Top Gear - interesting, home grown or extreme.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a big fan

I always thought Ken Fritz' story, room and system to be the pinnacle of the hobby. Most of the gear including the turntable, speakers and the whole room he built himself.  

I’d trade it for "vinyls" any day. Makes my skin crawl  

Powerball Win ....  Speakers alone are $1,000,000+

765603748_magicom9.thumb.jpeg.14a3f7fbc355c72336881635f3a8c469.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 21/04/2021 at 10:19 PM, mwhouston said:

Big

F74436F2-66DA-4B2F-A991-CA35FB8CDE41.jpeg

Yep, they are BIG.

I always wish I'd taken some pics of a system I heard a few times in Clayton, VIC in the early 80's.

The guy was a builder, and a nice bloke.  He took a wall out in the house to join 2 rooms to accommodate it.

Speakers were not quite as big as these, but were huge and made up of 3 separate units each side.

Woofers were 15 or 18" Hartleys in enclosures the size of dining room tables.  Upper bass/Mids were handled by 10" Hartley full-range drivers.  These were in boxes that must have been around 60 litres and sat on top of the woofer enclosures.  Tweeters were ribbons, hand-made by the guy who put the whole system together for him.

All tube amplification.  Active woofer-mid crossover allowing a dedicated 2-channel amp for the Woofers.  And a 2nd 2-channel amp for the Mids & Tweeters with passive crossover.

His favorite demo record was a US pressing of Rita Coolidge - Anytime...Anywhere.  Sounded amazing.  I hadn't been playing bass for long at that time & hearing Lee Sklar's work so clean blew me away.

TT, arm and cart were all very nice, but I can't recall what they were now.

After the system was turned on there was a period of 1 cup of tea (or 1 stubby depending on the time of day) allowed for warm up before the first disk was spun.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, surprisetech said:

Yep, they are BIG.

I always wish I'd taken some pics of a system I heard a few times in Clayton, VIC in the early 80's.

The guy was a builder, and a nice bloke.  He took a wall out in the house to join 2 rooms to accommodate it.

Speakers were not quite as big as these, but were huge and made up of 3 separate units each side.

Woofers were 15 or 18" Hartleys in enclosures the size of dining room tables.  Upper bass/Mids were handled by 10" Hartley full-range drivers.  These were in boxes that must have been around 60 litres and sat on top of the woofer enclosures.  Tweeters were ribbons, hand-made by the guy who put the whole system together for him.

All tube amplification.  Active woofer-mid crossover allowing a dedicated 2-channel amp for the Woofers.  And a 2nd 2-channel amp for the Mids & Tweeters with passive crossover.

His favorite demo record was a US pressing of Rita Coolidge - Anytime...Anywhere.  Sounded amazing.  I hadn't been playing bass for long at that time & hearing Lee Sklar's work so clean blew me away.

TT, arm and cart were all very nice, but I can't recall what they were now.

After the system was turned on there was a period of 1 cup of tea (or 1 stubby depending on the time of day) allowed for warm up before the first disk was spun.

i still listen to that Rita Coolidge album -Anytime Anywhere,played it to death back then,still enjoy it now?

40 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

i still listen to that Rita Coolidge album -Anytime Anywhere,played it to death back then,still enjoy it now?

Likewise!  The same guy put me onto Gulf Winds (Joan Baez), Rose of Cimarron (Poco) and a few others. I've just remembered he also used to play a Vader Abraham album for the deep male vocals (no Smurfs on that one thankfully).

I always thought Ken Fritz' story, room and system to be the pinnacle of the hobby. Most of the gear including the turntable, speakers and the whole room he built himself.

5400 Hours of Fun – PS Audio

Row-4-Center.jpeg

kenfritzroom.jpg?w=803

https://acousticsfirst.files.wordpress.com/2021/04/kenfritzturntable.jpg

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 6
22 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Whatever floats your boat. 

1174EEBF-D857-4E6B-A3D1-91D8D9FDD2B3.jpeg

Trying to get a flat frequency response?

• Haha 2
43 minutes ago, fordute said:

Trying to get a flat frequency response?

