New Sony 290ES and 890ES for 2021

according to rwestley on avs, quoting him below from new 4k projector thread there, 270es replacement long time coming, not sure what the 890 is all about... step up from the 790 ? 

good to see sony not sitting still and progressing with their model line up :)

am sure as more details and info arrives folks can post here, but both i suspect quite important to sony and consumer looking or 4k projectors :)

""Sony just announced new models in Europe. Probably different model numbers for the us.
Translated from German taken from German forum:
Sony VPL-VW290 and VPL-VW890

"Sony presented its new projectors at a press conference.
These are the models VPL-VW890 and VPL-VW290, which replace their respective predecessor models.

The new Sony series stands out because of its dramatically better sharpness, as I was able to see for myself with the VPL-VW790.
The banding effects were apparently also fixed. With my test images and the film sequences used, these are no longer noticeable on the 790.

I only find the dynamic tone mapping in need of improvement, because the clipping limit still has to be set manually.

All in all, the new device series means such a great improvement in the image display that I would keep my hands off the previous series from now on" George Luca's from German forum..""

• Like 1

5 hours ago, betty boop said:

not sure what the 890 is all about... step up from the 790 ? 

890ES  looks like it is  the replacement for the 870.  890 has ARC-F lens.   Looks like  Sony couldn't implement their tone mapping solution  with  870's hardware.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TP1 said:

890ES  looks like it is  the replacement for the 870.  890 has ARC-F lens.   Looks like  Sony couldn't implement their tone mapping solution  with  870's hardware.   

ARC-F from old 1000ES is an excellent thing, good if they can implement software systems as per others in the range :) 

1 hour ago, cwt said:

With the new improved 790es released they really should take a look at a few things with the 760es's rrp price ; it doesnt  compute will smith :)

Sony VPL-VW790ES 4K Projector (Black) (audiotrends.com.au)

Sony VPL-VW760ES – Audio Connection

they aren't still selling 760es are they cwt ? i imagine what there is would have been cleared by now to make way for 790ES that came out early dec last year. I know few folk bought 760es (demo) and run out.

same thing will happen wit 270es and 870es to clear would think ? to make room for 290/890 ? 

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

same thing will happen wit 270es and 870es to clear would think ? to make room for 290/890 ? 

There is no telling  what covid  will do to pricing of new models or old stock.  Being in Aus, we should brace ourselves.  Sony today released the user manual for the 890ES - its almost certainly  replacing the 870 ES and there is a section of HDR enhancer, like the 790ES.  https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/5031/cf56cc7c00773e6ad55851c4e6a499f3/50311311M.pdf

Edited by TP1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

they aren't still selling 760es are they cwt ? i imagine what there is would have been cleared by now to make way for 790ES that came out early dec last year. I know few folk bought 760es (demo) and run out.

Yes Al ;salesman says Ive got its new replacement ; improved model and its the same price sir :) Ime too cynical or they should have upgraded their website maybe ?

That video sounds good ; the new X1 processor chip in the 290 should do a great job with any hdr10  ; and it looks like it can handle scene by scene hdr10+ material too ;sweet . Some nice contrast compared to the 270  ; he enjoyed playing wipeout at 60 frames didnt he .  That lamp replacement module and cover is an ingenious design ; me likey ?

• Like 1

from uk's avforums, looks like these are really updates of 270es and 870ees as expected for new models 290es and 890es.

basic specs and capability seems still same as outgoing, but like 570/760es to 590/790es looks like addition of X1 for projector processor and software update to suit, bringing the 270/870 units upto other 90 model level for the 290/890..

Sony’s latest native 4K SXRD home cinema projectors use the X1 for projector processor for an immersive viewing experience and HDR enhancement.

Last year, Sony added the VPL-VW590ES and VW790ES 4K SXRD projectors to its home cinema model lineup and now 2021 sees two further new models released at the entry level and flagship ends of the spectrum. 

The new lamp-based 1,500 lumen VPL-VW290ES replaces its entry level compatriot the VW270ES, while the laser VPL-VW890ES, with its 2,200 lumen brightness and premium All-Range Crisp Focus (ARC-F) lens, will take the place of the VW870ES. 

The native 4K SXRD panel that both new models use offers a resolution of 4096 x 2160, with the resultant 8.8 million pixels supporting more vibrant colours, tones and textures compared to a standard projector system.

Both the VW290 and VW890 will use processing from the BRAVIA series of TVs that has been especially optimised for projectors in the form the X1 for projector processor. This leverages its power to combine innovative technologies such as Dynamic HDR Enhancer and Reality Creation for high-precision frame analysis to deliver a viewing experience in line with the creator’s intent.

The Sony VPL-VW290ES native 4K SXRD projector

The X1 for projector’s additional processing power now means that Dynamic HDR Enhancer uses more detailed analysis and improved HDR compared to the previous models. When viewing HDR content, the bright and dark scenes are therefore enhanced with improved contrast and, in the case of the VW890ES, the dynamic range of the contrast and brightness is further expanded by linking with the laser and iris. 

Sony also implements its Reality Creation super resolution technology via the X1 on the new projectors to analyse each scene to enrich 4K content and upscale content filmed in Full HD or 2K.

The VPL-VW890ES also benefits from a large-aperture lens which adopts an all-glass design for its 18 elements, including six extra low dispersion (ELD) elements. This ARC-F lens ensures a pristine image across the entire screen by facilitating optimal convergence of the red, green, and blue primaries even at the edge of the screen.

The Sony VPL-VW890ES native 4K SXRD projector

As with the models' predecessors, these new projectors also feature an input lag reduction mode which improves the performance of the display reaction speed to ensure gamers can enjoy the best possible experience alongside the detailed image quality.

Christopher Mullins, Home Cinema Product Manager for Sony Professional Displays & Solutions, explained, “Whether watching a movie or playing a game, customers are increasingly looking to enjoy immersive entertainment experiences from their own homes.” He went on to add, “With the availability of these new models, we show our continued commitment to developing solutions that provide a big screen, dynamic viewing experience which brings the spectacular into the home.”

Pricing and Availability

The VPL-VW890ES model is available to order today at £24,999

The VPL-VW290ES model is available to order today in both black and white at £5,499.

Source: Sony
Image Source: Sony

• Like 1

15 hours ago, betty boop said:

The VPL-VW890ES ($38,999 RRP).

VPL-VW290ES at

$8,999 

Thats a shock to the system Al ; the sort of pricing  that makes something like a Epson with lumens+ or a hdmi2.0 projector already in situ  and a Lumagen's top notch DTM look feasible to anyone in the market while gaining better deinterlacing scaling etc   ?1500 lumens doesnt really cut it for hdr so much ..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...