G'day guys, just a quick hello.  I've inherited some pretty handy hifi equiptment and I imagine I have to get a few posts up before I can sell in the classifieds.

Couple of rare items, a solid cd player and tape deck along with a couple of amps and a good set of speakers.

How many posts required to list items for sale?

• Love 1

Five or more I believe.

However, why sell, unless of course you already have a system(s) you are already happy with?

Edited by lenticularis
2 hours ago, lenticularis said:

Five or more I believe.

However, why sell, unless of course you already have a system(s) you are already jappy with?

Couldn't agree more. Have you considered the possibility of putting this system to work for you? Who knows? You could be in possession of something exceptional.

Edited by Bisguittin
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Rob770 said:

G'day guys, just a quick hello.  I've inherited some pretty handy hifi equiptment and I imagine I have to get a few posts up before I can sell in the classifieds.

Couple of rare items, a solid cd player and tape deck along with a couple of amps and a good set of speakers.

How many posts required to list items for sale?

:needpics:

Welcome.

But, if your only intention is only to sell this hifi equipment, have you thought about Gumtree, or it's more expensive older brother, Ebay? They would both get you wider exposure, and wouldn't risk the wrath of people thinking you are just using this forum as a Trading Post.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

But, if your only intention is only to sell this hifi equipment, have you thought about Gumtree, or it's more expensive older brother, Ebay?

An excellent idea.

I'm staggered the mod's permit blow-ins to use the forum only to flog their gear and then disappear into the ether?  Anybody can use Google to research the value of anything and sell in the usual places.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

I'm staggered the mod's permit blow-ins to use the forum only to flog their gear and then disappear into the ether?  Anybody can use Google to research the value of anything and sell in the usual places.  

I think we owe Rob the benefit of the doubt here, with some enthusiastic support and help he may just decide to keep the gear and enjoy it, and stick around to learn more about this hifi malarkey. 

If not, well, to my mind it's always preferable to be welcoming and wrong as opposed to unwelcoming and wrong.

• Like 12

Hey guys thanks for your responses.  I understand that you may not like me to use this site primarily as a classifieds option to on sell what I have, but as my dad was apparently right into this stuff, I figured it's only fair to give other enthusiasts first crack at it.  

Keeping it would be great but realistically I don't own a record, tape or cd and it would just take up room and not get used.  I am however keeping the train set and sporting memorabilia. 

To tie in with the audio side of things, I do have my own set up with a Yamaha v-485 amp with Yamaha ns51 speakers.  It's more then adequate for what I need.

The set up I have is as follows.

Leak delta 70 amp with leak sandwich 600 speakers(pair)

Luxman pd-300 turntable.  Completely refurbished with new magnepan unitrac 1 arm.

Nakamichi BX-300 tape deck

Marantz cd72-se cd player

Harman Kardan HK715 tuner

Harman Kardan HK6250 amp

And a pair of the attached speakers, I can't find a model number on them.

I'm honestly very surprised at the abrasive nature of some members here.  Although this isn't my passion, I have other interests that are, and if someone came to ask for help in anything I knew about I would happily tell them.  Not look for a way to attack them.  Thanks though. So welcoming.

PXL_20210420_075524495.jpg

• Like 3

I agree with you mate, It's not a warm welcome.

It would have been better to state how you inherited the gear in your first post but it's still no reason for other members to jump in and police the forum. Let the moderators do that. Right?

• Like 6

I'd come from the angle of "what better place to sell good gear?" Fair enough asking for typical prices too. I still remember selling my first amp here, at a bargain price because I got the pricing wrong - it was a rare item that didn't have an internet sales history that I could find and I could have done with some advice. @caddisgeek benefited. I suppose I could always ask to buy it back, he never sells his gear! ?

Just to add to the catalogue, there's a Facebook community "Australian Vintage Hifi,  Stereo and Audio Group" with over 8,000 members so I am told (I don't do Facebook, they livestream mass murders).

Your late father had a good ear for stereo kit.

Condolences on your loss.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Peter_F said:

Your a dead set dill Peter.

Try engaging your brain before you hit send. Give the guy a break. If you've got a problem with it then you contact the mods and have a whinge about it to them. Give Wal a bell and see how you go.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Grabs popcorn.............................more photos please, Rob............and welcome aboard!