Did he buy mats because his speakers are so low, or did he buy small speakers because he sits on mats :)

• Haha 2
On 21/04/2021 at 10:10 PM, mwhouston said:

Best open baffle I’ve ever seen.

330C0899-725C-4AF7-8D92-8539A7F29A69.jpeg

What are these, Mark?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Golly! 

171D841B-E4D4-4011-B9C2-9D9AB14C5C2D.jpeg

Are they on pivoting stands ? Why don't more speakers come out with that so you can get toe in dialled spot on !!

• Like 2
On 24/04/2021 at 12:56 PM, mwhouston said:

Actually, from all that I have heard, and I have a pair myself, active speakers are superior to passives. The only reason they have not been commercially successful is the retail industry, which lives off punters swapping and changing gear, endlessly searching for improvement.

A well designed and implemented active speaker is endgame product. 

2 hours ago, Gandra said:

Actually, from all that I have heard, and I have a pair myself, active speakers are superior to passives. The only reason they have not been commercially successful is the retail industry, which lives off punters swapping and changing gear, endlessly searching for improvement.

A well designed and implemented active speaker is endgame product. 

You seem to be ignoring the option of a DIYer making their normally-passive spkrs, active, G.  :o

I've run my 3-way Maggies active for about 20 years; that is not to say that during this time, I haven't been able to improve them by changing amplifiers.  :)

Andy

3 hours ago, mwhouston said:

If i could get them in wood grain I’d buy a pair. 

2C4B7EC8-8A97-4501-80D9-BF309468182B.jpeg

Surely not, Mark!  :o  But what are they?

Andy

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, andyr said:

Surely not, Mark!  :o  But what are they?

Andy

Andy

Goebel Divin Majestic speakers.  Heard them in HK.  Pretty awesome sounding. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Andy

Thanks, Shane.  :thumb:  I don't dare to look them up, to find out what they cost.  :lol:

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

You seem to be ignoring the option of a DIYer making their normally-passive spkrs, active, G.  :o

I've run my 3-way Maggies active for about 20 years; that is not to say that during this time, I haven't been able to improve them by changing amplifiers.  :)

Andy

Hey Andy, you just seemed to have proved my point

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

Andy

I'm afraid that if the cat knocked them over, they'd squash ME!:lol:

2 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

I'm afraid that if the cat knocked them over, they'd squash ME!:lol:

Unless you’re cat is a lion, not much chance of that happening. ?

• Haha 1
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

• Similar Content

• By Solar Paul
      Hi There

I have developed a plan to build 5 tiny cube active speakers and a sub woofer to make up a 5.1 surround system with my Theta Casablanca III surround processor. I am looking for sound quality rather than volume but our AV space is fairly large and I’m a DIY newbie so I’m looking for advice. I can think of a few areas where informed experience could advise, but of course I don’t know what I don’t know so I am open to thoughts in other areas. Tiny speakers are a priority so I’m not really looking for advice on which 2 or 3 driver speakers in bigger boxes might give better quality or bigger sound. What I am interested in are:

Will the proposed speakers deliver adequate volume for the type of listening/watching we do (Intended Use below) in our fairly large space (Room details below)? I calculate SPL at our listening positions as 92 dB at 100 W and 95 dB at 200 W (max). Current fronts are Vandersteen VLR Wood speakers (8 Ohms with an SPL of 86 dB (2.83V, 1 m). I calculate a max SPL of 96 dB at our listening position for the VLRs and I’ve never had them anywhere near full volume, probably no more than half as loud as they can go
        Are there any problems with a cube design, for example with standing waves or other resonances, that I need to be concerned about?
        I’m sure there are stability advantages to building enclosures out of MDF but I really want to use solid natural wood and I can design to allow for timber movement. Any other issues?
        Are there any problems with my technical design? Am I walking into any obvious technical pitfalls?
        The plan follows and then some background to explain. Any advice from those well on the road ahead of me would be very much appreciated.

