Top Gear - interesting, home grown or extreme.

On 21/04/2021 at 10:19 PM, mwhouston said:

Big

F74436F2-66DA-4B2F-A991-CA35FB8CDE41.jpeg

Yep, they are BIG.

I always wish I'd taken some pics of a system I heard a few times in Clayton, VIC in the early 80's.

The guy was a builder, and a nice bloke.  He took a wall out in the house to join 2 rooms to accommodate it.

Speakers were not quite as big as these, but were huge and made up of 3 separate units each side.

Woofers were 15 or 18" Hartleys in enclosures the size of dining room tables.  Upper bass/Mids were handled by 10" Hartley full-range drivers.  These were in boxes that must have been around 60 litres and sat on top of the woofer enclosures.  Tweeters were ribbons, hand-made by the guy who put the whole system together for him.

All tube amplification.  Active woofer-mid crossover allowing a dedicated 2-channel amp for the Woofers.  And a 2nd 2-channel amp for the Mids & Tweeters with passive crossover.

His favorite demo record was a US pressing of Rita Coolidge - Anytime...Anywhere.  Sounded amazing.  I hadn't been playing bass for long at that time & hearing Lee Sklar's work so clean blew me away.

TT, arm and cart were all very nice, but I can't recall what they were now.

After the system was turned on there was a period of 1 cup of tea (or 1 stubby depending on the time of day) allowed for warm up before the first disk was spun.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, surprisetech said:

Yep, they are BIG.

I always wish I'd taken some pics of a system I heard a few times in Clayton, VIC in the early 80's.

The guy was a builder, and a nice bloke.  He took a wall out in the house to join 2 rooms to accommodate it.

Speakers were not quite as big as these, but were huge and made up of 3 separate units each side.

Woofers were 15 or 18" Hartleys in enclosures the size of dining room tables.  Upper bass/Mids were handled by 10" Hartley full-range drivers.  These were in boxes that must have been around 60 litres and sat on top of the woofer enclosures.  Tweeters were ribbons, hand-made by the guy who put the whole system together for him.

All tube amplification.  Active woofer-mid crossover allowing a dedicated 2-channel amp for the Woofers.  And a 2nd 2-channel amp for the Mids & Tweeters with passive crossover.

His favorite demo record was a US pressing of Rita Coolidge - Anytime...Anywhere.  Sounded amazing.  I hadn't been playing bass for long at that time & hearing Lee Sklar's work so clean blew me away.

TT, arm and cart were all very nice, but I can't recall what they were now.

After the system was turned on there was a period of 1 cup of tea (or 1 stubby depending on the time of day) allowed for warm up before the first disk was spun.

i still listen to that Rita Coolidge album -Anytime Anywhere,played it to death back then,still enjoy it now?

40 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

i still listen to that Rita Coolidge album -Anytime Anywhere,played it to death back then,still enjoy it now?

Likewise!  The same guy put me onto Gulf Winds (Joan Baez), Rose of Cimarron (Poco) and a few others. I've just remembered he also used to play a Vader Abraham album for the deep male vocals (no Smurfs on that one thankfully).

I always thought Ken Fritz' story, room and system to be the pinnacle of the hobby. Most of the gear including the turntable, speakers and the whole room he built himself.

5400 Hours of Fun – PS Audio

Row-4-Center.jpeg

kenfritzroom.jpg?w=803

https://acousticsfirst.files.wordpress.com/2021/04/kenfritzturntable.jpg

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 11

Guest niterida
43 minutes ago, fordute said:

Trying to get a flat frequency response?

Did he buy mats because his speakers are so low, or did he buy small speakers because he sits on mats :)