Herbie's Gliders—anyone tried them?

My new speakers are coming soon and I'm enthused enough to try setting them up from scratch. The WASP (Wilson Audio Setup Procedure) requires lots of small moves (as do other setup processes) and moving 65 Kg speakers with spikes is not my idea of fun. I'm also wondering if spikes give the optimum sound; and they would sure make it hard to move if the best spot is inconvenient except for listening.

Has anybody tried Herbie's Decoupling Gliders? or anything similar?

For just under US$ 136 they could be worth a try. A lot cheaper than a Townsend or IsoAcoustics solution.

I bet the Wilson manual recommends using spikes, so the gliders will just be temporary until the final speaker position has been found. In that case, furniture gliders from Bunnings will do.

• Like 1

I currently use them with my Wilson Benesch loudspeakers on carpet. Fantastic product and makes re-positioning a breeze. Good improvement in tightening up the bass - however cannot compare to Iso acoustics.

If it is a requirement to frequently move speakers around, this product is fantastic.

Use Big Flat Gliders under 60kg speakers and 60 kg subs. Makes moving easy, certainly eliminated the resonances of having subs on wooden floor. Haven't tried the Bunnings furniture sliders.

Used Herbies Gliders under my speakers when the kids were little so I could slide them out for use (I had self adhesive dots on the floor to locate the feet). Now the kids are older I use Isoacustic Gaia and sound has definitely improved, although the Gaia grip the floor instead of sliding.

I am a big fan, I have them on some heavy atacama stands to slide my speakers out into position on our timber floor when the family are out. The atacama and herbie's combo sound better then what I was previously using (lighter wooden stands with rubber feet).

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks all.

I ordered sets for my speakers and Flexy stand, so I'll give them a try.

A talk with Robert—"Herbie"— and I decided on the regular size. Due to the concrete slab floor he didn't see a need for the giant ones. And yes, even with the previous speakers the bass did vibrate the slab.

I use Herbie SS gliders under my Wilson Maxx3's. They are 198kgs each. 

I can move my speakers easily for fine tuning.

Certainly no difference sonically to putting the Wilson spikes into the Wilson brass floor protectors. 

I also have them under my entire 12 space rack which weighs several hundred kgs.

Highly recommended 

or buy the Wilson Sliders at on US $800 per set of 8.  :no:

http://parts.wilsonaudio.com/wilson-audio-slider-set/

WASlider3__48209.1479242462.jpg?c=2

Edited by metal beat

Well, the little sliders/decouplers arrived today and were soon installed under the spikes of my old TV room speakers, as the new SGR MTs are still in the manufacturing phase.

These speakers are tiny, and light, on stands. Boy, they sure do slide easily, and they don't compress the carpet much so we'll see when the 65+ Kg newies arrive.

I have only been listening to these little things very casually since I miss the overall quality of the CX4Fs and the bass. They do sound much better though, more clarity and focus, more bass and just generally more pleasant. If the sliders do a similar job on the big speakers I'll be very pleased.

I bought an extra set of 3 for the legs of my flexy table; to be installed when the rest of the equipment arrives.

• Like 1
On 15/04/2021 at 1:26 PM, GregWormald said:

Thanks all.

I ordered sets for my speakers and Flexy stand, so I'll give them a try.

3 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Well, the little sliders/decouplers arrived today and were soon installed under the spikes of my old TV room speakers, as the new SGR MTs are still in the manufacturing phase.

Wow! that was a pretty quick turnaround from when you ordered them. This was from the US, right?

5 hours ago, anandpkumar said:

Wow! that was a pretty quick turnaround from when you ordered them. This was from the US, right?

Yeah.

By the time I got to the checkout UPS delivery was only a smallish amount more so I took it.

They were shipped in two days and arrived today rather than Wed. as estimated.

12 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Yeah.

By the time I got to the checkout UPS delivery was only a smallish amount more so I took it.

They were shipped in two days and arrived today rather than Wed. as estimated.

Faster from the US to here than local delivery through Aussie post!