts them out of place if going 4 later, commit to 4 first or settle for 2, 4 is much better though.

Thank you. I did read another thread asking a very similar question. I posted this one mainly because the rear Atmos would be right up against the back wall. I was not sure if that's good or worth having at all.

Guest niterida
1 hour ago, Dannygx said:

Thank you. I did read another thread asking a very similar question. I posted this one mainly because the rear Atmos would be right up against the back wall. I was not sure if that's good or worth having at all.

I currently have my rear heights just behind the couch and although not ideal it still gives a good atmos effect - better than just having 2.

Do you have matching heights speakers with the fronts? 

Mine won't be able to match brand, but should I bother matching sound signature? It's hard because not many stores have different brands of atmos speakers installed.

20 minutes ago, Dannygx said:

Do you have matching heights speakers with the fronts? 

Mine won't be able to match brand, but should I bother matching sound signature? It's hard because not many stores have different brands of atmos speakers installed.

what brand are the rest of your speakers ? most brands make in ceiling speakers these days and for different budgets. if you cant brand match go with something like Krix its quite neutral sounding and should mix in with most brands :)

• Like 1

The rest of my speakers are Osborn. He makes ceiling speakers as well but it doesn't pass the WAF test.

Thanks for the Krix suggestion. I don't think Krix drivers can pivot, so I might have to get the angled ones. Although fixed angles might be harder to place given the limited mounting positions on my ceiling.

Edited by Dannygx

4 hours ago, Dannygx said:

The rest of my speakers are Osborn. He makes ceiling speakers as well but it doesn't pass the WAF test.

Quark is using Osborne and can suggest ... 

4 hours ago, Dannygx said:

Thanks for the Krix suggestion. I don't think Krix drivers can pivot, so I might have to get the angled ones. Although fixed angles might be harder to place given the limited mounting positions on my ceiling.

the Krix use a illuminate tweeter which is really high dispersion ... @evil c is using the non slanted variety to good effect 

10 minutes ago, Dannygx said:

Cheers for the suggestions @betty boop Appreciate anything anyone else would like to add.

One of the definite plus of Krix in-ceiling for me is the back box. It sounds pretty dead from behind as well

As al mentioned l decided to only go with 2 Krix Atmospherix fixed speakers. 

I did in fact enquire about the angled one's,  and seem to remember @Quark and @betty boop advising against it.

Currently my setup is 7.1.2 in a lounge dining area, and with the projector  screen, Aircon vent etc. it was just too tight to fit 4 Atmos in the ceiling. 

Area size is 8 x 4 x 2.7 M.

No regrets either, as sound is very immersive and overall a solid lift to the surround effect after adding the 2 in ceiling virtually above (slightly forward) ,the seating !,?

• Like 5

That's terrific to hear @evil c Looks like Krix is the way to go then. Would you mind telling me where you got them from? Please feel free to pm me if you'd like.

What are you using in your set-up @Quark if you don't mind me asking? 

Thanks for everyone's advice!

33 minutes ago, Dannygx said:

That's terrific to hear @evil c Looks like Krix is the way to go then. Would you mind telling me where you got them from? Please feel free to pm me if you'd like.

Bought them from Selby at the last HiFi show.

I myself am running a Marantz 7703 surround pre and Elektra 7 channel amp.

( very popular brands in home theatre for many here on SNA).

Mains l run with a Bryston power amp. 

If I ever added 2 more Atmos,  amplification would be complicated!

49 minutes ago, Dannygx said:

I'm using Krix Atmospherix overhead, Dynamix for surrounds and Osborns for the LCR.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, evil c said:

Bought them from Selby at the last HiFi show.

I myself am running a Marantz 7703 surround pre and Elektra 7 channel amp.

( very popular brands in home theatre for many here on SNA).

Mains l run with a Bryston power amp. 

If I ever added 2 more Atmos,  amplification would be complicated!

I've certainly heard a lot about those, especially Elektra. Wife prefers one box solution so I have Arcam AVR550. I'm probably getting another amp for mains, which covers 5.1.4 for me.

I've heard of people running 4 cores cables to the in-ceiling, then just split them into 2 Atmos each. I guess it solves the amplification issue, but probably a pain to calibrate. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/04/2021 at 9:15 PM, evil c said:

No regrets either, as sound is very immersive and overall a solid lift to the surround effect after adding the 2 in ceiling virtually above (slightly forward) ,the seating !,?

Pretty much how mine is setup

Another vote for Krix in-ceiling speakers - I have 2 pairs of Atmospherix AS providing the .4 in my very new Atmos setup. 

Initially I was concerned about them not being directional but in operation I couldn't be happier with their performance.

• Like 4