Hi All,

I realise this is a very common request but I'm hoping someone can help me with upgrading my home theatre audio? I have very little experience with audio tech.

I currently have a 5 year old Yamaha RX - V381 receiver and a set of budget Yamaha HTiB 5.1 speakers.

From reading lots of posts, I'm not sure whether to get a good 3.1 set up going and then adding surrounds later or go for a full 5.1 package.

Ideally I'd like to keep the receiver for now if it's anyway capable of handling a better set of speakers?

Room is small, 3x3m ish.
Used for Movies, TV and PC gaming.
Location Perth.
Budget approx. $1000

What would be the opinion of the following or any other better options?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/158810829443172/

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/yamaha-ns51-series-5-1-channel-speaker-package.html

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/yamaha-5-1-channel-speaker-system.html

Thanks.

Welcome

I like being used, but that means you have to know what to look for. 

Buying at HN means you can pay it off.

I hope that there are members here that knows the different sets of speakers and give better advice.

I personally either like 2 (2.1) channel or 5.1

My advice is to go to the shops e.g. HN JB HiFi  people selling stuff and listen to what you can afford.

Buy what you like.

• Thanks 1

We have similar sized room at 3 x 3.4m and with minimal budget, my suggestion is to buy used instead of brand new to maximize performance.

I have a 5.1.2 atmos set-up in that room and just spent $1000 for all 9 speakers (upgraded the included Yamaha center to a used Dali center) and Yamaha atmos amplifier including room treatments and cables. Just scroll though fb marketplace or gumtree daily for good deals.

Usually, the used market sells complete 5.1 or 7.1 systems but if you can find a good quality 3.1 system, you can initially use your existing 4 HTIB speakers for surrounds /atmos.

• Thanks 1

:welcome:to the forum...

Personally, I avoid HN and JB Hi-fi because they generally do not have people with good knowledge.  

What do you feel is lacking in your system?  Are you looking to upgrade because you cannot play the latest audio formats?  Or looking for more oomph from movies and games?

With a limited budget, suggest the Classifieds.  And upgrade incrementally, not buy a whole package. 

As examples, adding a used sub often improves the movie experience.  The front 3 speakers are the most important, so maybe upgrade them next? Often, receivers have low power, so maybe get a more powerful one? (Given your small room, maybe no space for power amp).

Please tell us more about where you think your system needs improving and we will guide you.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Thanks folks, I'm more than happy looking through classifieds, 2nd hand market. It's just the complete lack of knowledge regarding which ones are good value and not just rubbish!

22 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Please tell us more about where you think your system needs improving and we will guide you

The current system is perfectly adequate but I've recently upgraded the TV and PC so yeah, I guess I'd like a bit more umph and clarity from the L, R and C.

Eventual plan (move to new house 12-24 months) would be the upgrade to a new amp such as Yamaha RX-V6A and better quality speakers. I like the looks of the Polk S series.

Edited by bluefieldcat
spelling
1 hour ago, bluefieldcat said:

The current system is perfectly adequate but I've recently upgraded the TV and PC so yeah, I guess I'd like a bit more umph and clarity from the L, R and C.

Eventual plan (move to new house 12-24 months) would be the upgrade to a new amp such as Yamaha RX-V6A and better quality speakers. I like the looks of the Polk S series.

Then, start with a used sub and change the front 3 speakers when funds permit..

Please note that your Yamaha RX - V381  70 W (6 ohms, 0.09% THD, 2CH)  is not powerful.  The Yamaha RX-V6A 100 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD, 2CH driven) is OK, but if you have a larger room, suggest getting a more powerful unit.   If You want to learn more about AVR power, please see my guide.

The Polk S series have a sensitivity of 90 dB.  The more sensitive the speaker, the easier it is to drive.

1 hour ago, bluefieldcat said:

Thanks Snoopy8.

On a different track, would either of the below be good options?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1268620927
Fronts Chorus 710. Centre CC 700 Rear Chorus SR700.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/canning-vale/speakers/top-class-jamo-5-1-home-theater-speaker-package-bargain/1271359094

Both appear OK on paper, but it is Gumtree.  If you can listen to them, and check for physical damage, especially the speaker cones, pick the one you think sounds better.  (First lesson: trust your ears).

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo