Thor Poweboard Noise?

I just got one of those sub $200 Thor poweboards, 8 sockets.

In a quiet room you can hear it. That electronic squeal, like a very high frequency constant noise.

Is this normal for these things? Does it eventually go away?

Should I just aim for something better, Isotek one or something else?

I have a Thor Smartfilter 8 at my feet now at my computer, makes no noise, maybe return for another unit.

BTW, many including myself have found that while the Thor boards work OK for most audio components they are not good for amps, they tend to limit dynamics with amps plugged into them.

I use some smaller ones daisy chained for my CD player but have my amp plugged into a non filtered board.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Send it back and just get a normal powerboard.  Spend your money on music you like.  You'll be much happier.

Odd suggestion. It's a fairly cheap powerboard. Bought off forums, can't return it. I'll just find another spot for it.

6 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Odd suggestion. It's a fairly cheap powerboard. Bought off forums, can't return it. I'll just find another spot for it.

Why odd? We should not put up with faulty products. Shoddy manufacturing and poor quality control is riding on the shoulders of complacency of consumers.   

If you bought it this way with no warranty or opportunity for return, then you should be happy to bin it, or re-deploy it, when it fails to provide the expected functionality -  as you say you will. 

• Like 3

They make a very noticeable positive audible difference with my CD Player plugged into them.

I would not get rid of them, just return for non faulty one and use it for anything except amps.

Edit: Ah! @Bengineer just saw it is a second hand unit.

Edited by muon*

2 minutes ago, muon* said:

They make a very noticeable positive audible difference with my CD Player plugged into them.

Just remember, that is only your own personal experience, coupled with anecdotal "evidence" from others.  I think I remember you are anti DBT etc (apologies if otherwise), so I will leave it at that.

3 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Just remember, that is only your own personal experience, coupled with anecdotal "evidence" from others.  I think I remember you are anti DBT etc (apologies if otherwise), so I will leave it at that.

Yes, when confronted in the jungle by an elephant, it is unwise to believe there is an elephant in front of you without scientific verification :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, muon* said:

Yes, when confronted in the jungle by an elephant, it is unwise to believe there is an elephant in front of you without scientific verification :lol:

Indeed, some would demand a DBT because sighted opinions are unreliable and prone to bias.?

Edited by rantan
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, rantan said:

Indeed, some would demand a DBT because sighted opinions are unreliable and prone to bias.?

I am really glad you guys can have a laugh about it.  Truth is, I nearly didn't post that comment - worried about yet another brawl starting.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2021 at 3:57 PM, Bengineer said:

*new* but bought here so no warranty don't think. Bank 1 is fine. I'll just use it for the two speakers, DAC/amp combo and the PC or something. Just waste of 4 ports.

If not tried already can you plug what is in bank 1, into Bank 2 and see if you still get noise?

Thinking it may be one of your components plugged into Bank2 that is somehow generating the noise.

• Like 1

Just reading the Thor Technologies website re warranty. Even if its a second-hand unit it would be worthwhile seeing what they say is going on. From a PR point of view you would think they would not be too keen on a SNA discussion on their products worth. Their website   puts them forward as the real deal.

Cheers

• Like 1

Contact Nick Forster-Jones their National Sales Manager on 1300 766 140. Maybe he will offer  some technical support. I would mention that you have been seeking the advice of 'fellow Stereonet members" on this forum. Be interesting to see what reaction you get.

Cheers

• Like 1