Hi everyone, 

I recently bought two integrated amplifiers, a NAD C300, and a NAD 3155. While both work, both are also filled with dust.

Can anyone please advise me how to clean them? Will a simple air blower suffice? Any parts I should be more careful about?  They were purchased as gifts to my niece and cousin, as part of their first stereo.

Thanks in advance. 

Hold a vacuum cleaner nozzle close while agitating the dust with a fine paintbrush, taking care around circuit components not to put any pressure against them. You'll suck away the vast majority of settled dust this way.

• Like 5

Second the paintbrush.  Size it as approriate.  I have attacked old valve point to point gear with a 6" :)  Never found a better way and I have cleaned a heck of a lot of old equipment.   Compressed air sort of works, but still leaves a fine film of dust that the paintbrush will remove.

Edited by aussievintage
  • Like 2

The NAD 3155 will probably need some electrolytic caps replaced, NAD's of that vintage (3020, 3140, 3150 and PE series) used cheap caps, trimmers,,,, Give it a good listen, play some sustained deep base, if it's tight then still good for a while...

11 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Second the paintbrush.  Size it as approriate.  I have attacked old valve point to point gear with a 6" :)  Never found a better way and I have cleaned a heck of a lot of old equipment.

+1, +2 and +3, and I'm giving myself also a +4 for the soft bristled animal hair variety. I like the 1" and 1/2" widths to get around those inaccesible crevice areas such as pots etc. ?

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 2

i have used artists brushes with great success

• Like 1

l work on the principle that if amp cant handle air straight from my compressor to blow it out its too fragile and needs repair.

It gets soaked with contact cleaner and then blown out, contact cleaner is used on the pots again after the air.

A good scrub if required.

You would be horrified what l do to the work computers.

regards Bruce

The only problem with compressed air is you need to keep the pressure down low. If you don't, you can end up blowing crap into small orifices like in pots. Actually, some circuit boards that don't have pots or other components that can trap water, I have dunked in the kitchen sink, and given them a good wash. Then dry off with a hair dryer.

Thanks again for all the comments. I'll get some fine brushes and see about replacing the caps, shouldn't be too hard. 

• Like 1