How many watts per channel does the Denon CEOL-N10 amplifier provide at 6 ohms

I have a set of Sony SS H801V passive speakers. They are rated for use at 6+ ohms. I want to pair them up with a relative compact and not overly expensive amplifier with WIFI connectivity. I am toying up between the Yamaha WXA-50 and the Denon CEOL-N10. The Yamaha seems more than capable of driving these speakers, but I am not so sure on the Denon CEOL-N10. According to the Denon specs page (see attached image) it states "Power Output (6 ohm, 1kHz):  60 W / 4 ohms". Despite the label on the specs page saying 6 ohms it gives no indication of how many watts it delivers at 6 ohms. Does anyone know what is the power output of the Denon CEOL-N10 @ 6 ohms?

Denon-CEOL-N10.png

9 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

I'm concerned about the specs—how does it put out 60-65 watts in each channel while only consuming 55 watts total?

No doubt they're talking peak power output and not continuous. It seems manufacturers are falling back into old habits of not being clear about their power specifications according to the standard.

7 hours ago, Begun said:

it states "Power Output (6 ohm, 1kHz):  60 W / 4 ohms". Despite the label on the specs page saying 6 ohms it gives no indication of how many watts it delivers at 6 ohms. Does anyone know what is the power output of the Denon CEOL-N10 @ 6 ohms?

It's fair to say that it will be "less than 60W" but it's impossible to tell from that alone. As Greg hinted, if it's only drawing 55W then it is impossible for it to deliver more than 55W continuously. If I were to hazard a guess and pull a number out of my arse I'd say it's unlikely to be good for more than 40W continuous into 4ohm, and probably 30W into 6ohm.

2 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

If I were to hazard a guess and pull a number out of my arse I'd say it's unlikely to be good for more than 40W continuous into 4ohm, and probably 30W into 6ohm.

You're being really generous. With 55 watts TOTAL consumption I'd be guessing, hmmm, let's see 55/2 less overhead, say 15 watts per channel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GregWormald said:

You're being really generous. With 55 watts TOTAL consumption I'd be guessing, hmmm, let's see 55/2 less overhead, say 15 watts per channel.

Cripes I forgot it's two channels haha. You're right.

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Cripes I forgot it's two channels haha. You're right.

I remember the days of PMPO—Peak Music Power Output when tiny little amps were putting out hundreds of watts per channel. Ahh, the good old days when you could get something for nothing and totally bypass the laws of physics.:D 

3 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

I remember the days of PMPO—Peak Music Power Output when tiny little amps were putting out hundreds of watts per channel. Ahh, the good old days when you could get something for nothing and totally bypass the laws of physics.:D 

It looks to me like those days are slowly coming back if they don't crack down on them soon, if this amplifier is any example. I remember 280W PMPO boomboxes that were probably cable of about 5W too.

13 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Reminds me of the Simpson’s episode when Homer says “Lisa, in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!! “ after she invents a perpetual motion machine........

15 hours ago, Ittaku said:

It looks to me like those days are slowly coming back if they don't crack down on them soon, if this amplifier is any example. I remember 280W PMPO boomboxes that were probably cable of about 5W too.

280W PMPO? Ha, that's just a headphone amp LOL. Ghetto blasters commonly had at least another '0' on the end of that.

• Haha 1

Guest Mr Thorens

I’ve previously owned one of these. My guess is about 15w RMS per channel. Not a bad unit. I used it with Q Acoustics 2020 bookshelf speakers. But when placing in the main system (Wilson Benesch speakers) it sounded a bit thin and flat.