Budget AV Receiver Under $500 Recommendations

I am looking to replace my Onkyo TX-SR313 AV Receiver with a budget under $500, deeply under if possible. I have had it for several years but it is playing up lately with some HDMI ports not working, distortion on a front speaker channel, etc. 

The Home Theatre is for my wife and myself. I want to replace it with a nice sounding budget AV Receiver. I do my critical listening in my office and my studio. I have pretty great equipment for myself (KEF LS50 + Orchard Audio Starkrimson Integrated Amps + Orchard Audio PecanPi + Roon and Qobuz Subscription) that I have somehow managed to talk my wife into allowing me to have. My music taste is too eclectic to bring into the family room. I have realised that I like the surround sound experience for movies and TV. The Onkyo TX-SR313 has a warmth to the sound that I like. Uses include Apple TV, Blu-Ray movies, Netflix, Playstation and Streaming Lossless Audio via a Roon endpoint.

Ok enough background. I am looking at a Onkyo TX-SR393 or a Yamaha RX-V385B. I was heavily leaning towards the Onkyo TX-SR393 but it appears to be a difficult find in Australia. As I mentioned I like the warmth of Onkyo's sound so I am a little disappointed about this. Even If I do find one, I am not confident I would be able to get parts for it should it ever need to be repaired. 

And so this brings me to the Yamaha RX-V385B which I know nothing about. 

Again, priority is decent but on a budget. My existing Onkyo SKF-4800 Front Speakers + Onkyo Woofer, Center and Rear will be fine for time being.

Appreciate thoughts on these AV Receivers or other recommendations that fit the ticket. 

Thank you StereoNet community. 

Edited by herebedragons69
clarity
  • herebedragons69 changed the title to Budget AV Receiver Under $500 Recommendations

If you do not need the latest formats, get one from the Classifieds; you can pick up a  good one if you are patient.  I would not consider the ones you mentioned "decent" because of the lack of power.

The SR-393 may or may not have more power than your existing SR-313, 155 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 channel driven) vs 100 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 1 Channel Driven).  You can always deliver more power with more distortion.  Onkyo is one of the worst vendors by publishing totally misleading power numbers.  And it is impossible to compare with the Yamaha RX-V385: 70 W (6 ohms, 0.09% THD, 20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven).

If you must get an Onkyo, go used and with as high a power number as possible. With other brands, suggest getting at least 100W (8 Ohm, 0.1% THD, 2 channels), especially when the room is larger.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 1

THanks @Snoopy8 , f you were looking in classifieds for a used AV Receiver under $500 what brand and model would you look for? Uses include Apple TV, Blu-Ray movies, Netflix, Playstation + Streaming Lossless Audio via a Pi based unit. 

Actually @Snoopy8 I don't think I want to buy a device from the classifieds. Everyone overvalues their gear. I believe if you've had something for 3 to 5 years and gotten your money out of it then it should be sold for 33% of original value and less, unless it's an Apple device, a Japanese audio pressing, a Swiss camera or lens or a German machine. No one else seems to feel that way. 

So I'll keep with my request in my topic. If not those units I put forward then I'll hear about something else. 

I am assuming you are connecting via HDMI 1.2 and/or other optical, coax.  So, please check connectivity requirements when you purchase.

A quick search, with the only criteria being on/below budget to give you ideas, but may not ship, may be sold, may not have all features you want

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/343376-fs-integra-dtr-70-6-avr/?tab=comments#comment-4733616

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/343345-sold-denon-avr-4311-92-channel-network-avr/?tab=comments#comment-4733440

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/342238-sold-arcam-avr-380-72-receiver-amplifierhere/?tab=comments#comment-4726859

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/341519-sold-fs-denon-avr-x4000-price-drop/?tab=comments#comment-4722562

If you have the patience, there are some bargains available.  Unfortunately for existing owners, AVRs depreciate quickly and thus have poor resale value, but good for buyers such as yourself.

2 minutes ago, herebedragons69 said:

Actually @Snoopy8 I don't think I want to buy a device from the classifieds. Everyone overvalues their gear. I believe if you've had something for 3 to 5 years and gotten your money out of it then it should be sold for 33% of original value and less, unless it's an Apple device, a Japanese audio pressing, a Swiss camera or lens or a German machine. No one else seems to feel that way. 

So I'll keep with my request in my topic. If not those units I put forward then I'll hear about something else. 

I missed this.  I disagree about over pricing of AVRs in the Classifieds, but so be it.  Any new AVR less than $500 will be under powered.  Best wishes with your search.

• Like 1

@Snoopy8 When you said "look in classifieds" I thought you meant Gumtree and Facebook marketplace. I had not looked for an AVR here at stereonet . I thought it would be all hifi gear here. I'll have a look. 

56 minutes ago, herebedragons69 said:

@Snoopy8 When you said "look in classifieds" I thought you meant Gumtree and Facebook marketplace. I had not looked for an AVR here at stereonet . I thought it would be all hifi gear here. I'll have a look. 

Suggest you post a wanted ad in the WTB section too.

• Like 2

Power specs for AV receivers are hard to take seriously. But depending on your room, speakers, sub and listening tastes, it might not really matter. Inputs and features would be a way bigger factor for me at least (unless you’re really caning the system in a huge room). 

For under $400 with a two year warranty, I reckon the Yamaha should be an acceptable replacement for the Onkyo provided it meets your other requirements.

Hopefully a used bargain will present another option but lack of warranty on something like this justifies a bit of caution IMO. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RCAJack said:

Power specs for AV receivers are hard to take seriously. But depending on your room, speakers, sub and listening tastes, it might not really matter. Inputs and features would be a way bigger factor for me at least (unless you’re really caning the system in a huge room). 

For under $400 with a two year warranty, I reckon the Yamaha should be an acceptable replacement for the Onkyo provided it meets your other requirements.

Hopefully a used bargain will present another option but lack of warranty on something like this justifies a bit of caution IMO. 

Thank you. I totally agree. I did not want to go deep on this. My Onkyo SKF-4800 Front Speakers, sub, centre and rear speakers are entry level at best. I am looking at moving within 2 years and don't want to do a major upgrade on the home theatre atm. As I said before I'm very happy with my personal critical listening setup.

Edited by herebedragons69
13 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

I personally would go Yamaha before Denon/Marantz. So something like this I would suggest

https://www.excelhifi.com.au/yamaha-rx-v4a-refurbished.html

Having used a Marantz SR5004 for the surrounds, I'd have to disagree with 'before'. Maybe on par?

It won't distribute anything better than a 1080p (so I direct connect 3D and 4K) picture, but the sound is excellent for the 5 channels I use. And, as they're often advertised for $350, I'd say they are a bargain. And a lot of control for 90 W/ch.

16 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

Having used a Marantz SR5004 for the surrounds, I'd have to disagree with 'before'. Maybe on par?

It won't distribute anything better than a 1080p (so I direct connect 3D and 4K) picture, but the sound is excellent for the 5 channels I use. And, as they're often advertised for $350, I'd say they are a bargain. And a lot of control for 90 W/ch.

There's nothing wrong with the sound, I just find the brands to be somewhat unreliable.  I use a Marantz SR5013 in my own HT.  Used Denon's before and they had faults/didn't last. I've read Marantz is having problems now too.