Suggestions for 4K amp to replace 13 yo Onkyo 805 and complement Musical Fidelity M6i

I've just bought an EPSON TW9400 and so need to upgrade my old Onkyo 805. This has been a great amp but only handles 1080. Sonically I've been very happy with it. However, I recently upgraded my front speakers to B&W CM10S2 and rears to CM8S2. I've also just purchased a second hand Musical Fidelity M6i for front duties. So I'm looking for a new AV amp to fit into this new system. I only need 7.1 as this is my current set up and Atmos speakers are not feasible. I'm assuming that a decent 4K AV amp with say 100W per channel will be ok given that I'll be using the M6i for the fronts. Are there other options? 

some shots of my system...

I'll be streaming Netflix and Prime through an Xbox One S. I'll also start trying some 4K Blu Ray through the Xbox. While picture quality is pretty good through the streaming services I find the audio to be pretty average. The projector set up will be mainly for movie nights one or two nights a week. I use my 65 Oled for day to day viewing.

As I start to upgrade i guess i'll need to start paying more attention to my sources. I currently stream Tidal through an Airport Express and optical link to my amp. It would be nice if the new amp offered easier and more consistent streaming.

I'm still learning.

2 minutes ago, Pio_fan2 said:

I'll be streaming Netflix and Prime through an Xbox One S. I'll also start trying some 4K Blu Ray through the Xbox. While picture quality is pretty good through the streaming services I find the audio to be pretty average. The projector set up will be mainly for movie nights one or two nights a week. I use my 65 Oled for day to day viewing.

As I start to upgrade i guess i'll need to start paying more attention to my sources. I currently stream Tidal through an Airport Express and optical link to my amp. It would be nice if the new amp offered easier and more consistent streaming.

I'm still learning.

hi, none of this needs latest and greatest, id get anything from 2018 onwards... as comes with earc and thats got you covered going forward :)

the denon/marantz dual outs work a treat for dual displays and can highly recommend. either those brands mate well with musical fidelity doing the fronts as well

recommend something like 

denon 3600/ marantz 6014 

https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/denon-avr-x3600h/usa/marantz-sr6013/usa/

or

denon 4500/ marantz 6013

https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/denon-avr-x4500h/usa/marantz-sr7013/usa/

all these will work seamlessly with anything want to throw at them :) 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, betty boop said:

hi, none of this needs latest and greatest, id get anything from 2018 onwards... as comes with earc and thats got you covered going forward :)

the denon/marantz dual outs work a treat for dual displays and can highly recommend. either those brands mate well with musical fidelity doing the fronts as well

recommend something like 

denon 3600/ marantz 6014 

https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/denon-avr-x3600h/usa/marantz-sr6013/usa/

or

denon 4500/ marantz 6013

https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/denon-avr-x4500h/usa/marantz-sr7013/usa/

all these will work seamlessly with anything want to throw at them :) 

Cool. Thanks. That's about the level of amp I was expecting to need given I'll be using the MF for the fronts. I've also had recommended Anthem 520/720. It looks like any of those will do the trick. My preference is for second hand to maximise bang for buck.

I must admit I like the look of the Marantz amps. I have a soft spot for Marantz as my first proper amp was a Marantz PM50.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Pio_fan2 said:

I only need 7.1 as this is my current set up and Atmos speakers are not feasible. 

I would take a look at the new Anthem range with the entry level 540 as it has added an extra 2 channels to the older 520 and with your MFs H/T bypass it would fit perfectly with its amp reassignment and 7.1 pre outs :)

Its upgraded well thought off arc genesis has a decent calibrated microphone [ no hockey puck] and they have dropped dts playfi for better apps like roon [ keep an eye out for thoughts on these]  . With this also there is no second guessing every year about new models as Anthem had these in development for years..

Anthem® | MRX 540 | Overview (anthemav.com)

• Like 1
On 14/04/2021 at 9:56 PM, Pio_fan2 said:

Cool. Thanks. That's about the level of amp I was expecting to need given I'll be using the MF for the fronts. I've also had recommended Anthem 520/720. It looks like any of those will do the trick. My preference is for second hand to maximise bang for buck.

I must admit I like the look of the Marantz amps. I have a soft spot for Marantz as my first proper amp was a Marantz PM50.

The Anthem x20 range do not have eARC. So if that is important to you please bear that in mind.  This was one of the key factors in me ruling out the 1020 from my upgrade plans. 

As betty boop states you should be able to meet all your requirements from most other AVR's from 2018 onwards. I took this approach and purchased a Marantz SR8012 for my 4K/Atmos upgrade replacing a Yamaha RX-A3020. 

• Like 1