FS: Acoustic Diffuser - timber 523 PRD 2D diffuser (11" deep, 116 x 72cm dimensions)

Item Condition: VG+ to Excellent
Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.
Suburb or Town: Kew East
State: VIC
Payment Method: Paypal (buyer pays fees), EFT, Cash
Reason for selling: Moving interstate + young family

This is a 523 Primitive Root Diffuser (PRD) approximately 11" deep + 18mm backing board made of marine ply.  Wells are 40mm wide, and depths quantised down to 1mm.  As such, its close to the best 2D diffusion you can get (very few repeat depths).  

It will diffuse the majority of the human vocal range and placed correctly will add clarity to the vocals and reduce comb filtering artefacts.  For those that haven’t dabbled in acoustic room treatment much, it makes an immense difference to the clarity and accuracy of the reproduced music.  In my opinion, past a certain point upgrading gear is fairly ineffective without it; the extended frequency range and lowered signal to noise ratio such equipment offers will either make the system sound worse or will be largely inaudible (due to increased modal ringing, and the masking effects of room reverberation respectively). 

This PRD diffuser is based on a John Brandt's design (a studio design engineer) and is based on industry standard number theory for such diffusion.   It took me the better part of 80hrs to build - I was pretty OCD about it - all faces sanded, sanded edges, etc.  Materials alone cost $700+ ( >70 lineal meters of dressed timber, glue, screws, etc).  It's made out of pine to keep weight to an acceptable level, it still weights approximately 60kg.  This PRD has shrunken slightly (~3%), so there is some cupping of the backboard due to the wells shrinking, its price reflects this.

Ideally it should be placed at least 1.7 meter from the seating position (3x the lower frequency diffused).

I'll be sorry to see it go, but would prefer it gone given I’m moving interstate and don’t have space for it.  If it doesn't sell I'll take it with me and find a place for it somehow (storage if necessary). 

I also will be listing further room treatment shortly (I can offer the buyer of this diffuser first right of refusal on it):-

* 4x large corner broadband absorbers (bass traps, 580mm depth),

* 4x side absorbers (180mm depth- cloth/trim visible to left and right of the PRD in pics below, ), and

* 2x ceiling absorbers (90mm depth)

Any questions please send me a private message.

Specifications:

Dimensions: ~116cm x 72cm x 29cm

Lower limit of diffusion: ~620 hz (it will scatter sound to least 310hz)

Upper limit of diffusion: ~4288 hz (it will scatter frequencies above this)

Well Width: 40mm x 40mm

Well quantization: 1mm

Recommended distance from seating position: >1.7m

Weight: Approximately 60kg

NOTE: Given it's weight and design, this diffuser should NOT be hung from a wall.

An adequate load bearing shelf fixed onto studs may be adequate if correctly specified/fitted. 

Photos:

DSC_1818.thumb.JPG.27e3f6e9038b91fdf0844ef365686eea.JPGDSC_1817.thumb.JPG.e329e359a6bf214149d3eb10442356f1.JPGDSC_1819.thumb.JPG.8f88fd329fa58783496bc3912acd96ac.JPG

Edited by fidelity4u
  • Like 1