High powered PC required for this Wiz bang development

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62699-a-toast-to-pggb-a-heady-brew-of-math-and-magic/#comments

A few of the real boffins over on Audiophilestyle have come up with something pretty wiz bang.   But.......................you need some serious horses under the hood to drive it properly.

Check it out PC Music geeks.   

Alas, my little DIY, pocket PC would die a thousand deaths at first attempt.   Bit like a Mini trying to tow a tank in the snow.

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman
  • Like 1

So it costs $500 and you need a Chord DAC for this? And requires a high spec'ed PC...

Recommended system specification:

• At least 4 cores, 8 cores preferred
  • At least 32GB, but 64 GB recommended, and 128GB will reward you even more
  • A fast NVMe SSD for input and output files, and paging file
  • Recommend at least 100GB paging file (see guide for details)

Edit: OK so works with other DACs but not as well from what I am reading.

And this is ZB's baby?

Edited by muon*

Sound like an idealised version of what I've been using for upsampling with a 1 billion tap sinc filter upsampler. My PC meets those specs and I've been upsampling all my audio to 768 and 705k, and submitted patches to the flac code to support these sample rates. See my extreme upsampling thread about it for further information.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 1

I played with up-sampling using wave lab in the past and the files were huge!

I have a PC with 16 cores and 32Gb of DDR4 and could easily go to 64, and a 1 Tb nvme SSD ect'.

Meh. I'll pass.

• 2 months later...

i tried it and liked what it did BUT i want to keep my files "original" and i just don,t have the space for both, i all ready have 7TB of music SACD's, super high quality high res Vinyl(DSD DXD and PCM) rips Digital downloads and CD's

I like that there is now a cloud based instance to unload tracks to so you don’t have to run up a monster server yourself to do the reprocessing.

I think I’ll selectively upload some of my listening reference files and see how I get on. I definitely don’t have the appetite to convert multiple TB of flac to pcm 768 with this though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Downloaded the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, applied for a demo licence and have given it a whirl. Track conversion is pretty easy and I have left it on default settings other than controlling the number of parallel threads used during the resampling process.  I like the result sound wise. Is it better? Still deciding…. At this point all I can really say is it’s different to the original.   It takes my machine about 2-3 minutes for an average length track of 4 or so minutes.   File sizes are scary coming in at around a gig each for a 32bit 705khz wav file.