Hello .. Don't quite get how this works.  I'm in London .. what drew me to the site was reviews on equipment that I own myself - generally very good reviews, which is encouraging. Creek 100A integrated amp https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-creek-audio-evolution-100a-integrated-amplifier , KEF R7 floorstanders (can no longer locate the review). Also have KEF R3s (R7s at the front, R3s at the side) - the Creek 100A drives the two pairs simultaneously, if needed, without getting anywhere near hot. The two pairs of speakers generally sound very good together - on some music things get a bit bright .. if on a digital input, top end can be shaved off with Roon equalisation (subscription ends in June .. don't use it that much, so don't know if I'll re-new - was about to buy a lifetime subsciption when the price went up from US$500 t0 $700 !) Also have a Naim ND5 XS2 that I was very fortunate to get new for £2k, instead of the £2400 RRP (also got my R7s brand new for £1750 instead of £2600 - so am doing very well of late with my system upgrades) Other equipment .. Rega Planar 3 turntable (2018 model) with Hana EH cartridge (need to get the PSU upgrade for the TT). Also, just arrived today, Musical Fidelity MX-VNYL phono preamp to replace the Creek Sequel mk3 phono stage modular plug-in I was using. Thinking of upgrading the power supply for the MX-VNYL - Sbooster BOTW mk2 would be nice, but £330 here, a bit steep .. suggestions for other options, perhaps ? (am considering an 'AudioBrava' PSU .. custom-made for Musical Fidelity, presumably .. on offer here in the UK on eBay for 95 quid .. anyone heard of these ?) Also have a Sony CDP-X5000 CD player from the late 90s & a matching MDS- J3000ES mini-disc player/recorder. Thanks for having me. Simon P James.

Welcome! I have KEF R700 as the fronts on my surround system, which are the older version of the R7. The sound quality is very good for the R series. I'm a bit surprised they sound bright for you. I never found KEF speakers ever tending to brightness, but maybe some room correction is in order. For myself, I found the bass can end up being a bit woolly. I had to try endless combinations of the port plugs to get it to sound right.

The ND5 XS2 is a good basic Naim source unit. Be careful though, it's a long, slippery slope to upgrading, power supplies and so on. But it looks like vinyl is your main source, so you're probably safe.

Welcome. Re PSUs for phono stage I haven't seen the modest priced one here but Sbooster is a good unit. If you can't demo, try the cheaper one first and you shouldn't lose much if you then onsell? But I would listen as is for a few weeks first as the included power supply should be fine. This is especially so if the unit is new and normally takes time to be its best. Good luck

On 08/04/2021 at 11:29 PM, spj747 said:

Hello .. Don't quite get how this works.  I'm in London ..

Quite simple, Simon - you post ... we respond!  :)

Other equipment .. Rega Planar 3 turntable (2018 model) with Hana EH cartridge (need to get the PSU upgrade for the TT). Also, just arrived today, Musical Fidelity MX-VNYL phono preamp to replace the Creek Sequel mk3 phono stage modular plug-in I was using. Thinking of upgrading the power supply for the MX-VNYL - Sbooster BOTW mk2 would be nice, but £330 here, a bit steep .. suggestions for other options, perhaps ? (am considering an 'AudioBrava' PSU .. custom-made for Musical Fidelity, presumably .. on offer here in the UK on eBay for 95 quid .. anyone heard of these ?)

Mmm, OK ... the 2mV output of the Hana EH would appear to work well with the 48dB gain option for the MM selection.  However, the loading you get (since it's the 'MM option') is presumably 47K ohms?  Yes, this is what the Hana specs recommend ... but I suggest - when you've got it all working - you might like to try a loading between 1300 ohms and 13K ohms (ie. 10x to 100x the coil impedance).  If you're interested, I can tell you how to go about this - just PM me.

I use Sbooster PSes in several places in my system; they are good ... but If 330 UKP is too steep - I would suggest the 95 UKP AudioBrava one would be a good buy.  From my own experience, a linear PS will deliver an increase in SQ, over the supplied SMPS.  :thumb:

Andy

Edited by andyr

11 hours ago, Dingbat said:

Welcome! I have KEF R700 as the fronts on my surround system, which are the older version of the R7. The sound quality is very good for the R series. I'm a bit surprised they sound bright for you. I never found KEF speakers ever tending to brightness, but maybe some room correction is in order. For myself, I found the bass can end up being a bit woolly. I had to try endless combinations of the port plugs to get it to sound right.

The ND5 XS2 is a good basic Naim source unit. Be careful though, it's a long, slippery slope to upgrading, power supplies and so on. But it looks like vinyl is your main source, so you're probably safe.

Only bright on occasion, when using the two pairs together .. works very well for some music though. The R7s on their own are not bright at all. I'm very happy with the speakers & think they're good value the for money. I can imagine that a predilection for Naim gear could get crazy expensive, if you had the wonga to burn - I don't .. & the ND5 XS2 has no input socket for an external PSU. Thanks for the welcome - all the best .. SJ.

5 hours ago, psychometrics1 said:

Welcome. Re PSUs for phono stage I haven't seen the modest priced one here but Sbooster is a good unit. If you can't demo, try the cheaper one first and you shouldn't lose much if you then onsell? But I would listen as is for a few weeks first as the included power supply should be fine. This is especially so if the unit is new and normally takes time to be its best. Good luck

Will do .. many thanks for the advice - much appreciated.