Stylus/Cart recommendation for Pioneer Rondo 3000x/y Turntable

Hi, i was given the above turntable and i can find a direct stylus replacement which i believe is conical. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a elliptical stylus that will be a direct fit? Hope that makes sense.

Cheers Murray

13 minutes ago, Muzzman007 said:

Hi, i was given the above turntable and i can find a direct stylus replacement which i believe is conical. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a elliptical stylus that will be a direct fit? Hope that makes sense.

Cheers Murray

You should be aware, that in most cases,  the required stylus is not wedded to the turntable brand/model.  Mostly, you can replace the cartridge with a new one of a different type (and new stylus) for little more than the stylus alone.

A quick search seems to indicate this turntable has a standard headshell and cartridge setup.  Should be many options available.

7 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

You should be aware, that in most cases,  the required stylus is not wedded to the turntable brand/model.  Mostly, you can replace the cartridge with a new one of a different type (and new stylus) for little more than the stylus alone.

A quick search seems to indicate this turntable has a standard headshell and cartridge setup.  Should be many options available.

Thanks for the reply Aussie, so would this be suitable?

https://www.selby.com.au/gifts/under-100/audio-technica-at-vm95e-dual-moving-magnet-cartridge-vm95e.html

1 minute ago, Muzzman007 said:

I would certainly expect so.   Really, a check of compliance vs tonearm characteristics, should be done, but on a more practical basis, the AT95E , and it's older parent AT95E, work well on nearly all  tonearms from this era, or even modern ones for that matter.

Note that many upgrades exist for that cart.  I run an AT95ML - costs around the $300 mark, and think is superb.  You can upgrade your elliptical stylus to a nude elliptical, shibata, or microline like mine.  A good choice IOW

14 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I would certainly expect so.   Really, a check of compliance vs tonearm characteristics, should be done, but on a more practical basis, the AT95E , and it's older parent AT95E, work well on nearly all  tonearms from this era, or even modern ones for that matter.

Note that many upgrades exist for that cart.  I run an AT95ML - costs around the $300 mark, and think is superb.  You can upgrade your elliptical stylus to a nude elliptical, shibata, or microline like mine.  A good choice IOW

That is great info thank you. This table has sat in storage for over 25 years so i ordered a new belt which was easy enough. I naturally thought a stylus would be necessary, but to be honest i think it sounds great. It has this  on it.

20210411_181135.jpg

Well having seen it,  you CAN buy Shure replacement styluses quite readily.  Many Shure styluses can be made to cross fit with other models, sometimes with some plastic surgery.

The VM95E is still a fine option.

18 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Well having seen it,  you CAN buy Shure replacement styluses quite readily.  Many Shure styluses can be made to cross fit with other models, sometimes with some plastic surgery.

The VM95E is still a fine option.

No worries, thanks for you help Aussie.

Great to hear the Shure M55EM is sounding good. Its an older design (some info here)  so probably worth keeping an ear out for distortion as the stylus may be worn after all these years. 

In addition to the advice from @aussievintage , you might also consider an upgrade replacement stylus from Jico,  which are available at relatively low cost - eg https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHN055VLIMPL.html . This stylus should be better than the original.  

I would suggest that you get a replacement styli for the Shure that you have, it will be the easiest option if you are new to turntables.  The styli assembly pulls off and the new one will slide on.  The AT95 cart suggested would be a good replacement, however, you will need to have the cart aligned in the headshell, which will be a bit of fiddling about if you haven't done it before (lots of info/videos online on how to do it).

I would also not trust the styli that you have on your turntable.  Many old turntables didn't get their styli changed, so you may have one that is very worn.  You don't always hear a worn styli.  It only takes one playing of a record with a worn styli to permanently damage the record. 

Get a replacement styli to play your good condition records.  Keep the old one so you can swap it to play very old damaged/scratched records you might get from an op shop, so you protect your good styli for your undamaged records. 

Enjoy your turntable.