Top Gear - interesting, home grown or extreme.

44 minutes ago, andyr said:

Sorry, @mwhouston :

1. boring
  2. ugly
  3. monstrous.

Whereas what's not to like about these:

790246622_SatoriRed-Playing.thumb.jpg.49e31899744827b5a3a6d79da8d9c0f2.jpg

Andy

I guess when it comes to hifi gear beauty is in the ears of the beholder. My horn/woofer setup wouldnt win a beauty contest but when form serves function, as in yours and my case, its a winner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Sorry, @mwhouston :

1. boring
  2. ugly
  3. monstrous.

Whereas what's not to like about these:

790246622_SatoriRed-Playing.thumb.jpg.49e31899744827b5a3a6d79da8d9c0f2.jpg

Andy

I think that would have to be one of the most ridiculously designed record storage solutions I've seen [As in getting to the LP's]

The thought of a bad back and/or knees and probably the occasional case of concussion from banging your head against the overhanging equipment shelf when getting a LP out, would suggest that LP collection would have wanted to have been digitized long ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tweaky said:

I think that would have to be one of the most ridiculously designed record storage solutions I've seen [As in getting to the LP's]

The thought of a bad back and/or knees and probably the occasional case of concussion from banging your head against the overhanging equipment shelf when getting a LP out, would suggest that LP collection would have wanted to have been digitized long ago.

It was much more inconvenient when there were two wide panels standing where the 'mini-mes' are!  :lol:

The record storage was a compromise ... dictated by the room space (and sloping front wall - required by the Vic building regs).

Yes, my plan is to digitise the LPs I have left ... after my current 'clear out' is completed.  :)

Andy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think there should be a bucket list of speakers that every audiophile should strive to listen to at least once, more as a historical education on what is possible, and also what the limitations are with each type of speaker design..........nothing is perfect.

Those Tannoy Westminsters would definitely  have to be on the list, along with original QUAD ESL and 63 models, Spendor BC 1's or Harbeth SHL 5+'s, APOGEE ribbons, IMF TSL80's or PMC equivalent , Altec VOTT and/ or big Kilpsch horns, JBL 4335 and/or 4550's and probably something like big pair of active ATC's

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tweaky said:

I think there should be a bucket list of speakers that every audiophile should strive to listen to at least once, more as a historical education on what is possible, and also what the limitations are with each type of speaker design..........nothing is perfect.

Those Tannoy Westminsters would definitely  have to be on the list, along with original QUAD ESL and 63 models, Spendor BC 1's or Harbeth SHL 5+'s, APOGEE ribbons, IMF TSL80's or PMC equivalent , Altec VOTT and/ or big Kilpsch horns, JBL 4335 and/or 4550's and probably something like big pair of active ATC's

Thats quite a bucket list. Only the Tannoys would be on mine from your list. Ive heard quads and Harbeth 40.2s (which i think are stunning). The others don’t  excite me. 

I heard the Westminsters driven by some Perreaux amps in the early 90's at a HiFi show in Sydney, not the greatest match of Amp/Speakers, but WOW those Tannoys really had that special ''Something''....Grandeur I suppose you could call it.

Likewise with a pair of Apogee Duetta signatures driven by Gryphon amps, I've never heard brushes played on a snare drum sound so realistic, one of the only speakers I've heard with total lack of sibilance [my No 1 pet hate, drives me nuts ]

Quads are amazing if set up correctly, the transparency is what grabs you, well it's what always grabbed me about them.

The IMF TSL80's were my dream speakers for a while back in the early 80's, they just had a coherency about them that other speakers didn't seem to have, mainly in the mid bass area, never managed to own a pair sadly, despite trying several times.

I've owned Altec VOTT, and if I had the room would do again....Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same live album and these speakers are a match made in heaven.

The big JBL's I've heard in recording studios, likewise the big active ATC's.........all were impressive, but TBH not something you'd want to live with if you just want to enjoy music, too easy to hear problems with a recording.

The Spendors and Harbeth's

I've been living with Harbeth SHL5's for 10+ happy years, sort of says it all really, I'm in this hobby for the musical enjoyment, that's why I got into it in the first place.

Got there eventually, in a round about way.☺️

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tweaky said:

Havent heard the Altecs, 4550's or the ATC's

3 hours ago, Tweaky said:

I heard the Westminsters driven by some Perreaux amps in the early 90's at a HiFi show in Sydney, not the greatest match of Amp/Speakers, but WOW those Tannoys really had that special ''Something''....Grandeur I suppose you could call it.

Len Wallis at the Shore Inn but in the 80's.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Len Wallis at the Shore Inn but in the 80's.

Yep, you are correct.

I got the dates mixed up with the  Apogee's I heard at the airport Hilton HiFi show a few years later, which might of been around 92 I think.

The ALTEC VOTT I heard at the Hilton HiFi show in the Sydney CBD in the late 70's, I went and ordered a pair the next day, cost me $1250 new back then ☺️