plastic cable cover removal

Hi, I have purchased some silver cable which came with banana plugs pre soldered, which i removed to fit spade connections (usa amp). The cable has 20 strands and is coated in a thick rigid plastic, and it is dipped so cannot be simply cut, to remove/expose. i have heated with a lighter to expose and clamped tightly, but a, am wondering whether this is efficient and a solid connect, and b, how to remove the plastic properly.

One idea was to solder the end with silver solder hence forcing the plastic out, , then clamp, ideas appreciated. 

Well It's no good if you are not connecting bare wire to the spade, and the wire is covered in plastic/insulation between the wire and spade.

If It's injection molded like I'm picturing it, maybe carefully cutting away the molded plastic with a Stanley knife.

As AF suggests above....need pics ?

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

It looks like Litz wire with individually insulated strands. 

There are a variety of ways to remove the insulation. Dipping the wire in a solder pot/bath is easiest, but most people won’t have one of these on hand. I’d suggest googling the other options, as you may find one which works best for you. 

1 hour ago, philwill1971@gmail.com said:

Solder pot a good idea. Anyone else?

I don’t think Wire world cables are litz. Just individual wires moulded as you’ve suggested.

Im not sure how successful a solder pot will be. Perhaps just scrape off what you can and heat shrink to hide it.

Looks like you have nothing to lose