WTB: Cheap streamer for friend

Item: Cheap streamer for friend
Price Range: Very low $
Item Condition: New or Used
Extra Info:

I have spent so long upgrading over the last ten years I have completely lost touch with the value end of the spectrum. I have a mate I am trying to help out who is putting together a system after many years out of the game. He has had his old Musical Fidelity A1 and an Acoustic Research TT serviced ready to go, inherited an Audiolab 8200CD player and pair of Tannoy speakers. He loves the sound of it, but wants a way to get the family involved. The Audiolab has coax, optical and USB inputs, so I suggested he try streaming to it. He has no idea about streaming at all, that's just what you listen to on your phone....

Anyway, I said I would help him out and source a cheap streamer to give him a taste. Needs to be able to handle Spotify connect and run off wifi, be pretty bullet proof and not need much technical knowhow - anything else it may have is a bonus.

Please let me know what you have - thanks!

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

Just food for thought.  Would a simple Rasp Pi  + volumio /moode image as a streamer meet this requirement?

• Like 2

A secondhand MacBook Pro to stream iTunes, Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz and/or Internet Radio could be a cheap and user friendly front end for the Audiolab 8200CD connected to its USB input.  Think I paid $350 or thereabouts for my secondhand old MacBook.  I know there are meant to be plenty of better streamers out there - but I still use it as it has a Solid State drive, a decent sized screen and is just dumb-old-guy simple to use. 

• Like 1

Second the above re raspberry Pi. Try to find a Allo with Volumio installed, basically plug and play

eg something like the below previous listing 

• Like 3

See if you can find a squeezebox touch.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, some good ones there, although not sure they can all do the Spotify Connect thing. It needs to be a solution that works with a phone or Ipad for Spotify rather than streaming directly from a PC. I've had a chat to someone else who has suggested that i could pick up a Sonos Connect Gen 1 for about $100, and use the Sonos S1 app which is still on the app store. This would be a really tidy solution for me - anybody have one that isn't bricked?

Edited by markm1111

Use an old mobile phone... most people have old mobile phones lying around their home these days

Edited by Willmax
  • Like 1

I suggest blue sound node2i. No pc as need a screen or wait to startup or install updates. Much better interface. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TDX said:

No pc as need a screen or wait to startup or install updates. 

Well, with a decent operating system, such as linux,  these problems will go away :) 

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

Well, with a decent operating system, such as linux,  these problems will go away :) 

Well based on the reading above do you think his friend would spend a bit of time to setup Linux? There are still variables with software and drivers you can play around. I’ve been there before and decide that it’s better just pick up a good streamer and enjoy the music. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, markm1111 said:

Item: Cheap streamer for friend
Price Range: Very low $

He has no idea about streaming at all, that's just what you listen to on your phone....

Very low $ often means DIY, much setup required.  And even if you set it up, likely will require you to trouble shoot when things go wrong.

2 hours ago, TDX said:

I suggest blue sound node2i. No pc as need a screen or wait to startup or install updates. Much better interface. 

Agree, but may be too expensive when criteria was "Very low $"?   BluOS is probably the best for someone who does not know much about streaming, but knows how to use phone.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Very low $ often means DIY, much setup required.  And even if you set it up, likely will require you to trouble shoot when things go wrong.

Agree, but may be too expensive when criteria was "Very low $"?   BluOS is probably the best for someone who does not know much about streaming, but knows how to use phone.

Thanks @Snoopy8. Mucking around with code is a no go, very low $ means up to $200. Thanks @metal beat, that looks right on the money. but it doesn't seem to have digital out. I think the dac in the Audiolab CD would outperform most of the $200 brigade. I'll look for something similar

Edited by markm1111
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, TDX said:

Well based on the reading above do you think his friend would spend a bit of time to setup Linux? There are still variables with software and drivers you can play around. I’ve been there before and decide that it’s better just pick up a good streamer and enjoy the music. 

Wrong comparison.  As I quoted, I was comparing linux to the "pc" running Windows or whatever, not a standalone streamer

16 hours ago, Willmax said:

Use an old mobile phone... most people have old mobile phones lying around their home these days

Thanks @Willmax, this has real les. Olds Samsung S5, a micro USB OTG charging hub so it can charge and play at the same time, a cheap USB  A-B cable and we will be cooking with gas. Cheers!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, markm1111 said:

Thanks @Willmax, this has real les. Olds Samsung S5, a micro USB OTG charging hub so it can charge and play at the same time, a cheap USB  A-B cable and we will be cooking with gas. Cheers!

No worries I'm glad I could help.

9 hours ago, TDX said:

@markm1111I have the Node 2 for my family room system and it is perfect for family listening and will be a lot cheaper.  Excellent functionality with phone or ipad.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, markm1111 said:

Hmmm, afraid a phone is very limited in applications and sound quality is compromised. 

@PKayis on the money with an older model Node 2 - I use one for my 2nd party system and excellent, simple operating system and  perfect for those not familiar with the world of streaming. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PKay said:

@markm1111I have the Node 2 for my family room system and it is perfect for family listening and will be a lot cheaper.  Excellent functionality with phone or ipad.

Thanks Pete. Any idea what does a second hand Node 2 go for?

7 hours ago, markm1111 said:

Thanks Pete. Any idea what does a second hand Node 2 go for?

A friend of mine paid $400. Personally I think that is incredible value for money. 

• Like 1

I just got a RPi4 with Moode set up for less than $150, connects with Spotify Connect easily. Only requirement is that you need to spend some time setting it up (isn't difficult, there are youtube videos that take you through it). Once set up, it's set and forget.

Alternatively you can also easily pick up a Gen 1 Sonos Connect for about $100 on the 2nd hand market. People are flogging these cheap as they aren't compatible with the new Sonos app, however they still work fine for what your friend may want to do with it. Old Sonos app works fine and I've been streaming Spotify Connect onto it for the family without any problems.

Good thing is that both mentioned solutions work seamlessly with phones, tablets and computers.

I am using the Xiaomi Mi Box S (mi-store.com.au) which has the optical output (3.5 mm) and comes with Chromecast built-in.  The optical can easily connect to the Audiolab and streaming will be a cake walk through the Chromecast. 

@markm1111 +1 for buying a second-hand Sonos Connect as suggested by @zeffy.  A good mate of mine bought a trade-in unit from a local retailer, with 90D warranty, and set up last weekend.  Just feeds into a spare set of RCA inputs on his stereo amp.  Download the Sonos S1 app to your smartphones....follow the set up steps to connect to your wifi and nominate which streaming apps e.g. Spotify and you're away.  Can also connect to your ethernet LAN if you have or install a wall plate nearby.

I think the Yammie WXAD-10 suggested by @metal beatwould also be good.

Cheers

2B