Watched Aussie flick "The Dry" on blu-ray featuring Eric Bana

image.png

Love australian movies, and this is a murder, mystery cop who dunnit which we seem to do pretty well. First up while this is set in the dry...it is not a global warming or environmental piece of anything if wondering. Interestingly features Eric Bana who must be mister versatile given kind of roles he is playing... here he plays a federal police man coming back to his country home town community following suicide murder of his childhood friend and family... and gets caught up in the investigation with local out of depth cop. He has his past to deal with as well, and its quite clear he is hardly welcome in town.

This is set in the fictional town of Kiewarra, and shot in the real very drought hit town of Beulah in the Southern Malle of Victoria. Having lived some years in northern country vic in younger years(as a blow in) i think has captured a lot of aspect well. the mood of the community, the interactions.....The acting and characterisations are good ! 

Very well shot ! captures the scenes and settings really well... sound wise pretty good use of audio. This is set in 90s with flashbacks(which are nicely handled) and current times and The Church track "under the milky way" is a nice interlude in one of the scenes .... I know why now thats been getting some airplay lately with even daughter asking what the song was ...

Id give the movie 8/10 picture 8/10 and audio 7/10 only since audio is not a major factor...

a good watch and something wife and I enjoyed.... some screen shots to capture some of the scenes and actors...

025A3241.JPG

025A3247.JPG

025A3248.JPG

025A3257.JPG

025A3270.JPG

025A3281.JPG

025A3285.JPG

025A3287.JPG

025A3294.JPG

• Like 1

From popcorn thread ?

Watched this tonight, bit slow moving , but anybody who has endured living in a 1 pub country town in the middle of bum Phuk nowhere , will appreciate it. Good acting and cinematography and good OST.  A nice alternative to big budget productions and suitability foreboding in parts. 

• Like 2

Definitely slow burn... what like about it .. its very real. The characters can connect with and also its not like its an Eric Bana film, there are a lot of characters and they all do a blinding job... even the cameos like the pub owner at the bar and such. theres no whackos...or anything so unbelievable for effect or thrills or anything like that. Theres a certain humbleness to it...like the line from one of the characters "we were just four dumb kids" . Also like that its not just all put on a plate, theres enough left there to think through for self, come to your own conclusions and left to your imagination. 

great to see films like this being made...its a big brown land... am sure a lot stories and characters out there... 

• Like 1

I enjoyed it but didn't have a lingering impact on me. I feel like they could have focused much more on the flashback story as that was the stronger story, yet the resolution to it feels a little bit tacked on. The current day story is kinda easy to work out early on and is not really relevant to the other story or integral to the story of the town. I actually preferred A Sunburnt Christmas over this. The 'twist' hits a lot harder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deviltoob said:

I enjoyed it but didn't have a lingering impact on me. I feel like they could have focused much more on the flashback story as that was the stronger story, yet the resolution to it feels a little bit tacked on. The current day story is kinda easy to work out early on and is not really relevant to the other story or integral to the story of the town. I actually preferred A Sunburnt Christmas over this. The 'twist' hits a lot harder.

interesting thoughts and line of thinking, I definitely saw as two parallel stories with past no doubt impacting on the current. i think it was of more relevance to the key role and going back "home" couldn't help bringing it all back. 

agree on the resolution if mean PQ of the flash backs.. its been done with a coarser look feel, kind of like how some movies use black and white for flashback ...

interesting re A sunburnt christmas... will have to explore what that is all about :) 

3 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yeah I'm wanting to get it - will wait for a non release price though!

JB were having the buy 2 get one free last week ? when i in essence got this one for free... or was it one of other discs ? once released theres always specials  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

interesting thoughts and line of thinking, I definitely saw as two parallel stories with past no doubt impacting on the current. i think it was of more relevance to the key role and going back "home" couldn't help bringing it all back. 

agree on the resolution if mean PQ of the flash backs.. its been done with a coarser look feel, kind of like how some movies use black and white for flashback ...

interesting re A sunburnt christmas... will have to explore what that is all about :) 

JB were having the buy 2 get one free last week ? when i in essence got this one for free... or was it one of other discs ? once released theres always specials  

Yeah they do, but good luck finding two others same price, plus shipping. Their management must be Amazon shareholders...

1 hour ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yeah they do, but good luck finding two others same price, plus shipping. Their management must be Amazon shareholders...

didnt have to be same price. on this one, it was literally buy any 2 discs and get the third one free, i didnt do shipping as store is local to me :)

Just Watched it..... One of the best movies I have seen.....Absolutely great OST......Shot in Horsham.....proud to be Victorian.....Will watch it again offcourse.......Visit Beulah peeps.....I know I will....

Edited by gillmaverick
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, gillmaverick said:

Just Watched it..... One of the best movies I have seen.....Absolutely great OST......Shot in Horsham.....proud to be Victorian.....Will watch it again offcourse.......Visit Beulah peeps.....I know I will....

glad you enjoyed it gill, when i went back take some screen shots, skipping through the movie... there were some scenes i noticed with clues :D so definitely a movie that could do with a 2nd looking i think :)

love to visit Beulah one day... ! :) 

On 21/04/2021 at 10:05 PM, betty boop said:

didnt have to be same price. on this one, it was literally buy any 2 discs and get the third one free, i didnt do shipping as store is local to me :)

Yeah I guess - If they aren't it reduces the discount. I did have an order sorted for 3, and was going to get Promising Young Woman, but then checked and saw the Audio was 5.1 vs 7.1 on the US (stuff that was easier to check when Bluray dot com was up!).

32 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yeah I guess - If they aren't it reduces the discount. I did have an order sorted for 3, and was going to get Promising Young Woman, but then checked and saw the Audio was 5.1 vs 7.1 on the US (stuff that was easier to check when Bluray dot com was up!).

the discounted or freebie disc is always the cheapest... easiest done in store.. if you buy a bunch of them the kind souls will even sort them so they put them in the right order :D 

3 minutes ago, muriwai said:

What has happened to Bluray.com?I just checked and it said it was now an unsecured site and not to enter?

out of action... they then took opportunity to do an update muri...apparently small low budget site and will take days to transfer across or something. there is their facebook page in mean time ...but its not the wealth of info their web page is clearly