FS: Garrard 301 Turntable with REED 2A GOLD 9.5” Red Cedar Wand Tonearm & Koetsu Rosewood Signature MC Cartridge

Item Condition: Mint but used
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.
Suburb or Town: Berwick
State: VIC
Payment Method: EFT or cash on oickup
Reason for selling: Retiring from Hifi hobby

Further information:

Selling my Garrard 301 refurbished by Audio Grail UK fitted with REED 2A GOLD 9.5” Red Cedar Arm Wand Tonearm and Koetsu Rosewood Signature MC Cartridge. It is all setup and ready to PLUG AND PLAY. 

This age of this Garrard turntable with tonearm and Koetsu cartridge is about 4.5 years old and hardly played no more than 500 hours. The Garrard 301 is mounted on a hand made Cheryl timber double plinth very nicely finished with danish oil varnish. A perspex lid is included.

My asking price is reasonable as I’ve paid more than $12,000 for everything you see on this pictures. Serious buyer interested to own this turntable please don’t hesitate to make me a reasonable offer but no low baller please. I’m retiring from hifi hobby so I would like to hand over this turntable to the next owner who will treasure this beautiful piece of design.

If no buyer I will break all components apart for sale individually at later stage.

Note: 

For Victoria buyer - Due to the design of this turntable pickup is preferable.

For interstate buyer - CANNOT BE SHIPPED in its current configuration.  

I can dismantle and repack in its original individual packaging and ship but you will have to reinstall the gears by yourself.  

AudioGrail Hammertone Garrard 301

Audio Grail is an established professional company of 18 years standing dedicated to the finest detailed restorations of Garrard 301 turntables. – Our passion is for the unique heritage of the 301, our approach to restoration is a detailed labor of love

Audio Grail works in conjunction with artisan paint finishers (Six year Rolls Royce apprenticed) and antique plating companies to achieve authentic detailed restorations of the highest quality. In total, close to 120 years of combined professional experience is afforded to each of our Garrard 301 units.

This Audiograil Hammertone Edition 301 has been professionally stripped, measured and rebuilt by Audio Grail in their Devonshire workshop to achieve the highest possible standard of mechanical function. Audiograil use precision equipment, lubrication's, bespoke rivets and tooling alongside brand-new improved component parts where required.The dynamically balanced stroboscopic this edition 301 has been prepared in our bespoke satin finish –This elegant finish contrasts wonderfully with the textured chassis and face plates.

Linkages

To create the finest iridescent finish, each nut, bolt, washer, screw and associated linkage (Over 90 in total) have been ‘strung’ individually by hand prior to acid stripping and plating. Audio Grail linkages are not ‘tumbled’ (Produces an inferior dull scared finish). The stripped linkages and fixings are then electroplated uniformly with a ‘yellowed’ Zinc (This superior finish was chosen as the original Garrard Cadmium plating is poisonous) The results are spotlessly clean mechanical components that function perfectly, are factory fresh, and gleam in iridescence preserving for a further 50 years of function

Idler Wheel

One of the main sonic detractors of the 301’s is the problem of ‘Rumble’. A significant factor in the cause of rumble in the 301 is the deformation / distortion / drying of the idler wheel. A flat or warped idler wheel will ‘thud’ on the platter transferring the noise straight to the stylus that acts as a microphone.

The idler wheel of this 301 is a brand new ‘solid hub’ example with the flat rubber ring precision ground to very high standards. The idler wheel is accompanied with brand new sintered bushes ensuring a close tolerance and correct service. Having tested and measured every after-market idler wheel available over the years we are very happy with the performance of this new component.

Spindle / Bearing / Housing

New gasket, oil retaining felt washer and zinc plated bearing plate.

Motor strip and service

The Heart of the matter – The full title of the 301 is: “Garrard 301 MOTOR unit’ after 50 years these motors require heart surgery… The Garrard 301 shaded pole induction motors feature sintered bronze bushes secured by rivets and lubricated by felt oil reservoirs. It was by design the sintered (heat pressed bronze powder and oil) bushes would wear with use / time. The bushes were made to be self-centering however the direction of wear from the idler wheel’s ‘pinch’ effect between motor pulley and platter causes an ‘ovaling’ which in turn creates noise and vibration transferred to the platter via the pulley to the platter and in turn the stylus. In addition, vibration of the motor to the chassis and in turn the spindle housing and platter again translates to audible noise. Many have attempted to attend to the motor issue: PTFE, CNC Oilite etc bushes have all been used however due to costs (Set up bespoke mold costs & production requirements) No one has attempted to re-make Genuine Sintered bronze bushes which contain 20%+ oil – Until Now. The tolerances of the new bushes and their ability to correctly lubricate the Stator translate to significantly quieter running and audibly quieter noise floor.

