Dirac Live Calibration

Hi All,

I hope this is in the right area. 

I am trying to configure Dirac Live on my NAD receiver. My room setup has 2 identical  2 seater lounges side by side. facing the screen.  This essentially means the arms of the 2 lounges are in the so called sweet spot. I know its not ideal especially for 2 channel listening but it is what it is.

I am using the couch layout option in Dirac so my question is, should I take my first primary reading from directly between the lounges in the sweet spot or should I take it from my primary listening position which is slightly to the left of the sweet spot.

Hopefully this makes sense to the experts out there. Searches have not answered my question definitavely. Any input is appreciated. 

You have 3 options for arrangement, tightly focused (chair), focused (small couch) and wide.  What are aiming to achieve?  If all you care is your primary listening position, then you should select tightly focused and measure from your primary listening position.  If you select small couch, then take measurement from sweet spot.

And no harm trying both and see what you prefer.

Hi Snoop, thanks for the response.

I suppose i am less bothered about it being tightly focussed when viewing movies with the family as I would prefer everyone to get some benefit, however for 2 channel listening I would prefer a tighter focus for my main listening position.

Can i save two sets of measurements and run a target against either of them or can I only have one set of reference measurements in Dirac? I am thinking I could have a focused(chair) Dirac slot for Movies and Stereo and a less focused(Lounge) movies option for family viewing? I have 3 usable Dirac slots on my AVR.

Will Dirac help 2 channel listening when you are not absolutely in the sweet spot between the speakers? Again I realise its not ideal but it will be interesting to see how it performs.

4 minutes ago, S1000XR said:

Hi Snoop, thanks for the response.

I suppose i am less bothered about it being tightly focussed when viewing movies with the family as I would prefer everyone to get some benefit, however for 2 channel listening I would prefer a tighter focus for my main listening position.

Can i save two sets of measurements and run a target against either of them or can I only have one set of reference measurements in Dirac? I am thinking I could have a focused(chair) Dirac slot for Movies and Stereo and a less focused(Lounge) movies option for family viewing? I have 3 usable Dirac slots on my AVR.

Suggest then doing 2 sets of measurements, 1 for movies and 1 for personal stereo listening and saving into different slots in the AVR. 

3 minutes ago, S1000XR said:

Will Dirac help 2 channel listening when you are not absolutely in the sweet spot between the speakers? Again I realise its not ideal but it will be interesting to see how it performs.

For me, Dirac makes 2CH music on an AVR acceptable.  And as mentioned above, your stereo will be measured differently than stereo. So you can optmise for both

12 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Suggest then doing 2 sets of measurements, 1 for movies and 1 for personal stereo listening and saving into different slots in the AVR. 

For me, Dirac makes 2CH music on an AVR acceptable.  And as mentioned above, your stereo will be measured differently than stereo. So you can optmise for both

If i can take two seperate sets of measurements and apply different speaker configurations and filters as required then thats a definite win.

I will pay for the full version as well. $99 US for that amount of flexibility across the full bandwidth seems like a very reasonable investment. 

Thanks again for the assistance.

Just now, S1000XR said:

If i can take two seperate sets of measurements and apply different speaker configurations and filters as required then thats a definite win.

I will pay for the full version as well. $99 US for that amount of flexibility across the full bandwidth seems like a very reasonable investment. 

Thanks again for the assistance.

That is what the slots are for in your NAD AVR.  It gives you flexibility to have up to 3 Dirac profiles and associate it with your inputs.

I think it is worth the USD99 for the full license, especially for movies.  For music, some people prefer using Dirac only for bass, hence the the standard version is enough; it comes down to music preference. 

Just now, S1000XR said:

One last question.

Is the supplied NAD mic really that bad? is a third party USB mic essential for decent results? 

?  Almost everyone supplies the awful pucks (Anthem being the exception), even for something as expensive as an Arcam.  The pucks will do the job, so try it.  Borrow a USB microphone and compare; I think they do make a difference.

And get a microphone stand, e.g. this from Swamp Industries. You can then at least get some consistency in your measurements!

21 hours ago, S1000XR said:

I am using the couch layout option in Dirac so my question is, should I take my first primary reading from directly between the lounges in the sweet spot or should I take it from my primary listening position which is slightly to the left of the sweet spot.

Difficult choice....  the answer is obviously "sit in the middle" .... but if you really can't, then you should take the primary measurement from the listening position.