Moderate sized speakers which give big sound

Good afternoon all,

In the past, I've received many helpful suggestions re : amps & CDPs. That area of my system is now sounding quite good thanks.

However, I don't think my speakers are quite right for my musical requirements, hence this post.

For a few years, I've been listening to B&W CM5S2, which are a very " musical " and high grade speaker, but  don't quite give the sense of " scale " that I like, with Classical orchestral, orchestra and choir and pipe organ music. Yesterday, I listened to  the wonderful recording of Praetorius' Christmas Mass, which I've had for a number of years.

It's one of my favourites, and although everything was " there ", it didn't have the sense of space and scale which it should have, being recorded in Roskilde Cathdral in Denmark. I have the feeling that " bookshelf " speakers cannot reproduce this type of music adequately ( my guess ), even though I also have a REL T3 subby.

In the past I've had floor standing speakers, such as Tannoy, Elac, ProAc,  and way back at the start of my audio " adventure ", a pair of Hafler cylindrical units ( which were actually pretty good ). Over time, I sold them progressively to fund upgrades or put the $s to other uses.

Now, even though I have a small - ish living room, I'm thinking of obtaining a pair of floor standers again, or moderately large stand mounters, as long as they can give this big, open, unforced sound I like.

Any suggestions from my more experienced and learned SNA friends would be gratefully accepted.

Dennis

Budget?

My Kii Three bookshelves will give the sound stage and sense of scale, but I suspect, too much $$$$$.

• Like 2

I would think that these would fit the bill nicely. Very good pricing as well.

Audio Physic Sitara 25.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Budget?

My Kii Three bookshelves will give the sound stage and sense of scale, but I suspect, too much $$$$$.

Thanks Snoop : sorry I forgot to mention price. The Kii 3 is WAY out of my league !

The upper limit for me would be $1500, depending on what I could get in selling my B&Ws.

Dennis

27 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Audio Physic Sitara 25.

Thanks for the suggestion. My limit is $1500, depending on what I get for the sale of my B&Ws.

I bought them new and paid $2500 including stands. Too much on reflection.

Now I'm on the pension, so money isn't plentiful.

Dennis

• Like 1

I'd guess that you won't get any meaningful upgrade going from a $2500 pair of bookshelves to a $1500 floorstander. Maybe adding a second sub to your system would be a better way of going about it. For your price range though I'd probably look at the Q Acoustics 3050i and I see Eastwood Hifi have some Monitor Audio speakers on special for just under and over your budget. They seem to get decent reviews, but I think it's more the silver/gold range rather than the base model.

Definitely should consider the secondhand market to get the most from that budget.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pops110 said:

Audio Physic Sitara 25.

These will need some wellie to get moving, won’t they. 4 ohms.

• Like 1

The amplifier being used will have a very big influence on an appropriate recommendation in this situation.

• Like 2

Yep, you’re spot on there. I should really have mentioned that.

My Audio Physics really came alive with 400 watts into them.

I would go back to basics..

The room has the biggest influence on SQ. Please describe your room and provide a sketch of your speaker location and main listening position. 

25 minutes ago, buddyev said:

What amp are you using?

Agree. The amp, speaker synergy is one factor to consider. 

• Like 1

Having read your previous post under amplification, while I'm not sure what is to blame, I'd consider selling your amps as well as your speakers, looking for a decent inexpensive used integrated, which may leave you more for speakers. Did I also see that you have a square-ish room? - that won't help matters.

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I would go back to basics..

The room has the biggest influence on SQ. Please describe your room and provide a sketch of your speaker location and main listening position. 

This will help people advise further. It will help to list the full system again as well.

• Like 1

@Berkel  Considering that you are located in Melbourne, why not pay Osborne a visit and have a listen to the F4’s, a bit over budget but at least you will get firsthand experience if these suit your needs ( take a few cd’s with you).

https://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/f4

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, 5L15 said:

@Berkel  Considering that you are located in Melbourne, why not pay Osborne a visit and have a listen to the F4’s, a bit over budget but at least you will get firsthand experience if these suit your needs ( take a few cd’s with you).

Now that looks very interesting :thumb:

Edit: i wonder how they handle complex classical passages.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 5L15 said:

Osborn would certainly be front of mind for me here, but I'm not thinking models yet. In practice I'd want to see the room setup before going there. It's possible that replacing the full amp/speaker set with something like the Consonance Tristan amp and Eos, keeping the sub or not, may be a better bet.

Let's see the current setup and room size/layout first.

Edited by Eggcup the Dafter
  • Like 1

Used VAF I-66, Jamo Concert 11, Dynaudio 1.8 etc, Wharfedale Linton current series, Focal 826, Proac Response 2, 2.5, Studio 200 & 250, Yamaha NS1000, Krix 250, Esoterix Mk2, Monitor Audio, Spendor etc

• Like 1

+1 for Osborns, albeit a little over your budget. I have also had great results with QAcoustics Concept 20 speakers paired with a sub. You could go higher up the range. I also listen to a lot of large scale classical. All of the Osborn range have a 'big' sound irrespective of size so I would think the F4 with the Rel sub would work nicely. 

• Like 1