Qobuz Discussion Thread

So I've got the Qobuz application working/playig on my OSX laptop which is connected to my DAC connected to etctc.

All sounding very nice.  But how do I control it fromthe comfort of my arm chair with my andriod mobile?

cheers

1 hour ago, Honreekea said:

So I've got the Qobuz application working/playig on my OSX laptop which is connected to my DAC connected to etctc.

All sounding very nice.  But how do I control it fromthe comfort of my arm chair with my andriod mobile?

cheers

Good question. The easy solution would be using the Qobuz Remote app on your Android phone. Alas, I don’t think such an app exists (like it does for other audio players). Other options include:

• Not using the Qobuz app on the Mac, but playing Qobuz content via Roon Core or Audirvana. These audio players work well with Qobuz, but cost a fair bit of money. There are free remote phone UI apps for both of those.
  • Getting an iPad and using the Screens app to control your Mac. This works very well, but obviously costs money, too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steffen said:

Good question. The easy solution would be using the Qobuz Remote app on your Android phone. Alas, I don’t think such an app exists (like it does for other audio players). Other options include:

Maybe qobuz will make one in the future......

• Not using the Qobuz app on the Mac, but playing Qobuz content via Roon Core or Audirvana. These audio players work well with Qobuz, but cost a fair bit of money. There are free remote phone UI apps for both of those.

I'll explore using audivarna as that is how I obtained my free, three month trial.

• Getting an iPad and using the Screens app to control your Mac. This works very well, but obviously costs money, too.

I have windows tablets.  I wonder if they could control  a mac?

Thanks for your considered reply.

cheers

18 hours ago, Honreekea said:

cheers

I've used the Splashtop app to remotely access my Mac from an Android phone.

It would also work from a windows laptop.

Haven't used it for years since I've had Audirvana and Roon.

Not as nice as a Qobuz remote app - but it's free for personal use.

https://www.splashtop.com/personal

FWIW, I just fired up Splashtop (personal) on my Win 10 laptop and it's working perfectly with my Mac Mini - have the full desktop on my Win10 laptop as if I was working directly on the Mac.

Edited by Tobes
  • Like 2

On 01/05/2021 at 3:51 PM, Honreekea said:

cheers

@Honreekea 

I have the Qobuz app on my android mobile.  Easy to find and download in  the Play Store

On 02/05/2021 at 8:04 PM, wolster said:

@Honreekea 

I have the Qobuz app on my android mobile.  Easy to find and download in  the Play Store

Alternatively trial ROON setting up your laptop as the ROON Core and your android mobile as the remote. 

• Like 1

I’m really impressed with the sound quality of Qobuz. It took a while to arrive in Australia but it’s definitely worth the wait. Normally I stream my music through Spotify connect & Tidal connect. 

What does everyone else think? 

39 minutes ago, Samue T said:

I’m really impressed with the sound quality of Qobuz. It took a while to arrive in Australia but it’s definitely worth the wait. Normally I stream my music through Spotify connect & Tidal connect. 

What does everyone else think? 

Ah, I think you’re little late to the party........did you do a search for Qobuz related threads before posting?😄

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 02/05/2021 at 10:04 PM, wolster said:

@Honreekea 

to get this straight:  you are controlling your main computer from the Android Qobuz app?  Cause as far as is I see it, the android qobuz app is only good for playing music on my phone.

1 hour ago, Honreekea said:

to get this straight:  you are controlling your main computer from the Android Qobuz app?  Cause as far as is I see it, the android qobuz app is only good for playing music on my phone.

Apologies. I should have clarified. I am able, in the Qobuz app, to select my active speakers that have a built-in streamer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolster said:

Apologies. I should have clarified. I am able, in the Qobuz app, to select my active speakers that have a built-in streamer. 

Your speakers must have a Qobuz endpoint app - I'm unable to see my UltraRendu streamer with either the Qobuz phone or desktop apps.

I have to use Roon or Audirvana to stream Qobuz to the Rendu (which includes Roon Ready, DLNA, HQPlayer NAA among others).. 

I am a recent subscriber to Qobuz (ex Tidal).

Last weekend I had some likeminded audiophiles around enjoying a regular catch up and listen. I tested the group of 4 by doing a back to back between an album I purchased from Qobuz and stored on my nas and on my Aurender, with same album streamed. I did not reveal which was which and let people make their own conclusions 

Interestingly all agreed there wasn’t a lot in it, but all voted for the hard drive sound over the streamed.

