Rebecca 2020 and 1940 - worlds apart ...

I don't think I've ever had the good fortune to watch a movie and then watch its earlier release from some 81 years earlier.... ! :D

Rebecca the original Alfred Hitchcock release in 1940 followed by its Neflix release and remake in 2020...both made in very different times and couldn't be more different ...

Happy to share my thoughts on both in seperate posts below, but also keen to hear thoughts of other folk on either ....

image.png

Rebecca (2020) We seemed to stumble across Rebecca... on Netflix and watched via our appleTV 4k and jvc n7 projector. A remake of the old 1940s alfred Hitchcock classic... thank goodness hardly remembered the original story. Its 2020 remake is a good sat night movie with the missus.  Stunning scenery from the French riviera to the manor in the english country side. Looks amazing and shot using Arri Alexa 6.5k source and mastered in 4k. Atmos audio to go with it as well. Pretty well made movie. Good acting and kept us engaged... Some scenes below capturing some of the beauty and characters.

025A2699.JPG

025A2701.JPG

025A2704.JPG

025A2705.JPG

025A2706.JPG

025A2707.JPG

025A2712.JPG

025A2713.JPG

025A2714.JPG

025A2718.JPG

025A2721.JPG

025A2723.JPG

Rebecca (1940)

IMG_1898.JPG

Having watched Rebecca (2020) the netflix remake.... and ever since then, both wife and I have been pretty keen to check out the original 1940 Alfred Hitchcock version... fortunately criterion has done a great restoration of it for release on blu-ray, Now I had some trepidation what be like on on my jvc n7 projector, let alone what audio would be like with such an old movie... only to be pleasantly surprised... with a picture thats very presentable... as with the audio, not a scratchy old track that distracts from the movie, instead it is a pcm 5.1 track i post processed to auro3D for 7.1.6 and did very nicely...to the point i am literally blown away to think this is a 81 year old movie folks ! 

Movie wise... what can i say.. how is it possible such an old movie can out do its modern remake. well it just does. I wont say any more incase might take away from any one else watching either... some screen shots to appreciate a little what this one is all about...

025A3017.JPG

025A3020.JPG

025A3025.JPG

025A3028.JPG

025A3033.JPG

025A3043.JPG

025A3044.JPG

025A3049.JPG

025A3050.JPG

025A3052.JPG

025A3053.JPG

025A3054.JPG

025A3060.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 1

if watching the remake and then its 81 year old predecessor wasn't  enough... i think its erringly spooky ! wife and i are wandering around in the Dandenongs the next day, duck into an old bookshop there and what catches my eye is the Daphne du Maurier original book Rebecca...its quite amazing it starts exactly as the original 1940 movie... very detailed and savouring this one... page by page....this is a whole another thing as well :D

IMG_1906.JPG

• Like 2

I have seen the original many times and the remake recently. As you say, they are worlds apart. The original is a superb film, full of tension and suspense.. The remake does not reproduce that. That don't call Alfred Hitchcock the master of suspense for nothing.

The evil Mrs Danvers is a pale impersonation of the character from the original film who is one of the great baddies of film history. 

Edited by Telecine
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Telecine said:

I have seen the original many times and the remake recently. As you say, they are worlds apart. The original is a superb film, full of tension and suspense.. The remake does not reproduce that. That don't call Alfred Hitchcock the master of suspense for nothing.

The evil Mrs Danvers is a pale impersonation of the character from the original film who is one of the great baddies of film history. 

thanks for your thoughts tele, interesting re Mrs Danvers... played by the excellent Kristin Scott Thomas in the 2020 version and does pretty well I think...if looked at in isolation... what i find intriguing is the role was played originally by Judith Andreson, I dont know a lot about her. but how differently she plays the role in the 1940s edition. I dont know if its hitchcocks hand played here but what is all the more amazing about how the role is played in the 1940 edition is the impact she has with what she doesnt say or do ? less is more ? perhaps it leaves more to suspense or gets the mind working i dont know... its actually a common thread across the two movies... the characterisation, acting - role play is so very different between the two movies....and perhaps why each play out so differently ? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Godot said:

There is also this British version, excellent cast with the sensibilities to enhance the story in this medium. 

wow i never realised there was a British version as well, indeed a pretty decent cast and would be interesting to explore ! 