Spring replacement

All of the delicate springs on the 301 are vital in terms of functionality. The motor springs isolate vibration coupled with rubber sleeves. Often these are stretched. The effect of this is a motor that is noisy in operation. (The motor will not hang correctly in its ‘cage’ causing uneven wear to the motor bushings and idler wheel bushes.) The idler wheel springs are critical in order to ensure correct engagement of the idler against the pulley. The pitch linkage features three small springs, which are often stretched causing difficulty with pitch control and vibration transference. The 301 available here features a completely new set of springs and rubber sleeves ensuring the finest possible function

Further works

All Audio Grail 301’s come replete with: A brand new brake pad, set of mounting bolts and idler housing grommets. All electrical connection points are cleaned and treated, many individual components are ultrasonically cleaned and bench polished. In addition, we faithfully restore and upgrade the original spark suppressor to ensures correct function whilst preserving the integrity and heritage of the unit.

===========================

Koetsu Rosewood Signature MC Cartridge

The Koetsu Rosewood Signature is a 9gm stereo moving coil cartridge with a natural Rosewood body, copper coil wiring, a Samarium Cobalt magnet and Boron cantilever. It is known for its deep and wide soundstage, clarity and dynamically sparkling midrange. It has a full-bodied sound which makes it an excellent choice for all genres of music.

Fumihiko used higher performing and more tightly matched coil and core sets in the Rosewood Signature compared to the Rosewood which results in a more precise focus and a larger soundstage than the Rosewood Standard. Please note that this cartridge has also been known as the ‘Koetsu Red K Signature’.

Reviews

The Absolute Sound, Dick Olsher, 2019

Listening to the Rosewood Signature was an addictive experience. It became difficult to curtail a listening session as there was always one more album I had to spin. It’s the cartridge I could happily live with for years to come. This is one of the easiest recommendations I’ve ever made, in essence a gift for the music lover who would like to kick back at the end of a long day and just enjoy the music. I think this is what Sugano-san had in mind all along.

Hi-Fi News, Steve Harris and Paul Miller, 2009

Crisp and fast yet with a midrange able to wring every last drop of passion from a recording, the Koetsu legend lives on in the addictive sound of this ‘Signature’ MC.

Product Specification

Body

Natural Rosewood with clear lacquer

Type

Moving Coil

Coil Wiring

Copper

Magnet

Samarium Cobalt

Cantilever

Boron

Output Voltage

0.4 mV

Frequency Range

20Hz to 100kHz

Channel Separation

25db / 1kHz

Inner Impedance

5 Ohm

Channel Balance

0.5db / 1kHz

Recommended Impedance

30 Ohm

Weight

9g

Recommended Tracking Force

1.8 – 2.0g

Compliance

5 X 10-6cm / dyne at 100Hz

Recommended Load

80-1,000 ohm

==================== 

REED 2A 9.5” Tonearm

The Reed 2A tonearm and is ideal for people who have a fixed audio setup and demand perfect sound. With a rigid and stable construction, the Reed 2A is the perfect market entry product by Reed, and promises the same sound quality as Reed 3Q model, albeit with fewer possibilities for adjustment.

Consisting of two parts, the Reed 2A has a massive stand and moving part, made of solid metal. It has a height (VTA) adjustment of 20 mm, with a fine tolerance of ±0.1 mm. After adjusting the tonearm height, it is then tightened to a stand. With ruby olive bombe bearings, the Reed 2A will keep mechanism friction to an absolute minimum, and has a down force range from 10 mN to 30 mN.

Tonearm is wired with Cardas wiring and WBT-0110 Cu RCA plugs (E37 + cryo)

Length - 9.5 inches

Red Cedar Arm Wand

Standard fixed headshell

Photos:

PLEASE READ

• If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved
  • If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item
  • If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved
  • You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
    - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

7686AA31-1FFC-49C0-BAAE-A49516B2F7AF.jpeg

8B94D253-B072-4704-8C33-31C3BB1A438F.jpeg

B0186B63-A6BD-4E9C-8A20-E83C83D9DED1.jpeg

37258542-B55A-44B9-A634-52F40D5F3A3C.jpeg

2C5D813A-D326-4B7F-8B1D-63362BFFCB8A.jpeg

0815D439-0FB8-4CAF-993B-5E713083D71A.jpeg

8086E503-3BDC-4B3A-9879-3A3462017743.jpeg

455BDA0C-0367-47C2-8B41-B1A34E41822D.jpeg

8D214C99-424C-4AD9-87DE-6624CC710F1D.jpeg

E01650C6-317B-409C-81CA-8D013E77644B.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 9

And to think................the ABC virtually threw these out!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gandra said:

Beautiful table and setup! 

GLWTS 

It certainly is, and the pictures don’t come close to doing it justice. I had the pleasure of auditioning Boon’s speakers when he still had his system intact. The TT performance is just sublime, the plinth is a work of art and gives the unit a commanding presence in any room.

Cheers,

Rohan.

• Like 1
  • Love 2