Watched the 1979 Mad Max that got released on 4k uhd blu-ray... 

IMG_1645.jpg

For what is a 41 year old movie its come up amazingly well must say. a true bit of Australiana ... and good for a look see at the mad max grand daddy gosh its some galaxies away from the more recent mad max fury road...  !

Goodness what a time capsule this movie is ! such different times... movies were quite different too.. It was an absolute blast ! amazing this movie led to the stretch of movies and something like mad max fury road i really enjoyed... This has come up so well picture and audio wise it was originally Arri shot and with Todd-AO lenses plus has had a 4K processing to preserve every bit ! . It would be a must watch id suggest if can get hold off. Do folks remember watching this original when in the flicks ? what did you think back then :D really keen to know and if have explored more recently :)

Some screen shots and it is magnificent via the JVC N7 projector and 4k blu-ray source.

025A1335.JPG

025A1344.JPG

025A1345.JPG

025A1351.JPG

025A1357.JPG

025A1360.JPG

025A1362.JPG

025A1367.JPG

025A1368.JPG

025A1370.JPG

025A1377.JPG

025A1380.JPG

025A1383.JPG

• Like 3
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched the 1979 Mad Max that got released on 4k uhd blu-ray...      For what is a 41 year old movie its come up amazingly well must say. a true bit of Australiana ... and good fo

Black and chrome edition!  

such a top movie ! was way too young to see it at the flicks as well, cant remember when i first saw it, but a long time ago.      wow didnt realise that was shot there ... great can conne

It was amazing to see Hugh Keays-Byrne in this film in the key role of Toe Cutter

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0117412/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Also amazing they got him back in the role of Immortan Joe for Mad Max Fury road. Sadly it was THE last film he did and he passed away peacefully in December last year. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Keays-Byrne

• Like 1

Best Australian made movie ever.

I saw this for the first time on VHS, so a few years after cinema release.  I was too young to see it at the flicks.  I feel I’ve known this movie my whole life.  Geez I love his V8 Interceptor...

I liked how it looked on bluray, so 4K would be a real treat.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The beach scene with the mannequin was shot at Seaford pier, which is where I spent my summer’s when growing up.  Oddly, I’ve always been proud of that fact!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Best Australian made movie ever.

I saw this for the first time on VHS, so a few years after cinema release.  I was too young to see it at the flicks.  I feel I’ve known this movie my whole life.  Geez I love his V8 Interceptor...

I liked how it looked on bluray, so 4K would be a real treat.  

such a top movie ! was way too young to see it at the flicks as well, cant remember when i first saw it, but a long time ago.  :) 

11 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

The beach scene with the mannequin was shot at Seaford pier, which is where I spent my summer’s when growing up.  Oddly, I’ve always been proud of that fact!

wow didnt realise that was shot there ... great can connect to it that ways kaynin :)

• Like 3

Saw it at the Drive In on release, still the only one IMO, the rest were Hollywood bling riding on the title name.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, muon* said:

Saw it at the Drive In on release, still the only one IMO, the rest were Hollywood bling riding on the title name.

wow drive in ! what did you think of the movie back then watching it ? 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, betty boop said:

wow drive in ! what did you think of the movie back then watching it ? 

Loved it!

Had a realness about it, but sometimes that realness can cause discomfort as it did with one scene. It didn't reach into the realms of fantasy like all the sequels did and so many action flicks do, and I liked that.

Although the bikies seem a little soft compared to the ones IRL, OK a lot :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, muon* said:

Loved it!

Had a realness about it, but sometimes that realness can cause discomfort as it did with one scene. It didn't reach into the realms of fantasy like all the sequels did and so many action flicks do, and I liked that.

Although the bikies seem a little soft compared to the ones IRL, OK a lot :lol:

I think you are right muon, it seems to have a realness...rawness that many modern flicks and sequels lack...

• Like 2

I was way too young to be let into the cinema when this was released... I remember the ads where the interceptor would drive through a caravan..... 

But why it’s such a cult to us Mebournians is that the movie was shot around Melbourne and country Victoria....  The garage scene was done in Melbourne uni underground car park that I believe is still there.   Some of the other court scenes was done near science works where the old sewerage pumping station was,  some of these places are still there and you can related that to the movie when you visit these places.  The little house that Max was filmed in has now transformed and was on the market recently.

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/boost-juice-founder-janine-allis-lists-mad-max-house-in-fairhaven/

The latest film Fiery Road was filmed here with some scenes in NSW where I know a number of ex colleagues participating when it was filming, so good to see occupying locals and integrating them in many scenes.

Always interested and looking forward to any mad max films,  very entertaining franchise 

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

I was way too young to be let into the cinema when this was released... I remember the ads where the interceptor would drive through a caravan..... 

