Duratone (Canberra)

6 hours ago, Bronal said:

The store was called Acoustic Images

Yes, it was in Manuka in an arcade. The building was going to be redeveloped and the access was going to dramatically change, giving very limited access for stock in and out, and even worse was going to have almost no visibility to customers. It had not been trading all that strongly at that time so Fay decided to close it down which was a hard decision for her. She tended to be a bit of a hoarder so she hung onto everything and everyone, including shops. However, the reality of the situation made it untenable to continue, the decision was made, and I was the last person to remove the last vestiges of stock, fixtures, and fittings from that shop.

I have found this a most interesting discussion to read through. I know all the characters, shops, and history quite well and it is interesting to see everyone's thoughts, opinions, and recollections.  

Duratone has had other shops over the years including Sound Set in Mawson which I recall being run by Brian Eardsley. He may well have been the original owner and Fay and Charles bought it off him and let him continue to run it. I know he worked in the office for many years and was heavily involved in Duratone Imports.

They also had a shop in Belconnen for a short period. I think it was set up in the Jamison Centre perhaps. It was set up by Rudi who was a partner in the business at the time. The story is he did it while they were on a European trip doing some hi fi business and mooching around in the classical music world in general. They didn't approve of the move and it caused a rift between them. I believe they bought Rudi out and he was not supposed to set up in opposition to them for a certain period of time. He got around that by setting up an arrangement with a hifi shop in Sydney and that is how Kent HiFi in Canberra was born.

While I have not been in touch with Duratone for a while, I do know that both Fay and Charles are no longer involved in the day to day running. Charles has not been there for quite some time. He became quite ill in about 2007 and never really came back to his old self. Fay has had to take a back seat more recently, perhaps within the last couple of years.

I could be tempted to tell more stories and relate some more history if someone asks me ?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Igotmearecord said:

I have found this a most interesting discussion to read through. I know all the characters, shops, and history quite well and it is interesting to see everyone's thoughts, opinions, and recollections.  

Duratone has had other shops over the years including Sound Set in Mawson which I recall being run by Brian Eardsley. He may well have been the original owner and Fay and Charles bought it off him and let him continue to run it. I know he worked in the office for many years and was heavily involved in Duratone Imports.

They also had a shop in Belconnen for a short period. I think it was set up in the Jamison Centre perhaps. It was set up by Rudi who was a partner in the business at the time. The story is he did it while they were on a European trip doing some hi fi business and mooching around in the classical music world in general. They didn't approve of the move and it caused a rift between them. I believe they bought Rudi out and he was not supposed to set up in opposition to them for a certain period of time. He got around that by setting up an arrangement with a hifi shop in Sydney and that is how Kent HiFi in Canberra was born.

While I have not been in touch with Duratone for a while, I do know that both Fay and Charles are no longer involved in the day to day running. Charles has not been there for quite some time. He became quite ill in about 2007 and never really came back to his old self. Fay has had to take a back seat more recently, perhaps within the last couple of years.

I could be tempted to tell more stories and relate some more history if someone asks me ?

It has been a great discussion given Canberra’s size and the input of people with genuine first hand knowledge of the shops, people and their personalities.

I take it Kent Hi Fi in Canberra was related to Kent Hi Fi in Sydney CBD - I remember going into the Sydney store around 1990 and seeing a massive Magnet amplifier - at the time, the biggest slab of audio electronics I had seen up to that time (other than speakers).

I do realise that both Charles and Fay are getting on in years now.

I wasn’t aware of the Mawson shop but I heard stories about the “relationship” between Kent hifi and duratone.

there has been some great and divided opinion about duratone.  I always enjoyed going there and they did me good.  I got to know them as a regular shopper there and they knew me for that.  I also sort of had a good background in the arts and music areas of Canberra too and that may have helped me - even though I had longish hair.   I enjoyed going there because they were my type of people - enjoyed the music, enjoyed the quality gear and also a bit “scatter brained” about other things.  As someone said earlier, in it for the love of the music and the gear.

some here have said they aren’t fans of the shop - well I was and still am.  It just makes me curious about how it will survive now - especially with the new changes there.  But t’is a shame that walking in there now and we won’t see Fay, Charles or even Pat.  Just doesn’t feel the same now.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Pigpen said:

I take it Kent Hi Fi in Canberra was related to Kent Hi Fi in Sydney CBD

I believe it was a relatively short term arrangement for "convenience" although the 2 shops assisted each other with stock issues and availability for some time after that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Igotmearecord said:

I believe it was a relatively short term arrangement for "convenience" although the 2 shops assisted each other with stock issues and availability for some time after that.

