Vinyl wrap for a VPI Scout

Hi all,

The vinyl wrap on the corner of my Scout TT has pulled away from the MDF plinth. Has anyone experienced this with a VPI, or any other turntable for that matter?

I'd like to get it fixed, but not sure where to go. VPI recommended I take it to my "local vinyl wrapping place". I'm in Sydney, and after a quick google there are a lot of car wrapping outfits, but not much else that would seem to be suitable.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers!

VPI Wrap_1.jpeg

I would recommend contacting a car upholsterer or furniture restorer. They should have the experience in making that type of vinyl sit and stay where it should.

• Like 1

The vinyl car wrappers use is strong but thin and wont stick to timber unless its painted and finished smooth.

Have not seen the VPI in the flesh but that vinyl looks thick with a slight leather grain texture. 

@Ooogh is probably on the right track with an upholsterer. They use contact adhesive so would need to strip the TT back and give them the plinth only.

IMO if you have to go that far it would cheaper to have it two packed in piano black  

• Like 2

Another suggestion is to contact Cameron at Krispy and ask what can be done. Is this the later Scout or original from way back?

Edit: Post thought. Might be worth also posting this on the VPI forums and seeing what others have done. I agree with @Ooogh and @Powerglide that a proper 2-pack solution to add some weight to the Scout plinth may really help here. @Pops110 and @Bisguittin may also have some really good suggestions with the recent TNT restoration.

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 2

l vinyl wrapped a pair of Concerto's a couple of years ago with the car stuff.

Still looks as good as new and was easy to do.

The firm that does the sign writing on our trucks will do anything.

Saw a white car they did to matt black, couldnt tell.

Will be doing large areas of my plane when l am finished.

regards Bruce

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Fantastic. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get in touch with Cameron as well, to see what he suggests. 

Forgive my ignorance, but @Powerglide and @xlr8or, what do you mean by 'a 2-pack solution'?

Its the Scout 1.1. I bought it off SNA in 2014

Cheers. 

Edited by Needo22

Two pack polyurethane paint has a catalyst (hardner) when added the curing process begins, once set, its one of the hardest paint finishes out there.

Comes in any colour, even clear, gloss levels range from 25% to 100% full gloss, sometimes referred to as piano finish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do a bit of this for my work, I’m OK with satin clear but paint, especially gloss, needs a booth as the drying process takes  a few hours any dust or bugs and your back to square one.

Expect to pay around $100 SQM for a standard colour, up to $170 SQM for metallic or pearl off the gun finish on a flat surface. You can add more for heavy flake finish with clear over the top that can be buffed.

Most painters will quote per job for smaller items or 3D items (speakers) which don’t stack up as a per meter rate. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry, unfortunately got no idea how to fix this one. The TNT being acrylic I was able to polish just about everything out.

I would imagine that to use vinyl wrap for cars you would have to paint the plinth first. So you would be better off leaving it painted. Paint would probably be the route I would take.

• Like 2