Jump to content

How many watts per channel does the Denon CEOL-N10 amplifier provide at 6 ohms


Recommended Posts

I have a set of Sony SS H801V passive speakers. They are rated for use at 6+ ohms. I want to pair them up with a relative compact and not overly expensive amplifier with WIFI connectivity. I am toying up between the Yamaha WXA-50 and the Denon CEOL-N10. The Yamaha seems more than capable of driving these speakers, but I am not so sure on the Denon CEOL-N10. According to the Denon specs page (see attached image) it states "Power Output (6 ohm, 1kHz):  60 W / 4 ohms". Despite the label on the specs page saying 6 ohms it gives no indication of how many watts it delivers at 6 ohms. Does anyone know what is the power output of the Denon CEOL-N10 @ 6 ohms?

Denon-CEOL-N10.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm concerned about the specs—how does it put out 60-65 watts in each channel while only consuming 55 watts total?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

I'm concerned about the specs—how does it put out 60-65 watts in each channel while only consuming 55 watts total?

No doubt they're talking peak power output and not continuous. It seems manufacturers are falling back into old habits of not being clear about their power specifications according to the standard.

 

7 hours ago, Begun said:

it states "Power Output (6 ohm, 1kHz):  60 W / 4 ohms". Despite the label on the specs page saying 6 ohms it gives no indication of how many watts it delivers at 6 ohms. Does anyone know what is the power output of the Denon CEOL-N10 @ 6 ohms?

 

It's fair to say that it will be "less than 60W" but it's impossible to tell from that alone. As Greg hinted, if it's only drawing 55W then it is impossible for it to deliver more than 55W continuously. If I were to hazard a guess and pull a number out of my arse I'd say it's unlikely to be good for more than 40W continuous into 4ohm, and probably 30W into 6ohm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

If I were to hazard a guess and pull a number out of my arse I'd say it's unlikely to be good for more than 40W continuous into 4ohm, and probably 30W into 6ohm.

You're being really generous. With 55 watts TOTAL consumption I'd be guessing, hmmm, let's see 55/2 less overhead, say 15 watts per channel.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, GregWormald said:

You're being really generous. With 55 watts TOTAL consumption I'd be guessing, hmmm, let's see 55/2 less overhead, say 15 watts per channel.

Cripes I forgot it's two channels haha. You're right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Cripes I forgot it's two channels haha. You're right.

I remember the days of PMPO—Peak Music Power Output when tiny little amps were putting out hundreds of watts per channel. Ahh, the good old days when you could get something for nothing and totally bypass the laws of physics.:D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

I remember the days of PMPO—Peak Music Power Output when tiny little amps were putting out hundreds of watts per channel. Ahh, the good old days when you could get something for nothing and totally bypass the laws of physics.:D 

It looks to me like those days are slowly coming back if they don't crack down on them soon, if this amplifier is any example. I remember 280W PMPO boomboxes that were probably cable of about 5W too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I downloaded the Denon CEOL-N10 product information which gives more details. They are claiming 65W per channel (see attached image). 

Denon-CEOL-N10-detailed-specs.png

Link to post
Share on other sites


13 hours ago, GregWormald said:

I remember the days of PMPO—Peak Music Power Output when tiny little amps were putting out hundreds of watts per channel. Ahh, the good old days when you could get something for nothing and totally bypass the laws of physics.:D 

Reminds me of the Simpson’s episode when Homer says “Lisa, in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!! “ after she invents a perpetual motion machine........

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ittaku said:

It looks to me like those days are slowly coming back if they don't crack down on them soon, if this amplifier is any example. I remember 280W PMPO boomboxes that were probably cable of about 5W too.

280W PMPO? Ha, that's just a headphone amp LOL. Ghetto blasters commonly had at least another '0' on the end of that.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry too much and just use them..

Unless you are playing at head banging levels in a large room, you'll be fine.

I'm using an older RCD 38 mini to power my LS 50 as a PC speaker and it has plenty of juice..

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve previously owned one of these. My guess is about 15w RMS per channel. Not a bad unit. I used it with Q Acoustics 2020 bookshelf speakers. But when placing in the main system (Wilson Benesch speakers) it sounded a bit thin and flat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...