SOLD: FS: Garrard 401 Turntable - on original SME timber plinth, with SME 3009 Series 2 Tonearm (PRICE REDUCTION)

Item Condition: GOOD (see photos)
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: ELANORA HEIGHTS
State: NSW
Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup, or PayPal
Reason for selling: Funding new purchase

Further information:

Several SNA forum members have kindly informed me that this is one of the early "flush strobe" 401's, with a stronger die-cast chassis (as opposed to the later, pressed ones). 

Thanks to all of the guys that have unconditionally offered me some great advice, gained through a shared passion and many years of experience.

I've put as many photos as I could into a folder on Google Drive (link is below).

• Condition as per photos. Some marks to the plinth 
  • Comes with its' original Garrard instruction manual
  • Video shows playing at 33rpm
  • Mat now broken, as it was brittle and it snapped when I removed it
  • SME tonearm comes with original manuals, template manual, and warranty card (serial number 62527). Marks in the earlier photos are just general grubbiness, and came off with a light rub with ISO-propyl alcohol
  • Shure cartridge (M95ED) fitted to SME headshell
  • Been in (dry and cool) storage for 15 years.
  • LINK TO GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jhfAc5wyx0iUfI-R3VbbI5ThFwyYxwUC?usp=sharing 

Additional to the above, I'm including all of the following:

• Extra SME headshell with Shure M95ED cartridge 
  • Lightweight headshell with MA 2002-e cartridge (no stylus), with original Micro-Acoustics manual
  • Shure M91ED cartridge
  • Shure M75E Type 2 cartridge

Photos:

Plenty of photos in the Google Drive link. Here's a few to whet the appetite... (attached)

GARRARD 2.jpg

20210221_175222.jpg

20210221_175139.jpg

20210221_175201.jpg

• Like 8

Hello, what is the approximate weight and the size of the plint? How does it sound compared to a Sondek LP 12? Cheers

I haven't heard a 401.  But it was the successor of the 301, which I have heard (in a good plinth) compared against some top-level turntables, and it holds it's own at the top level.  Idlers do have a slightly different sound to belt-drives (described as "slam", which I interpret as very accurate transients/attack).  I would be confident that the 401 would be much better than the Sondek. 

And at this price with a SME, original documentation and extra goodies, I don't think you would regret getting this.  It needs a good home and to be appreciated.  And no, I don't know the seller! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Sonica said:

Hello, what is the approximate weight and the size of the plint? How does it sound compared to a Sondek LP 12? Cheers

Hi there,

I've not experienced hearing an LP12, however I'm reliably informed that the 401 is a superior unit.

I've just weighed it and it's 12.5kg all up.

Cheers,

Richard

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Sonica said:

I am using a 401 for a number of years now.  A restored Garrard idler have pace, rhythm and beat that very few modern belt drive (at any price) can match.  I have also heard highly tuned LP12, it can be pleasant but it’s idler for me any day.

At this price, compare to silly prices of many new TT, there’s change for future upgrade in cartridge etc.  And plenty of records.

Unfortunately I don’t have room otherwise I would have jumped at it.

GLWTS!

• Like 3