I often wondered about the relationship between Miranda hifi in Canberra to the place of the same in Sydney.

2 minutes ago, captain starlight said:

I often wondered about the relationship between Miranda hifi in Canberra to the place of the same in Sydney.

Miranda HiFi was a chain of corporate stores built up by Peter Gow, Elle McPherson's dad. I believe there were perhaps 2 franchise stores of which Canberra was one. When Miranda Hifi corporate was bought out by Brash's so they could expand into the Sydney market they didn't take the Canberra shop because Canberra wasn't in their plans at the time and it was a separately registered business so it could continue to trade as Miranda. That's as I recall it but I may have an imperfect recollection.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Pigpen said:

I take it Kent Hi Fi in Canberra was related to Kent Hi Fi in Sydney CBD.

Kent Hi Fi was directly opposite Duratone on Botany Street.  Whether this was by accident or design I don't know.  I remember they always had a good range of Sansui 'black face' equipment on display - the kind that people would give their eye teeth for these days.

• Like 3

On 13/04/2021 at 12:33 AM, Lansche plasma guy said:

The Music Room opened many years later upstairs in a couple of small rooms before moving to a huge ground floor retail shop in the city for a few years.  Geoff had been in the Public Service but always loved music and so opened a shop.  Geoff Forgy at the Music Room who was a true gentlemen and a great Classical Music and Jazz lover.  They had the bipolar Mirage speakers, large Duntechs (Black Knight, Crown Prince, Princess) and Audio Definitions which looked like Duntechs but wrapped totally in cloth.  The earlier Osborns where there sounding fast as lightning if a bit aggro with the yellow kevlar cones and continually blowing up tweeters (these were fixed much much later and were reliable after that) Peter Stein at ME was a frequent visitor at the shop when i was there with his gold plated ME mono block amps.  Musical Fidelity's big F series amps were driving the Mirage Bipolars and the ME drove the Duntechs.

Good to hear stuff about Geoff. Nice bloke.I worked with him for a while in Sydney and even played Tennis with him. He's now enjoying building his own speakers and running model trains.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Good to hear stuff about Geoff. Nice bloke.I worked with him for a while in Sydney and even played Tennis with him. He's now enjoying building his own speakers and running model trains.

There was a Geoff F at Len Wallis for a while - same guy?? If so, I dealt with him on the phone several times when I was living in Adelaide - super easy guy to deal with.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

There was a Geoff F at Len Wallis for a while - same guy?? If so, I dealt with him on the phone several times when I was living in Adelaide - super easy guy to deal with.

I will answer my own question - different spelling....different Geoff.

4 minutes ago, Lansche plasma guy said:

No it is the same Geoff.  He worked at Len Wallis in Sydney for a few years after shutting The Music Room and leaving Canberra.  A lovely man and a true gentleman.

Yes - recall him from a few discussions.   I knew the guy who worked in the CD/music area too.  He was very knowledgeable on music.   Cant recall his name but he went to jbs after the music room closed - but didn’t last there very long.   Very different clientele.

• Like 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Pigpen said:

That would be @Spinnergeoff I believe?

KENT HiFi (Canberra) PTY LTD (Incorporated in the ACT) also operated a shop in the Belconnen Mall in 1982. 
Being at the site of JB HiFi these days. 
I bought Acoustic Research speakers there AR48’s.

I recall a very young red headed fellow who worked there after school hours and was knowledgeable beyond his years. 

• Like 1

And few other old Canberra shops:

John’s Music in Fyshwick (mainly Pro gear for bands etc still operating) and Perreaux Dealer where I bought pre and power amps in 1985. 
Later there was another HiFi / Car Fi shop in Gladestone St who sold Perreaux.  

Then Valley HiFi in Tuggeranong Homeworld who I bought Mission 753 speakers in 1994. Glenn Large was the director. 

• Like 1

And don’t forget millennium hifi who were on the top floor across the road from duratone fir a small period of time.  I think they may be related to millennium pa (or something like that) who are still around.

I think valley hifi are still around but under a different name. - please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the kind words! For me it's always music (of all sorts) first, equipment second but in a vital supporting role.

My website is still up, and the Music page may be of interest. some of the links, like the one to The Case For Paul Desmond are no longer operative, and I haven't been maintaining the site for several years. Stereonet does a great job, so my site's not (maybe never was going to be) that important.

The curious might also find a link at the top of the Music page which does work, the one called Reminiscences, My Life With Music.