7 minutes ago, Luc said:

Your a dead set dill Peter.

Try engaging your brain before you hit send. Give the guy a break. If you've got a problem with it then you contact the mods and have a whinge about it to them. Give Wal a bell and see how you go.

Wow, so much gusto on the keyboard there dude!  I hope you didn't break a nail or burst a blood vessel hitting send!  I'm entitled to an opinion, which was within the boundaries of the forum rules,  and I expressed it.  Others disagreed which is fine, and some liked it. I didn't realise you were wound so tight and had to resort to childish name calling and belittle somebody on the forum because their opinion differed from yours?    You could also have contacted the mods if you thought my post was so offensive, instead of the post you aggressively directed to me?  Oh the hypocrisy!!    

@Rob770 welcome, and sorry to hear about your Dad. 

Your list includes some fine audio gear i think the Luxman PD-300 and Nakamichi BX-300 might be the real gems.  You can find a few pricing examples on eBay and probably elsewhere too.

Cheers

2B

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Much better!  

I had joined that Facebook group that ThirdDrawnDown had mentioned and had a few members steer me in the right direction, but also some that made ludicrous offers.  For instance the BX-300 for $150 and if it was in good condition $300 absolute maximum.  I'm not trying to turn a ridiculous profit, just get market value to get some money in mums pocket as she gets older.

The gear I have for myself, the Yamaha stuff, is that any good?  I obviously know it can get loud and sound really does travel with the system but honestly I just got a bigger then normal amp and some big old speakers.  I'm quite happy with them.

Happy to share photos with all.  From what I've been advised, the Luxman in that condition with updated arm is the real gem.  It's not been used since reconditioned by Tivoli hi fi 6 or 7 years ago.

Through in the 1972 receipt for good measure.  

PXL_20210420_075717250.jpg

PXL_20210420_075632192.jpg

PXL_20210420_071305399.jpg

PXL_20210420_071404715.jpg

Edited by Rob770
Spelling
  • Like 2

wow rod,your dad had some nice gear,he obviously loved music and how it sounded,that shows by the beautiful condition of these vintage pieces,if i didn't already have a marantz cd94 i would be offering you a fair price for that marantz cd 72se,hope you get what each component is worth to help your mum out,just get a few more posts up so you can place your adds on here,steer clear of ripoff bay+slumtree,too many wankers,good luck,
ray. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rob770 said:

Much better!  

I had joined that Facebook group that ThirdDrawnDown had mentioned and had a few members steer me in the right direction, but also some that made ludicrous offers.  For instance the BX-300 for $150 and if it was in good condition $300 absolute maximum.  I'm not trying to turn a ridiculous profit, just get market value to get some money in mums pocket as she gets older.

The gear I have for myself, the Yamaha stuff, is that any good?  I obviously know it can get loud and sound really does travel with the system but honestly I just got a bigger then normal amp and some big old speakers.  I'm quite happy with them.

Happy to share photos with all.  From what I've been advised, the Luxman in that condition with updated arm is the real gem.  It's not been used since reconditioned by Tivoli hi fi 6 or 7 years ago.

Through in the 1972 receipt for good measure.  

PXL_20210420_075717250.jpg

PXL_20210420_075632192.jpg

PXL_20210420_071305399.jpg

PXL_20210420_071404715.jpg

Thanks for the photos, and I hope you weren't too put out by my earlier post. I had one of those HK715 tuners in the 80's and it worked pretty well. And those turntables can go for a pretty penny on various websites. Selling for your mum sounds like a worthy cause (you'd better check with the mods, I reckon), but stay around anyway.

Have you listened to the equipment recently? Those Tannoy "Stratfords" (that is their model) were an attempt by Tannoy to release a domestic market speaker. Cheaper than their usual, but still a pretty decent speaker for the price. Apparently better with tube amps than with SS and not able to go very deep. But you might find they're actually a better music speaker than your NS51's...

Edited by Cloth Ears

@Rob770 I'm by no means a valuation expert, and asking prices are just that (supply and demand will rule) but i feel your Luxman PD-300 should be worth $2000+ and the Nakamichi $500+ if they are in excellent working order.  FWIW a _very_ quick search found a couple of hits which i've pasted below.  But i could be wrong...so hopefully some truly knowledgeable folk on this forum can chime in too :ph34r:  as I would like to see you have realistic and fair prices in respect for your Dad's passion and Mum's circumstance.

