Hi,

I have recently starting enjoying Tidal Hi-fi running it off my Oppo 105. Prior to that it was strictly CD's and SACD's and a few downloads on a portable hard drive. Unfortunately the Oppo software is getting very out of date and buggy and it constantly crashes. I am keen to try streaming and at the same time upgrade my DAC from the Oppo, while still playing Discs through it.

Appreciate a bit of advice. - Budget is $5-7K NZD.

1. Can you buy a streamer with a good quality DAC or is it best to buy the two components separately ?? I like the Blusound node, but would want a better quality DAC

2. Can you  simply buy a wireless speaker and connect to it via a streamer. I want to set one up in the lounge for the wife to listen to music on.

3. Can Streamers contain hard drives, if I wanted to transfer some of my CD's/SACD's to it. Is there a easy way to copy SACD's to hard drives now ?

4. Are there any other streaming services that offer Hi- audio quality music, apart from Tidal

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Kegumo said:

1. Can you buy a streamer with a good quality DAC or is it best to buy the two components separately ?? I like the Blusound node, but would want a better quality DAC

I often suggest getting a streamer/DAC combination because it simplifies things and sound good.  But many people enjoy the chase of getting separate streamer and DAC, plus connecting cable.

1 hour ago, Kegumo said:

2. Can you  simply buy a wireless speaker and connect to it via a streamer. I want to set one up in the lounge for the wife to listen to music on.

If you get a BluOS enabled streamer/DAC e.g. NAD C658 or NAD M10, you can easily add a BlueSound wireless speaker.

1 hour ago, Kegumo said:

3. Can Streamers contain hard drives, if I wanted to transfer some of my CD's/SACD's to it. Is there a easy way to copy SACD's to hard drives now ?

There are some streamer DACs that can have a hard drive added e.g. Auralic, Innuos.  However, most streamers will read off USB hard drives. 

Your Oppo 105 can rip SACDs, along with a number of players

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/#post-69000

That is the only way to get DSD files from the physical disc and is as easy as it gets.

1 hour ago, Kegumo said:

4. Are there any other streaming services that offer Hi- audio quality music, apart from Tidal

Qobuz just came to Australia & NZ.  Amazon Prime, Spotify soon (?), Deezer are other options.

• Like 1

Has anybody had any experience with this brand or specific product Moon 280D DSD MiND2 DAC / built in streamer. They are made in Canada but I cannot find a great deal of information on the internet. 

On 18/04/2021 at 10:27 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Thanks for the very helpful  information. 

Unfortunately I live in Auckland NZ so auditioning and picking up the equipment would be rather trickey even with the travel bubble open. 

Have not owned any SimAudio products.  Not sure whether you have access to the Classifieds yet, but there are a few which may meet your needs

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/343911-price-drop-simaudio-moon-ace/?tab=comments#comment-4736591

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/343065-fs-price-drop-simaudio-moon-neo-430had-headphone-amplifier-dsd-dac-preamp-all-in-one-gear-rrp-7400/?tab=comments#comment-4731820

Th

• Like 1