• Like 1

If you'd like to know a bit more about the remarkable M's June Anderson then have a listen to this. She's much much more than you think.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/judith-anderson-mrs-danvers-rebecca-star-trek-vulcan-priestess/13291044

Villainesses and Vulcans — the life of Judith Anderson

When Judith Anderson starred in Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca at the end of 1939 she was 42 years old.

Movies were somewhat incidental to her career, as she was a Broadway star of thirteen years standing.

But playing the eerie and malicious housekeeper Mrs Danvers would transform her career.

Desley Deacon spent many years unearthing the story of Judith's life.

Judith was born in South Australia and in 1918 she boldly set off for the United States to pursue a career as an actress.

Judith didn't fit the starlet stereotype but this was to her advantage, as she was often cast in roles reserved for powerful women.

After playing Mrs Danvers, she began a storied career on stage and screen.

Later, she found a cult following for her portrayal as T'Lar, a Vulcan high priestess in Star Trek, and starred in the soap opera Santa Barbara.

Judith was married twice and declared that "neither experience was a jolly holiday".

Further information

Judith Anderson: Australian Star, First Lady of the American Stage is published by Kerr publishing

First broadcast February 2020

Duration: 43min 19sec
Broadcast: Tue 13 Apr 2021, 11:00am

•  
Edited by Luc
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Luc said:

Judith was born in South Australia and in 1918 she boldly set off for the United States to pursue a career as an actress.

thanks luc, someinteresting stuff ! who would have thought she was an aussie ! :D 

her performance definitely pretty key to the 1940s Rebecca being what it is...isnt it ? 

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

her performance definitely pretty key to the 1940s Rebecca being what it is...isnt it ? 

Yep

• Like 1

Good to see you caught up with this @betty boop. Had a hunch you would blown away. That ABC review was actually on the wireless today. Dame Judith was a wild girl and for a few years there, possibly the most accomplished actress working. Starred in some of the best of cinema, and a few of the  worst ( looking at you “ Inn of the Damned 1975). 
‘ REBECCA’ was one of the earliest films to feature an unseen character who is central to the narrative, a device later deployed to comic effect in ‘ FRASIER ’ and ‘ BIG BANG ‘ to name just two.

Next two recommended titles, both from 1949, ‘ THE QUEEN OF SPADES ‘, and ‘ THE THIRD MAN ‘.

Billy

• Love 1

4 hours ago, groovem said:

FYI Dame Judith Anderson was actually born in Adelaide in 1897 before moving to the UK and US to pursue her acting career. She died in California in 1992.

wow seems she had a long life groove.....

25 minutes ago, ZEN MISTER said:

Good to see you caught up with this @betty boop. Had a hunch you would blown away. That ABC review was actually on the wireless today. Dame Judith was a wild girl and for a few years there, possibly the most accomplished actress working. Starred in some of the best of cinema, and a few of the  worst ( looking at you “ Inn of the Damned 1975). 
‘ REBECCA’ was one of the earliest films to feature an unseen character who is central to the narrative, a device later deployed to comic effect in ‘ FRASIER ’ and ‘ BIG BANG ‘ to name just two.

Next two recommended titles, both from 1949, ‘ THE QUEEN OF SPADES ‘, and ‘ THE THIRD MAN ‘.

Billy

thanks Billy  ! really glad got onto the original :)am pretty intrigued by part Judith played in this film. :) interesting thoughts on the unseen character aspect ... and how its used.

not heard of the queen of spades... which is good... look forward to check out. feels like decades since seen The Third man... so mandatory i see that again... infact Rebecca has encouraged me to check out more of the older Hitchcock films... i have the entire later set of movies... so quite a fan :)

• Like 1