The Plan

I want to stick with my Theta Casablanca III as the core of a new 5.1 system. I’m not planning on going the Dolby Atmos route at this stage. (If I was, I would lean toward swapping the Theta for a second hand Anthem AVM60 or similarly musical surround processor and adding additional tiny cubes)
        Add a new sub woofer: My old Vandersteen 2WQ sounded great but it only had speaker level inputs and I had to choose between LFE and picking up the bottom end of my front speakers. And wiring was messy, so I ended up moving it on. But the sound just isn’t as full and complete without a sub, though, and I want to wire a new sub directly to the Theta surround processor for LFE and front channel signals below 80 Hz
        I’m pretty set on a Rythmik kit from the US (F series 12 inch down firing) and building an enclosure for it. They aren’t cheap but they are very musical, and I think would be an excellent choice for us. Limiting it to 80 Hz means the sound won’t be localized and I have more freedom of placement (probably as an end table between our listening positions)  
      Build 5 Identical tiny speakers (for front L/C/R and rear surround L/R):
        I am really interested in exploring a couple of things with these: how small a speaker enclosure will provide a reasonable volume of audiophile quality sound down to 80Hz (With the sub dealing with frequencies below 80Hz) How good active speakers really are? I propose to use active crossovers and separate amplification for each driver. (I keep hearing good things about active speakers and I really want to try them out)  
      I have had a devil of a time designing a tiny speaker (enclosure and driver) which reaches down to down to 80 Hz without chuffing or phasing issues. The best I’ve come up with so far is:  
      Seas Excel 5”Coaxial Driver (C16N001/F E0051-04/06) – quite pricey but I think very good quality
        A closed box design with an internal volume of 8 litres and a Qtc of 0.7. I am drawn to a cube design of 200 mm (8 inches) externally rather than the traditional bookshelf speaker shape. We have some really wonderful timbers here in Australia and I am hoping to make something truly exquisite out of solid wood
        This design results in SPL of 86 dB (2.83V, 1 m) but the Seas16N001 uses 4 Ohm drivers, so that is really 2.5 watts - 1 watt results in SPL of 82 dB (1.8V, 1m)
        Our listening positing is 3.3 metres from the main speakers. I calculate a SPL at our listening positions as 92 dB at 100W and 95 dB at 200W (max)  
      Use Class D amplifiers, Linkwitz-Riley 2-Way Active Crossovers and DC power supplies for the tiny cubes as follows:  
      For the amplifiers I propose to use 2 channel amp boards from 3E-Audio (model TPA3255-2CH-260W) which will fit inside the boxes. They claim 0.01% THD+N @ 200W (1kHz, 4Ω) with the boards 90% efficient and not thermally challenged. These boards don’t include a power supply but they do include an output to power the active crossovers  
      Linkwitz-Riley 2-Way Active Crossover from Xkitz can also fit inside the tiny cubes and can take their power supply from the amp boards. Based on the Seas Coax driver specs crossovers can be used between 2,000 Hz and 3,000 Hz and Xkitz crossover modules are available in this range  
      I like the idea of external power supplies so that I won’t be exposed to 240V shocks. I propose to use external computer DC power supplies of 150-180W (30 volts). The amp boards input range is 24-36V, but I think the boards might get too hot at 36V with low sensitivity 4 Ohm drivers  
      Intended Use
      What we listen to has changed. It used to be 70% music and 30% home theatre. Now it is 95% home theatre, which for us is free to air TV (usually streamed via catch up) and Netflix (mainly series but a few movies). We’re into drama not action and we don’t need or want overly loud –bangs or crashes don’t need to eviscerate us our pulp our brains. What I am after is an immersive, enveloping sound.

The Room
      Our living space is 8.4 metres (28 ft) by 6 metres (20 ft) with a vaulted ceiling 4 metres (13 ft) high. About a quarter of this space is used for AV with our system angled out slightly towards the centre. There is a rug on the floor between the front speakers and our listening position, with scattered rugs elsewhere.

Background
      Back in the 90’s when we lived and worked in America, I walked into audio store in New Jersey planning to buy Bose surround system which I figured would be good for our nomadic existence. I was horrified to be plonked down in front of a set of massive tower speakers, exactly the opposite of what I wanted, and encouraged to listen for “just a couple of minutes”. I had never heard anything like it before and my ears and my heart overruled my head. 2 weeks later I took delivery of a pair of Vandersteen tower speakers and Quicksilver mono block valve amps. Later this was expanded to a full suite (5.1) of Vandersteens and after our return to Australia a Theta Casablanca III was added. I loved the sound quality for both music and home theatre, but it was always an effort to lug around and barely tolerated by my wife.

