Jump to content

Phono preamps under 1K (New or Used)


Recommended Posts

Recommended phono preamps under 1K new or used? What are you using?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, andyr said:

MM or MC?

 

Tube or ss?

 

Andy

MM but can be both.

 

Either tube or SS.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Vincent Pho-8 is a bargain but I think there are newer Vincent models out now. Bang for buck winners.

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sansui77 said:

Recommended phono preamps under 1K new or used? What are you using?

 

In case you found this post confusing:

 

16 hours ago, stereodave said:

MM diy ESP P06 phono stage.

MC Aspen Paris Head Amp.

 

... his suggestion is:

  • to buy an MM phono stage if you currently have an MM cart - the ESP 'P06' would be an excellent choice, if you are into DIY
  • and then buy a head amp if you later swap over to a LOMC.

Andy

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

And if you do DIY Rod Elliot's ESP P06 it will cost a lot less than your $1K budget, and from what @catman says will compete nicely against many phono stages at the higher pricepoint. 

 

In this hobby there are benefits from learning how to use a soldering iron.  And you can always ask advice here. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

And if you do DIY Rod Elliot's ESP P06 it will cost a lot less than your $1K budget, and from what @catman says will compete nicely against many phono stages at the higher pricepoint. 

 

In this hobby there are benefits from learning how to use a soldering iron.  And you can always ask advice here. 

 

 

 

 

And I know I bang on about it often,  but the cheap Jaycar/Digitech phono preamp is a dual opamp circuit just like Rod's and for $60, you can't build it yourself that cheap.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


19 hours ago, Sansui77 said:

MM but can be both.

 

Either tube or SS.

 

GSP Audio [Graham Slee Hi Fi Systems Components] have several phono preamps under $1k and there is also the Loaner Program you can take advantage of too.:thumb:

 

Cheers,

'

Keith

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus one vote for the Graham Slee units. Had a couple myself, moved one or two on and then always come back to the Slee units. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


The Creek OBH 15 mk2 is a pretty nice little unit. MM and MC with a decent amount of gain and loading options. Will be moving mine on in a little bit when the power supply for my new phono arrives if you’re interested?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 A few plugs for the Puffin here. I have one and it's great for versatility etc. but I really think the iFi Phono is a better sounding unit. Not as convenient as the Puffin but to my memory (possibly incorrect) I preferred the iFi's sound. I haven't heard the Version 2 but I really enjoyed the first version and they are in your price range. https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-iphono2/ 

 

Having said that, I'd take up @cheekyboy and trial the Slee. Nothing to lose and plenty to gain (boom tish!).

 

The good thing about this price point is that you can buy second hand try and move on to something different without taking a big hit in the wallet.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for all your replys. Really appreciate them.

 

Why I'm thinking of adding an external phono stage is because my Sansui NRA 907 plus the other amps I own have a really nice phono stages built into them BUT the output gain is much lower than say the digital side of the system. I understand this is normal but running the phono volume at 1 o'clock to get some good listening volumes similar to 10 o'clock using the digital side of the system is enoying. Both carts output 4mV (AT540ML) & 4.5 mV (AT440MLB).

 

I've been thinking of going the DIY route and was looking at Pass Labs Pearl II.

 

Your recommendations?

 

Edited by Sansui77
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sansui77 said:

Thanks for all your replys. Really appreciate them.

 

Why I'm thinking of adding an external phono stage is because my Sansui NRA 907 plus the other amps I own have a really nice phono stages built into them BUT the output gain is much lower than say the digital side of the system. I understand this is normal but running the phono volume at 1 o'clock to get some good listening volumes similar to 10 o'clock using the digital side of the system is enoying. Both carts output 4mV (AT540ML) & 4.5 mV (AT440MLB).

 

I've been thinking of going the DIY route and was looking at Pass Labs Pearl II.

 

Your recommendations?

 

 

A phono preamp with variable gain is handy in these situations.  (another advantage of the cheap Jaycar one)

Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Sansui77 said:

Thanks for all your replies. Really appreciate them.

 

Why I'm thinking of adding an external phono stage is because my Sansui NRA 907 plus the other amps I own have a really nice phono stages built into them BUT the output gain is much lower than say the digital side of the system. I understand this is normal but running the phono volume at 1 o'clock to get some good listening volumes similar to 10 o'clock using the digital side of the system is annoying. Both carts output 4mV (AT540ML) & 4.5 mV (AT440MLB).

 

What this suggests is that the MM phono stages in your Sansui NRA 907 and the other integrated amps you own, have the standard MM 40dB gain.  So what you need, to be more equal to the output of your digital side, is an MM phono stage with 43-46dB gain.

 

Quote

I've been thinking of going the DIY route and was looking at Pass Labs Pearl II.

 

Your recommendations?

 

Pass 'Pearl' - an excellent phono stage.  :thumb:  Whether it would sound better than Rod Elliott's P06 is something you would need to find out ... by building both!  xD

 

And whether either of them delivers >40dB gain ... is perhaps unknown?

 

Andy

 

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

What this suggests is that the MM phono stages in your Sansui NRA 907 and the other integrated amps you own, have the standard MM 40dB gain.  So what you need, to be more equal to the output of your digital side, is an MM phono stage with 43-46dB gain.

 

 

Pass 'Pearl' - an excellent phono stage.  :thumb:  Whether it would sound better than Rod Elliott's P06 is something you would need to find out ... by building both!  xD

 

And whether either of them delivers >40dB gain ... is perhaps unknown?

 

Andy

 

I might have to do some research on those phono stages. Building them no problem with my background. Most of my integraded amps can be feed line or balance direct bypassing the pre running just the power amp section.

Edited by Sansui77
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sansui77 said:

I might have to do some research on those phono stages. Building them no problem with my background. Most of my integrated amps can be feed line or balance direct bypassing the pre running just the power amp section.

 

Nono ... a phono stage needs to feed into a preamp - or the preamp section of an integrated amp - not straight into a power amp!  Without a preamp:

  1. you won't get enough signal level to feed the power amp, and
  2. you won't have volume control.

Andy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

Nono ... a phono stage needs to feed into a preamp - or the preamp section of an integrated amp - not straight into a power amp!  Without a preamp:

  1. you won't get enough signal level to feed the power amp, and
  2. you won't have volume control.

Andy

 

Sorry, it's getting late. Yes, phono stages require a preamp but I'm pretty sure that the line direct feature on my amps can still be controlled by the 4 or 6 gang volume potentiometer so a phono stage without volume would be ok to use. Either way AUX or Line direct would work. 

 

Edited by Sansui77
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

au-alpha907nra(3).JPG.79d340e65e02daa7db7e3b9a2d23760f.JPG.1fa585e24bee108585e3688df7fd36a9.JPG

 

Edited by Sansui77
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm they the type of guy that chops and changes audio equipment at a whim. But I been using the Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE for nearly 10 years now. Great value.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The pearl bare pcbs are $200 US which I think is a lot. I think you get 12 matched JFETs as well which is a sweetener.

Edited by Batty
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...