But why it’s such a cult to us Mebournians is that the movie was shot around Melbourne and country Victoria....  The garage scene was done in Melbourne uni underground car park that I believe is still there.   Some of the other court scenes was done near science works where the old sewerage pumping station was,  some of these places are still there and you can related that to the movie when you visit these places.  The little house that Max was filmed in has now transformed and was on the market recently.

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/boost-juice-founder-janine-allis-lists-mad-max-house-in-fairhaven/

The latest film Fiery Road was filmed here with some scenes in NSW where I know a number of ex colleagues participating when it was filming, so good to see occupying locals and integrating them in many scenes.

WOW ! thats some amazing stuff addicted. 

I think its why i love australian movies... as it take a slice of what know and can connect. 

that melb uni carpark is probably THE most photographed carpark in melbourne since :D 

never knew of the fair haven place...wow still going :)

• Like 2
12 hours ago, muon* said:

Although the bikies seem a little soft compared to the ones IRL, OK a lot

"bikies" is a word I have always loathed because in my mind it undermines the whole tough guy image.  I much prefer the American equivalent of "bikers", bikies sounds like the feminine appellative of biker.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

WOW ! thats some amazing stuff addicted. 

I think its why i love australian movies... as it take a slice of what know and can connect. 

that melb uni carpark is probably THE most photographed carpark in melbourne since :D 

never knew of the fair haven place...wow still going :)

Some more details can be found:

https://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max/filming-locations/melbourne-university/index.html

my daughter was fascinated by the how it started and bought the whole collection on 1080.   She was really fascinated where she’s been and where filming took place....

In Fury road the ex colleague had shown up in a few scenes, I won’t say which one for privacy reasons but was base in Sydney, and I was fascinated how the part was obtained....    would have love to be part of it, if it was here in Melb would have put my hand up, wouldn’t care if I didn’t get paid.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Surprisingly some of the locations sill remain untouched which is good to see.

amazing bit of work done there to find all these locations....

I remember  wandering around San Francisco noticing all the holywood locations of famous movies id recognise... nice can do this with an aussie film :)

• Like 1

I remember walking down Rundle mall to see Mad Max at the Acadamy Theatre in Adelaide, was around 15 - not sure if I lied about my age or not

Great movie I have all 4 (pretty sure the first 3 are DVD with 4K Fury Road).  Love the rawness of the original 

Big fan of the old school Falcons  Plenty of quotes......

Like the sign say's "Speeds just a question of money, how fast you wanna go?"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 14/04/2021 at 3:12 PM, betty boop said:

It was amazing to see Hugh Keays-Byrne in this film in the key role of Toe Cutter

Huge fan of Mad Max, the actor who played Toe Cutter was also involved in this classic Aussie biker film.

Back then only an idiot would ride a Harley and the dream bike was the Kawasaki Z1 900.

stone-australian-movie-poster-md.jpg

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Goatboy said:

@betty boop - did you grab this in Australia ? I see it on US Amazon but couldn’t find it locally.

hi GB, indeed sadly not available here.... which is an absolute outrage ! an australian classic and not sold here...but thats another story Grrr ! 

yes from amazon us site,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H5DFV1P/

the price is fine for what it is, but the costs almost as much to get here !

not everyone likely share my enthusiasm for this kind of outlay but worth it for me and something will cherish :)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, betty boop said:

hi GB, indeed sadly not available here.... which is an absolute outrage ! an australian classic and not sold here...but thats another story Grrr ! 

yes from amazon us site,

not everyone likely share my enthusiasm for this kind of outlay but worth it for me and something will cherish :)

You get the American cover, which is something we don't really get to see!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, betty boop said:

yes from amazon us site,

Thanks Al. I suspected as much... I have Prime so if I order a couple of things I can avoid postage. 

And thanks for the heads- up on the film. Owning it on 4K is a no - brainer ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

You get the American cover, which is something we don't really get to see!

I love the cover, is that the  original american poster or did we have something else here when it was originally released ? :) 

Just now, Goatboy said:

Thanks Al. I suspected as much... I have Prime so if I order a couple of things I can avoid postage. 

And thanks for the heads- up on the film. Owning it on 4K is a no - brainer ?

i have prime too...but how do you avoid that amazon us shipping ? as it just doesnt show up on the aussie amazon site. unless mean you have the amazon us prime ? :) 

yes i think this is the original USA release poster, what a cracker ! 

image.png

no idea what the local aussie poster was ....

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I love the cover, is that the  original american poster or did we have something else here when it was originally released ? :) 

AUSTRALIAN104-2.jpg.4591e2c7b77fd693497cb7cdef000d8a.jpg

Original aussie

Wow, hate the American poster :(

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, muon* said:

Original aussie

thanks muon, looks was a roadshow release too originally ...