Home Entertainment Australia

Note Added Later: Jon Dryden's excellent paper about Paul Desmond can be downloaded as a PDF file here:

https://www.academia.edu/14473861/The_Case_For_Paul_Desmond

It's about 18 pages in length, a must read for jazz fans.

Fixed on the the web page as well!

Edited by Spinnergeoff
  • Like 6

Does anyone remember Pacific Stereo?  It was upstairs in the Style Arcade in Manuka.  This was the first hi fi store I became acquainted with after I moved to Canberra in 1975.  From memory it sold mainly upmarket US brands such as Crown, Phase Linear, JBL and AR as well as Pioneer.  The feature of the store I remember was its audition area that was like a sunken lounge where you sat on the 'steps'.

• Like 1

Sound Set at Mawson was basically a record store that also sold entry-level systems (Connoisseur turntables, smaller NAD and Rotel amps and bookshelf speakers).  It's amazing that in those days you could operate a hi fi store in a suburban shopping centre, although I don't think Sound Set saw the 70s out. 

• 1 month later...
Guest Genesis56

I met Pat at Duratone HIFi around 1986 or '87.  What a gentleman.  He told me he started off working for our Deep Space Communications Network, if memory serves me correctly, and Charles asked him to work at Duratone.  Last year (2020) I telephoned Duratone asking about a turntable and I asked after Pat.  I was told Pat had reverted to part time hours a couple of years ago but Covid had hit the store pretty hard and it was decided that Pat was at too much risk to continue working in the store.  I last spoke to Fay about two, maybe three years ago.  She told me at the time that Duratone was her only interest, and she looked forward to spending a few hours a week in the store.  Over the years I have purchased a fair bit of gear from Duratone.  I recall that anytime I made a purchase it would end up in an argument between Pat and Fay behind the front counter.  Fay would be telling Pat how to do his job and Pat would be muttering under his breath saying things like; "If there is a God, please strike her down".   Funny times. 

Edited by Genesis56

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2021 at 1:45 PM, Bronal said:

Kent Hi Fi was directly opposite Duratone on Botany Street.  Whether this was by accident or design I don't know.  I remember they always had a good range of Sansui 'black face' equipment on display - the kind that people would give their eye teeth for these days.

Great thread here…. I can add to the storyline as I worked at Kent HiFi from early 80’s to 1987 thereabouts.

Yes, the business was established and owned by Rudi Lengeveld, and yes it was directly opposite Duratone, by design IIRC haha…. Rudi was a shrewd businessman (being Dutch…say no more) and his goal was offer an alternative to Charles and Faye’s products and store experience. Rudi did work in the store on and off but mainly he employed John Pumpers as the day2day store manager and there were a few other permanent and casual staff as the core team.

Kent had a range of gear on offer from accessories like TDK and Sony cassette tapes, Ortofon cartridges, Sennheiser headphones, Pana / Technics portable cassette decks, and the best range of Sony Walkman and Discman etc. The store carried a good range of budget hifi systems with cabinets / matching speakers etc. We offered cassette tape stock at the best prices in Canberra at the time which was a plan to get people into the store and expose them to the hifi gear.

Bronal is correct, we had the now renowned Sansui AU series (black face gear + Vu’s) as well as Technics, Onkyo, Sony ES series and Denon receivers and separates. The main speakers brands were JBL ,AR (Acoustic Research), Mordaunt Short, KEF. We had a dedicated speaker demo room with amps / CDP’s / speakers all operational and switchable to demo various amps / speaker combo’s. This was a big selling feature compared to Duratone and I recall many customers saying their experience of what Kent offered in store presentation, layout, range of gear plus the speaker demo room were factors in them purchasing from Kent.

(to be clear… am not saying Kent was better than Duratone – just different and that clearly appealed to many punters.)

I still have my own Denon POA1500/PRA1000 power preamp set , 767 Tuner and DP35F t/t and Sony CDP338 ES CDP purchased under staff buy program. Rudi and John were great people to work for and we always respected that Duratone offered a range of excellent brands delivering a different “sound” to what we had. The Kent HiFi store model was a great success as we sold a lot of Sony ES, Sansui, Denon with speaker systems over the 5+ years I worked there.

“igotmearecord” is that you David B. ?

• Like 1

On 14/04/2021 at 7:53 AM, Pigpen said:

There is a lot of history and experience held within the collective memories of StereoNet members.

I recall calling to Duratone in 1977, lots of Celestions and some Quad 303/405  amplification in the back room, it was a friendly shop as I recall that suited people with music appreciation.  Nearby was a jazz venue.

• Like 2