MQA Users & Discussion Thread

Guest AndrewC

Chesky has zero details shipped with the MQA disc… nothing, nada, just the album insert. The only place where you can read about it, is not Chesky.com, but Stereophile when they first talked about the release; https://www.stereophile.com/content/chesky-release-mqa-cds-may

ps: IMHO, don’t waste your money on this disc, both the 24/176.4 PCM and the SACD releases are better than this MQA release  :P

We should see...I just bought the SACD version....

(Audio)

We should see...I just bought the SACD version....

(Audio)

You should get the Bob Kat’s 15th Anniversary Edition on 24/176 PCM… it’s the best, re-mastered from the original analog master with proper dynamic headroom. This one; http://www.hdtracks.com/the-raven-the-bob-katz-15th-anniversary-remaster (the rest of the rates are derivatives ;))

Guest BadEnglish

In the meantime,

These came in today.....

Wah Lau!!  Teresa in MQA...fcuk the world!!

(Audio)

Can't help but wonder,  it's MQA from 2 inch recording reel or 1 inch mastering reel or a quarter inch home use reel ?

For these MQA-CDs, did they mentioned the MQA encoded resolution?

Can't recall seeing it on the disc itself or the inserts... but the MQA encode itself includes a preamble tag that has the original rate embedded. So, a full decode will reveal the original PCM rate that the MQA disc was derived from. In the case of the Rebecca MQA CD, the encoding reveals it comes from a 24/176 PCM master, though the actual provenance of the master is usually unclear.  :-\

For those that intend to buy/download MQA tracks...

http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/tag435sdf43te

MQA TAG RENAMING APPLICATION

This application (initially for Windows but soon for MAC OS) can examine files ripped from CD, determine whether they are MQA and build a sub-folder containing correctly formed MQA files. Files that are not MQA remain unchanged.

For those that intend to buy/download MQA tracks...

http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/tag435sdf43te

Actually all you need to tag MQA file is simply two parameters, one to identify MQA encoded and the other one is to show the original sample frequency (OSF). You can use any editing software to include the followings:-

Encoder MQAEncode

ORIGINALSAMPLERATE XXXXX

Where XXXXX is sampling frequency in Hz, for example 96000 is 96kHz

One can still playback without having MQA tagged and still get decoded but in most case playback software will not indicate first hand MQA information until the file is playback.

Would’nt it be great if record labels just focus on getting the most out of Red Book recordings instead. If one were to look into audiophile recordings, they’re still varied

in quality. To me jumping into the next bandwagon is a mooted point. Guess these companies are looking for commercial returns rather then anything else.

Like the saying goes, the pen is mightier then the sword so lots of marketing & hype to get the ball rolling.

Would’nt it be great if record labels just focus on getting the most out of Red Book recordings instead. If one were to look into audiophile recordings, they’re still varied

in quality. To me jumping into the next bandwagon is a mooted point. Guess these companies are looking for commercial returns rather then anything else.

Like the saying goes, the pen is mightier then the sword so lots of marketing & hype to get the ball rolling.

Actually Redbook recording has been around since CD was introduced in the early 80’s and today’s professional recording has move to high resolution. That’s why there’s many marketing & hype to attract consumers onboard. They can sell you re-issue or re-mastered old recordings in high resolution and thus able to make profit out of it.

Well if the recordings are so so to begin with Hi Res will just be as bad MusicEar.

What's happening now aside from marketing hype is that new generation of audiophiles

aren't really exposed to what a properly set up Red Book playback can do. If you look at the

other thread, it's all about discussion on latest dac for computer audio playback. Regardless

of however good the usb interface with super low noise clocks etc is, it is still poison when compared

to the good old I2S connection. For me I've always been suspicious of download files that's being sold online

now. Imagine the distance that it's being transmitted to our lap top, will it not degrade at all. For audiophile

CDs there's already no assurance that all pressed disc are 100% the same let alone files which are transferred

from hundreds or thousand of kilometres away.

Guest BadEnglish

...For audiophile

CDs there's already no assurance that all pressed disc are 100% the same let alone files which are transferred

from hundreds or thousand of kilometres away.

In digital transmission,  especially TCP in your case,  the distance is not matter at all.  You received exact bit to bit copy.

Yes BadEnglish this is what we’ve been told. Rather unfortunate that Im in Batam for not it would be great to share my findings with like minded audiophiles & learn from each other. For me unless it’s proven, I’ll stick to Red Book playback. My last audition was a Dcs set up couple of years back in Taiwan, can’t say that I walk away impressed.

To each his own I guess.

Cheers

Yes BadEnglish this is what we’ve been told. Rather unfortunate that Im in Batam for not it would be great to share my findings with like minded audiophiles & learn from each other. For me unless it’s proven, I’ll stick to Red Book playback. My last audition was a Dcs set up couple of years back in Taiwan, can’t say that I walk away impressed.

To each his own I guess.

Cheers

That data can be transmitted over thousands/millions of miles error free if required is science FACT. It’s not an opinion, it’s not subject[ive], and its been proven. If that wasn’t the case, the world as we know it today would not be able to function; banking would fail, broadcast would fail, even YouTube wouldn’t be possible... and you wouldn’t even be able to login to X’place to post. ;D

If you don’t know that, I highly recommend you go educate yourself, YouTube is a good start, search for data transmission technology :)

Guest BadEnglish

To each his own I guess.

Cheers

I would love to learn your finding.  So when you are in Singapore,  I'll buy you cuppa how about that.

The Received data and source file from far away is 100% identical.  Bit perfect,  no problem at all.

The problem  is during real-time playback,  jitter creep in and affected SQ.

Im old school wusplay. Everything that I build adopts the KISS approach.

Having said that when time permits, will build a dac just for computer audio mainly because an audio buddy downloaded almost 2tb of music into an HD for me.

Will judge then if its as gd or better then what I have now.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AndrewC

Proprietary App supporting MQA streams of Live gigs from nugs.net - been testing out the 2-month free subscription. Not bad, but I don’t intent to continue once the trial period is over (poorly recorded gigs, even if at "highrez" is not really my thing ;D).

PJ_Gig_MQA.jpg

Guest AndrewC

So aren’t we back to square one AndrewC. If recordings are bad it’s bad regardless of whatever kind of recording software including Red Book.

It's not recording software or playback software issue, the issue is that Nugs.net seems to carry poorly recorded gigs. Thats got nothing to do with MQA vs. Redbook vs. Highres of another sort.

ps: there are very poorly recorded gigs in redbook rate as well on Nugs.net.... Nothing to do with resolution.