4 minutes ago, muon* said:

Wow, hate the American poster :(

hehe quite different isnt it ... quite a work of art though...

the other interceptor poster appears to be for foreign releases... ? seeing some with spanish and what not...

• Like 1
Just now, betty boop said:

thanks muon, looks was a roadshow release too originally ...

hehe quite different isnt it ... quite a work of art though...

the other interceptor poster appears to be for foreign releases... ? seeing some with spanish and what not...

No doubt, I'm just a stickler and lover of originality in all thing :)

• Like 1

Both covers convey a very different message.  The original Aussie is dark and moody, the USA makes it look futuristic.  No surprise as Mad Max is set in the future!

@muon*  a blast from the past seeing the original cover, brings back memories!

• Like 2

The original movie didn't feel futuristic to me at the time, nothing in the movie lent Itself to this, cars, fashion ect'.

I don't recall any shortages like with water in the original, just that the roads had been plagued with gangs getting up to no good. I think this is why I see the sequels as 'based on the original movie' rather than continuations, personally.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, betty boop said:

i have prime too...but how do you avoid that amazon us shipping ? as it just doesnt show up on the aussie amazon site. unless mean you have the amazon us prime ? :) 

No I’ve got Oz Prime. But it looks like it doesn’t qualify for Prime shipping. Oh well, now I’ll be forced to buy a few things to justify shipping ?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, muon* said:

The original movie didn't feel futuristic to me at the time, nothing in the movie lent Itself to this, cars, fashion ect'.

I don't recall any shortages like with water in the original, just that the roads had been plagued with gangs getting up to no good. I think this is why I see the sequels as 'based on the original movie' rather than continuations, personally.

interesting take muon... ie always seen it as a bit futuristic in that its set in a time when society has crumbled and such ? an the future movies this has all just progressed further ? i probably need to watch the sequels again :D i might have this all very wrong ....

• Like 1
Just now, Goatboy said:

No I’ve got Oz Prime. But it looks like it doesn’t qualify for Prime shipping. Oh well, now I’ll be forced to buy a few things to justify shipping ?

yeah thats what i thought..

if you buy a few things is it still $20 for shipping or do they keep pilling it on with the shipping more things you buy ? . let us know how you go... i'll keep in mind for next time :)

Well It's didn't seem far from IRL to me, but I grew up in a lower socioeconomic suburb that had It's own local outlaw biker gang chapter that were not viewed from a distance often, and personal interactions were sometimes unwanted but not infrequent for a fair few..

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, betty boop said:

yeah thats what i thought..

if you buy a few things is it still $20 for shipping or do they keep pilling it on with the shipping more things you buy ? . let us know how you go... i'll keep in mind for next time :)

I ordered three 4k titles and postage was $25. So not cheap, but at least postage didn't scale for each item.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Goatboy said:

I ordered three 4k titles and postage was $25. So not cheap, but at least postage didn't scale for each item.

thanks GB, will keep that in mind to bundle few more in next time i buy from amazon us... definitely would ease the pain :D

• Like 1
On 16/04/2021 at 4:06 AM, STROP said:

Back then only an idiot would ride a Harley and the dream bike was the Kawasaki Z1 900.

Give it a break mate. You most probably don't even ride. Ohh, I used to have a R100s as well.

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Give it a break mate. You most probably don't even ride. Ohh, I used to have a R100s as well.

The R100 Mazda - so did I  - not old enough to legally drive it but did. Heading up to the Sunshine Coast one weekend to watch everything behind me disappear in a huge amount of steam - the water seals let go - a rotary rebuild. A sensational car in its day - excepting its capacity to "eat" seals ??

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

Don't call me mate, I don't know you from a bar of soap...

Did you grow up during the 70's? At that period of time the consensus was what I wrote above, the Kwaka 900 was the bike to own and Harley riders were somewhat frowned upon.

21 minutes ago, Biko said:

The R100 Mazda - so did I  - not old enough to legally drive it but did. Heading up to the Sunshine Coast one weekend to watch everything behind me disappear in a huge amount of steam - the water seals let go - a rotary rebuild. A sensational car in its day - excepting its capacity to "eat" seals ??

R100S BMW which was the other bike in the movie from memory, either that or the 90s.

Edited by Wimbo
7 minutes ago, STROP said:

Don't call me mate, I don't know you from a bar of soap...

Did you grow up during the 70's? At that period of time the consensus was what I wrote above, the Kwaka 900 was the bike to own and Harley riders were somewhat frowned upon.

What? by you. Real bikers don't put **** on other peoples rides bloke. Who frowned on Harley riders back then "bloke"? I'll quote the old cliche, Z900's made Harley's look maneuverable. Ohh, the bikes to own were Laverda 3C's later the Jota and various Dukes. If you could afford them.