Luxman PD-300 without arm?  Around $2300+shipping+GST

https://reverb.com/item/36921611-luxman-pd-300-belt-drive-turntable-in-excellent-condition-japanese-vintage

Nakamichi BX-300 Around $470+shipping+gst

https://reverb.com/item/26465128-nakamichi-bx-300-3-head-cassette-tape-deck-tested-working-refurbished-gear-upgraded

Cheers

2B

• Like 2
On 20/04/2021 at 9:45 PM, Peter_F said:

Wow, so much gusto on the keyboard there dude!  I hope you didn't break a nail or burst a blood vessel hitting send!  I'm entitled to an opinion, which was within the boundaries of the forum rules,  and I expressed it.  Others disagreed which is fine, and some liked it. I didn't realise you were wound so tight and had to resort to childish name calling and belittle somebody on the forum because their opinion differed from yours?    You could also have contacted the mods if you thought my post was so offensive, instead of the post you aggressively directed to me?  Oh the hypocrisy!!    

Nah, enough of your passive aggressive stuff pal. Lets just remind everyone and yourself what you actually said to a brand new member of this site

On 20/04/2021 at 7:34 PM, Peter_F said:

I'm staggered the mod's permit blow-ins to use the forum only to flog their gear and then disappear into the ether?

"blow-ins"  you've called and grouped him.

We were all new members at some stage and if the welcome was the kind of ill thought out nasty rebuke like you posted then we'd have no members here.

Would you have posted the same bile if the guy was talking about selling some crappy old Gale speakers? I'm betting you'd of PM'd him offering advice  and wondering if he's interested in selling them.

41 minutes ago, Luc said:

Nah, enough of your passive aggressive stuff pal. Lets just remind everyone and yourself what you actually said to a brand new member of this site

"blow-ins"  you've called and grouped him.

We were all new members at some stage and if the welcome was the kind of ill thought out nasty rebuke like you posted then we'd have no members here.

Would you have posted the same bile if the guy was talking about selling some crappy old Gale speakers? I'm betting you'd of PM'd him offering advice  and wondering if he's interested in selling them.

With all sincerity, are you okay?  Your posts are very aggressive and OTT, which I categorise as online bullying.   

Must admit I saw Rob's Facebook re his dad's hifi gear a few days ago, and was about to suggest he come here, especially given the circumstances. If there's any forum likely to give a realistic value of gear without lowballing, I reckon it's this one. Trying to work out the values of hifi gear, especially if you're new to it, is still a minefield on the 'net.

@Rob770, my condolences. Like @2Brix I'm not 100% sure of value but his estimates sound in the right ball park; turntables like that can easily get four figures; Nakamichi tape decks in decent condition are generally collectors' items and the Leak is a cracker but unsure how that translates to value. If you need to sell it all to help your mum then that's of course a worthy goal; if you're able to keep some of the gear to remember your dad by and spark an interest in hifi, that's great too.

Welcome, and good luck ?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Peter_F said:

With all sincerity, are you okay?  Your posts are very aggressive and OTT, which I categorise as online bullying.   

You were out of line and you were called out. Don’t make it worse. 

• Like 7

A few things here are not in the spirit of the forum. 

So temporarily locking this thread.

• Like 2
  • joz locked this topic
  • Administrators

It can stay locked. The OP has no intention of sticking around as hi-fi is not a hobby or passion as he has clearly and fairly said. They can now access the classifieds and advertise just like any other member. There's a member or two in here that should really be shown the door. If this continues, it will be only mods that will have access to the New Member Introductions sub-forum as the welcoming committee.

Members are entitled to sign up, and sell sought after products to people who actually know what they are, and appreciate them. This is single best place to do that. I don't know why some of you keep banging on about people doing this, when the classifieds is one of the STAND OUT features of StereoNET.  Lately we've found the need to turn on Moderator Approval on many threads - not sure why members are not showing respect towards one another in recent times. It ain't hard, and I won't let this place turn into FB. 

• Like 15