Bookshelf speakers for Rotel A10 ≤$1k

Broad question, but no harm in asking.

Looking for bookshelf speakers under or around $1k, to go with a Rotel A10 and (predominantly) vinyl set-up. My tastes are mainly beat-based Latin, Brazilian, African, Caribbean , jazz etc (but also my old 80s alt stuff). 

As you can see from the photo, I plan to amuse myself by mixing, so some/most of the time I'm standing at the bench. But also sit back on the couch facing it to listen.

Double lounge/living room in old Victorian house - floorboards, high ceilings etc.

I know I should audition different choices and if I can I will, but I'm at least 90 minutes away from the nearest hifi showroom ...

Have been considering KEF 350s

any ideas would be welcome, thanks

IMG_0267.jpg

Likely need some efficient speakers (90+ db), also the genres of music you like will/may have  significant bass. Klipsch may be starting point. Richter Merlins (88db) may suffice, i'm not sure. Just don't want to strain the Rotel, obviously great little amp, may be a bit light in dynamics.

Others here may give you some ideas.

You are very lucky to be living in the Hifi capital of Australia........    I would advertise here in Stereonet in the Wanted to Buy section......   some EXCELLENT choices second hand would be Australian producers like

:Osborn  - Melbourne based ( second hand F1 or Atom or if you were really lucky, a pair of early Eos )

: Vaf -SA based but quite a few in Melbourne ( Signature i91 ..... I have seen the earlier model the Mk1 around $1200 a pair if you were really lucky .... an amazing speaker )

: and my pick if you can find a pair... Kef Q35 ... produced in 1997, ranked in the BEST 10 speakers Kef ever made. They are a big bookshelf or a very small floor stander depending on your outlook... search the net for that Key Top 10 article for a review.

All of these would sound great with vinyl...... not familiar with your amp so won't make a comment as to matching.

Good luck..... I think you are in an excellent position to score a fantastic speaker if you are patient, so do some research and follow the Stereonet ads.

If you can build a pair of speakers from an easy to build kit, then contact Mike Lenehan on here for a pair of his LK1. Bang on your budget or an extra $100 if you get Mike to build the crossover (I did). They are 86dB sensitivity but I drive them with an 8 watt class A amp, so I think the 40 watts from your Rotel will be fine.

• Like 1

hi @vyvafc i can't comment on the amp-speaker matching but a couple of options to consider especially if you can demo with YOUR amp.

If you want new...consider KRIX Equinox.  Current Mk.4 is RRP 895 for the standard black finish and carried by several retail outlets in Melbs.  Compact speakers but boy they can boogie especially with a quality powerful amp though. 

If open to 2nd hand...see a couple of examples from the SNA Classifieds below which might? still be available

KRIX Equinox Mk.3 $380+shipping

Monitor Audio GX50 $990+shipping

Cheers

Ticc

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far - all great ideas, following up various threads

@vyvafc Monitor Audio Bronze 2, well under budget, go very well with your Rotel, great bass, will suite your genre of music, front ported so can go close to walls

• Like 2

It sounds like you have a couple of extra challenges on top of the usual ones faced when matching amps and speakers, namely:

1. Needing a "bookshelf" speaker that works for both near-field and larger space listening.

2. Having an amp that works best with relatively efficient speakers, while also needing the speakers to sit close to a back wall.

I don't think you're looking for a unicorn as such, but it'd be an easy one to get wrong. The LS50 for instance has gained a reputation for needing a powerful amp to show it's full potential.

Assuming you'd like to keep the amp; one left-of-field suggestion is to get a good set of close-field monitors and then another pair of larger speakers (small floor standers?) for listening back on the couch - perversely, larger speakers are often much easier to drive. And you might even get a better result for the same budget rather than trying to find the one pair of speakers that does everything well.

I think the a10 actually already has an a/b speaker switch to facilitate this; if not the switch boxes are fairly inexpensive.

Whatever way you choose, keep us posted on how you go, and good luck!

(PS: the AR speakers in your pic remind me of the AR Model 5 I bought in the early '90s, and were only retired a few years ago. Great midrange; sadly the tweeters did not age so well ... But they owed me nothing)