Greetings from Matthew Gray Mastering in Brisbane

Hi All, I'm new to the group but not new to audio. I run Matthew Gray Mastering in Brisbane where I have been polishing and QC'ing audio since 1999. I've attached a photo of my studio which shows my main mastering studio and the dry hire mix studio above the mastering studio. Both rooms are equipped by Duntech C4000 Marquis Classic Series speakers, Pass Labs X250 amps, Velodyne DD12 subs (3x) and some other smaller speakers (PMC RM-1's, Russian Cubes). Joined this group to get further info and advice on Velodyne amp module repairs.  

Matthew-Gray-Mastering-and-Mixing-Room-Image-Collection-Screen-Res-24.jpg

Matthew-Gray-Mastering-and-Mixing-Room-Image-Collection-Screen-Res-9.jpg

Matthew-Gray-Mastering-and-Mixing-Room-Image-Collection-Screen-Res-2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Fantastic intro. Welcome.

I think you may be able to help others just as much.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, deepthought said:

Giorgio Moroder. I've heard of him, I think.....

And some rabble-of-a-pub-circuit band called Powderfinger... ?

1453029478_werenotworthy.gif.a5b341fd81abe4a618555dcbc9086be8.gif

Edited by El Tel
Winning the argument in the shower (adding info/pics after the fact)
  • Haha 2

Welcome to Stereonet. That is a mighty good looking studio beat my makeshift studio that I had 8 years ago ?.  Mastering is an art that I could never master and I have to admit this is the first time I saw a pair of Duntech in a studio?. I often see big PMC, Dynaudio, JBL M2 in the mastering studio.   

Edited by AR9
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, AR9 said:

Welcome to Stereonet. That is a mighty good looking studio beat my makeshift studio that I had 8 years ago ?.  Mastering is an art that I could never master and I have to admit this is the first time I saw a pair of Duntech in a studio?. I often see big PMC, Dynaudio, JBL M2 in the mastering studio.   

Thanks for the welcome. Interestingly Duntech & their American counterpart Dunlavy made big inroads into mastering studios worldwide. In Australia, Studios 301 had Duntech Sovereigns in every room at one point. Deluxe Mastering in Melbourne has Duntech Regents, I've had Marquis for 12+ years with NOS matched drivers and crossover mods performed by Kiat at Duntech HQ in Sydney. On the worldwide mastering stage, the most notable person who had Duntech Sovereign was the legendary Bob Ludwig who is now using Egglestons but in the B room Adam Ayan is using those Sovereigns. Colin Leonard of SING mastering had Sovereigns for many years but also changed to Egglestons in recent years. There's many others as well. I like that every driver is sealed and that the drivers are time aligned which makes the focal point wonderfully in phase creating a very immersive life-like stereo image and a very strong phantom centre. For my job it makes picking phase issues in a mix very obvious and the balance from top to bottom while quite flat, is also very musical and engaging.

As for my room, it was designed by French leading acoustician Thomas Jouanjean of Northward Acoustics in Belgium. The studio was built in a commercial warehouse facility North West of the Brisbane CBD. If you're interested in learning more about the process, check out this build thread I made in 2012 on GearSpace here - https://gearspace.com/board/photo-diaries-of-recording-studio-construction-projects/718054-matthew-gray-mastering-new-room-build.html

Also an article/interview with myself and Thomas in Audio Technology here - http://matthewgraymastering.com/images/stories/miscellaneous/Audio Technology 96 Matthew Gray Mastering.pdf      

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Brilliant Matt and so great to welcome you aboard.

I hope one day, if you have the time, you could talk about your thoughts on the mastering game generally right now, your most enjoyable jobs, perhaps the ones that weren't favourites, and how the game has changed for better or worse from your perspective.

Mastering as an art is little known to most of us that haven't tried it, or have any real exposure to it, beyond what we pick up from using our own ears and reading forums like this and Steve Hoffman (to pick two notables). So anything you have to say will be welcomed and respected greatly.

?

• Like 1
  • Love 1