Fast forward 25 years and I’m retired and we’ve downsized. The big Vandersteens and the tubes are gone, and our house is now furnished as a home and not as a sound stage with personal belongings scattered around. My wife is much happier, and to be honest so am I, but I miss the beautiful rich clear sound we had in our lives. So, even though my hearing in my late 60’s probably isn’t as good as it used to be, I want to do something about it, and having trained as a cabinet maker and with and inquisitive mind and time on my hands, I am wanting to follow the DIY route.
    • By MrHappy
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Mt Nebo State: QLD Payment Method: Bank transfer, cash Reason for selling: No longer required, system simplified. Further information: A the time of purchase these were second only to 'The Zero' from Tara Labs and are very highly regarded. They have both spade and bannana connectos that screw onto the 'stubs' at the end of the cable. I found these to be a huge upgrade to my previos cables. At the time they retailed for $4000 USD

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By Geoff Millar
      Item Condition: As new: Opened for Testing Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Brunswick State: Victoria Payment Method: Paypal Reason for selling: Surplus to requirements Further information: A pair of as-new Dayton (Parts Express) DC160-8 "Classic" series coated paper woofers, detailed specs attached.

Dayton's Classic DC160 is a very smooth sounding woofer, used in a range of DIY projects such as Paul Carmody's "Classix II" TM and 2.5TMM, the "Dayton III" MTM and the "Affordable Accuracy Monitor" TM.
      Excellent bass for a 6" woofer, sounds particularly good with music which is less well recorded, such as 60s pop/rock.

I use them in the Classix II with a VIFA BC25TG tweeter(photo of amateur looking cabinet att.), which are great speakers for the price.

Use a second order crossover  at about 2,000 Hz and a Zobel across the woofer. These have been opened and tested but not otherwise used. Price includes Australia Post standard and tracking.
      used.

Summary specs:

Impedance 8 ohms
      FS 35.7 Hz
      Qts 0.34
      SD 134.8
      VAS 17.9l
      SPl 86.1 dB@2.83v/1m
      RMS Power handling 50 watts
      Xmax3.15mm
      Reason for sale: too many speakers!

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

295-305-dayton-audio-dc160-8-specifications-46146.pdf
    • By Sansui77
      During this pandemic I've had more time to get things done around the house including sorting out some speaker crossovers issues. These diy speakers were built by my old-school teacher and somehow they ended up in my hands. Originally they were setup with active crossovers but were changed back to a passive setup. Unfortunately, the crossovers were slapped together but still sounded great. Me being me I had to sort it out. I also decided to upgrade with better spec components still using the hand wound inductors. Performed a freq sweep and even though they look pretty good they needed tweeking. With a few adjustments with my super HD hearing lol, they still have that nice punchy bottom end detailed midrange. The big improvement is how detailed and cleaner the top end is now and not rolled off so quickly. The super tweeter crossover is not added in this circuit but will be built and installed seperately as I want to have a db attenuation stepper allowing you to set and control how the SB Acoustics supertweeter is outputted. Once all the testing are done, a full rewire internally, redo the acoustic material then redo - paint the cabinets. 

For DIY speakers, they're impressive ?

• By Rocknrollthor
      Tube amplifier homemade? With this post, I would like to advise all of you who believe that output transformers must be purchased that there is an alternative. Purchasing or reusing 'lacqer-insulated' copper wire can be used to make your own output transformer with the help of a computer program created by Yves Monmagnon. Here are two videos where I first make a chatode biased amplifier, then rebuild it into a fixed biased amplifier. In the last video, each tube is checked to be adjusted, and then the entire amplifier is benchmarked with the help of an ocilloscope and RMS voltmeter.
      Here is the two videos of the amp build and testing:

some pics from the 'hifi central':

https://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/threads/2x15w-el34-pp-med-ul-opt-selvbygget.88291/

here is a free google drive link to the program I used to calculate the OPT's:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dzfxdD_2FrEn5WLOeuQDUsqWwd_aUbpS/view?usp=sharing

Take care, and thanks!