MQA Users & Discussion Thread

Guest AndrewC

Listen to original high-res versions, the MQA tracks sound flat and more like Redbook in comparison... I think you need to listen properly :)

Just to be clear, I am not replying for the sake of arguing.  I intend to have a fruitful discussion with you, my friend.

What I find between the Hi-Res tracks and normal Redbook tracks are generally the hi-res versions are tamer sounding and sometimes has a hint of better detailing.  Overall, yes, the hi-res is preferred.  The Redbook does, however, sound more dynamics and has better "bite".

The MQA tracks seems has better dynamics and do sound better than the Redbook.

So, to me, there is no real guarantee which versions you would like, Redbook, hi-res (even different hi res, FLAC, AIFF, DSD are different) and now MQA.  You need to try them and then pick out the one you prefer.  Unfortunately, it's a mixed bag.

(Audio)

Tidal set to “Passthrough” and out via TOSLInk on old my Macbook still shows up as 44.1/16 for any MQA 96k source tracks. I tested my DAC’s TOSLink separately, nothing wrong.  Assuming the Tidal App itself is not doing something funky, it could be the Macbook TOSLink outputs is wonky - will have to track this down separately (not that I use it much though).

You need to use Exclusive Mode, and probably Force Volume as well.

If you choose Sound Output as "System Default", it will not work.  All successful setups I read about use USB output.  I'm not sure Built-in Output will work or not.

There's a MAC setting that overrides whatever sample rate you play, see:

https://www.avhub.com.au/news/sound-image/how-to-play-tidals-high-res-masters-on-your-mac-446915

Guest AndrewC

Just to be clear, I am not replying for the sake of arguing.  I intend to have a fruitful discussion with you, my friend.

(Audio)

Much better approach :) Here’s my honest view….

Thus far I have yet to encountered a single instance where an MQA release sounds better in any way than it’s original high-res source (contrary to Bob Stuart’s goal/view and much of the high-end HiFi Media).

When compared to Redbook, like you, I find MQA to be a hit or miss; often times its barely different (especially for Pop), other times its worse; especially when compared to Redbook upsampled on proper high-end gear. Occasionally, it’s actually better than the Redbook release from the same master, and for such releases which don’t otherwise have high-res versions available, MQA does actually benefit the Audiophile community. That’s the one and only reason I continue to be interested in what happens with MQA, but only as long as it comes with my Tidal subscription at no additional costs; I only listen to streamed music casually, for music I really like, I acquire Redbook CDs, SACDs or high-res downloads, period ;)

Guest AndrewC

You need to use Exclusive Mode, and probably Force Volume as well.

If you choose Sound Output as "System Default", it will not work.  All successful setups I read about use USB output.  I'm not sure Built-in Output will work or not.

There's a MAC setting that overrides whatever sample rate you play, see:

https://www.avhub.com.au/news/sound-image/how-to-play-tidals-high-res-masters-on-your-mac-446915

You’ll see in my post #415 screenshot that my Tidal app was set to Exclusive Mode, Forced volume, and Passthrough.

In any case, it’s not a big deal, I don’t use TOSLink at all normally. The only reason I was testing with TOSLInk that morning was to prevent the USB port rate-negotiation between my MacBook Pro and the DAC just to verify exactly what rate was coming out of the Mac. Just curiosity :)

More samplers just received, including the SACD-MQA hybrid disc! ;D

You can rip the MQA CD and play it back via NAS. I bet Roon will report 16 bit instead of 24 bit. As for 24 bit variable bit rate it can reach to 1.7Mbps depending on the contents of music.

Guest AndrewC

You can rip the MQA CD and play it back via NAS. I bet Roon will report 16 bit instead of 24 bit. As for 24 bit variable bit rate it can reach to 1.7Mbps depending on the contents of music.

Just tried it this morning as a matter of fact... it’s 16/44.1 as expected (since these are redbook disc). The MQA Master source in the case of Rebecca Pidgeon is 176k, and for Oscar Peterson is 352.8k

Guest AndrewC

Bob Stuart spinning the usual yarn ::)…

He keeps claiming that the only way to sonically deliver what the artist signed-off at the studio is to “control the DAC”… Complete Bollocks!! Different Amplifier, different speakers, different room acoustics, different cabling, different power etc etc… all conspire to guarantee no one will ever hear what the artist heard in the studio… “Highest level of purity… it’s the Musician and You”… a bloody stupid argument from Bob/MQA camp. And “It can’t be free, because nothing in life is free”… Really?? One word; FLAC.

[embed=425,349]

[/embed]  [embed=425,349]
[/embed]

• 1 month later...

I confess to having liked what I've heard of MQA, I've detatched myself from the technical arguments and just listenend to it on Tidal. I now actively seek out MQA encoded tracks where possible. Visiting "ears" seem to share my opinion.

As it costs me no more to stream than CD quality it's a win/win situation for me though I doubt I'd go to the trouble of buying MQA CDs (virtually unknown here) and the required equipment as prices are a bit silly at the moment. Time will tell what the future holds.

I do wonder if it would suceed as we’ve witness the demise of Sony Super Mapping,

Sacd, HDCD , DSD etc. For me I do believe that there’s still life left in Red Book which might not have been fully capitalised. Just look at the ressurgance of vinyl, it too wasn’t the perfect playback source.

For me I do believe that there’s still life left in Red Book which might not have been fully capitalised. Just look at the ressurgance of vinyl, it too wasn’t the perfect playback source.

Red Book is good enough for me for sure as a listening medium, the main problem besetting it is the mastering. So long as the content is compressed and overly loud it's never going to sound anywhere near as good as it has the potential to. It's aimed at a world of ear buds "on the move" and car audio.

A lot of vinyl/SACD/MQA (not all) is mastered for a different demographic and retains a lot of it's original characteristics and consequently sounds a lot more engaging. Perhaps Red Book titles should be sold in two versions, one for serious listening and one for muzak. I'd certainly carry on buying them  :) 

I do wonder if it would suceed as we’ve witness the demise of Sony Super Mapping,

Sacd, HDCD , DSD etc. For me I do believe that there’s still life left in Red Book which might not have been fully capitalised. Just look at the ressurgance of vinyl, it too wasn’t the perfect playback source.

SACD isn't quite dead yet. companies such as Audio Fidelity may have closed down but there are still places like Mobile Fidelity who still continue to produce SACDs ?

I haven't seen Sony Super Bit Mapping mentioned in a looong time... it's noise-shaping with a fancy name ;D.

Like IB says, SACD/DSD is hardly dead, plenty of releases every single day :)

Coincidentally, this Disc comes in this morning.

This is a redbook, with MQA encoding....recommended to me by an anti-MQA lobbyist....

(Audio)

And have you compared it to the original highres PCM or SACD releases, and your verdict is...?

could you share if the MQA disc booklet includes details regarding the provenance of this release? did the makers of this disc really go back to the master tapes to produce an MQA version of this recording?

Chesky has zero details shipped with the MQA disc… nothing, nada, just the album insert. The only place where you can read about it, is not Chesky.com, but Stereophile when they first talked about the release; https://www.stereophile.com/content/chesky-release-mqa-cds-may

ps: IMHO, don’t waste your money on this disc, both the 24/176.4 PCM and the SACD releases are better than this MQA release  :P

ps: IMHO, don’t waste your money on this disc, both the 24/176.4 PCM and the SACD releases are better than this MQA release  :P

So we’re back to square one. Think better to just stick to good Red Book recordings ya. Lol. Re Sony super mapping, I’ve 1 CD & frankly nothing to shout about.