I am not professing any great insights from this, just interesting (and in line with my personal bias which helps 😁

Edited by The Drake

I wonder if the Qobuz AU catalog is still being expanded and whether we can expect the less mainstream and Indy artists to have greater representation?

Something I was enjoying on Tidal AU was Norwegian artist Beady Belle (Beate S. Lech/Bugge Wesseltoft). 

No titles on Qobuz AU, but I can see albums are available on Qobuz in European countries. Doesn't look like I have the option to purchase the albums I'm interested in via Qobuz either. Kind of annoying.

Edit: Actually the albums I'm after are available on zdigital.com.au, and pretty good prices too: https://www.zdigital.com.au/search/release?q=beady belle&f=20%2C19%2C12%2C16%2C17%2C9%2C2

Edited by Tobes
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tobes said:

I wonder if the Qobuz AU catalog is still being expanded and whether we can expect the less mainstream and Indy artists to have greater representation?

Something I was enjoying on Tidal AU was Norwegian artist Beady Belle (Beate S. Lech/Bugge Wesseltoft). 

No titles on Qobuz AU, but I can see albums are available on Qobuz in European countries. Doesn't look like I have the option to purchase the albums I'm interested in via Qobuz either. Kind of annoying.

Edit: Actually the albums I'm after are available on zdigital.com.au, and pretty good prices too: https://www.zdigital.com.au/search/release?q=beady belle&f=20%2C19%2C12%2C16%2C17%2C9%2C2

I have had the same experience when trying to find some of my favourite artists on Qobuz. The albums I want to buy are available on Qobuz downloads but only to overseas customers. As soon as I log in to try and make the purchase it won’t let me buy those particular albums.

Like you, I’m really hoping they add to the catalog. For now I have the 3 month Deezer trial to fill in the gaps, and will probably just go with Qobuz on a month by month basis for access to their Hi-Res versions of music.. which to me sound much better than Deezer’s CD quality and a bit better than Tidal

Edited by Chris.chapterten

1 hour ago, Chris.chapterten said:

Like you, I’m really hoping they add to the catalog. For now I have the 3 month Deezer trial to fill in the gaps, and will probably just go with Qobuz on a month by month basis for access to their Hi-Res versions of music.. which to me sound much better than Deezer’s CD quality and a bit better than Tidal

Maybe I should sign up for the free Deezer trial to plug some gaps in the interim - I have Spotify so I can still listen to the music in a lower quality. 

I mostly listen with Roon though, so that limits me to Tidal or Qobuz at the moment - Qobuz is my choice out of those two. I started my Qobuz trial on 01/04 so I've now payed up for the yearly subscription to Qobuz Studio, hopefully the gaps start to fill out. 

• Like 2

On 04/05/2021 at 1:20 PM, wolster said:

Nice. Is that 'Chromecast Built-in' in your speakers' streamer?

Which speakers?

10 hours ago, rand129678 said:

Nice. Is that 'Chromecast Built-in' in your speakers' streamer?

Which speakers?

KEF LS50 Wireless ll - and, yes, Chomecast is built in. Works well.

• Like 1

I'm on a months trial. I love the  quality of the music that they have so far. It's a step up from Apple Music, however the "experience" is pretty awful. The app is terrible compared to Apple Music. I found an awesome Quobuz playlist on the website before I logged in, logged in and could not find it again - I guess their playlists are region limited which totally sucks.

Also their catalogue needs a LOT of work.  They only have three Therion albums. Their Dire Straits catalogue is only CD quality. Leaves a bit to be desired.

• Like 2

A week or so into a Qobuz trial and I have to say that Tidal sounds better excluding the high res content. I only stream with no stored music.

I find that Qobuz has more weight to it but the upper registers are hard and ragged.

The lag when navigating via Ipeng with my Innuos is a small inconvenience too.

Edited by Gryffles

3 hours ago, Gryffles said:

find that Qobuz has more weight to it but the upper registers are hard and ragged

Not sure what could be causing this impression.

I heard nothing like this in my comparisons to Tidal. 

Nor have I heard anyone else report this. Maybe check your settings?

• Like 1