Sunfire HRS12 > SVS SB1000 Pro, I did it and are surprised by the result

Hey,

thought I'd share my experience with the new SVS SB-1000 Pro for anyone considering one. I previously had a Sunfire HRS12 which was great for movies using the AVRs room correction (Audyessy) but not so good with stereo using CXA-80 or my current Parasound Halo 1, as there is a null/suck out from 35-45hz. I did try a MiniDSP with it but couldn't get a result I was happy with and the output volume for the MiniDSP was so low the sub would go into standby too easily and I swear there was a delay even if there isn't supposed to be. My room is small to medium 4.5x3.2m with 3m high ceiling with a hallway on the shorter side. So I never really got to use the full 1000w of the Sunfire, as I normally play music about 75dBish is enjoyable for me. 

So I was looking at the SVS SB-1000 Pro and the 2000 Pro which is twice the price for only 1Hz lower in performance (20Hz vs 19Hz at -3dB). I'd rather get a second sub for the price difference, which will definitely help with smoothing out room response or stack them for the extra output, but I'll start with one first. I held my breath as I sold the Sunfire and was praying I wouldn't regret this change. I have had it for a week and am really surprised by what $900 can get you now days. The app is really great for tweaking all the settings from the sweet spot and make a profile for music (PEQ to help with the null/suck), TV, movies and flat. It can definitely hit 20Hz with confidence and room gain means a bump in the DSP of +3dB at 20Hz compensates perfectly.

I think I'll keep it at one for a bit longer, but could easily cave if there is a sale some time soon or something. It makes me wonder how this new sub will effect the 2000 Pro sales when you can get two for the exact same price. the 3000 and up scale well for room size, but the 2000 looks like an odd one out.

Side note I got the seller at Apollo HiFi to get a bass sweep 0-100Hz on the bunch of subs including the SVS 16 Ultra which made me feel size for about 30min after, ha!

Cheers

• Like 2

Good feedback.

Are you using the MiniDSP with the SB-1000?

not sure what svs model plans are actually as they seem to bring out models that virtually "replace" the model above.

from my readings the pb1000 pro now it is 12" is not much short of the old pb2000, the pb3000 is not much short of the pb4000 and the 16? well that should be a 15/18" model.

in the states the pb1000 pro is $599 and pb2000 pro $899 so easier to justify the change, especially with svs exchange policy. here pricing is a bit of a joke. but hey there are plenty 2nd hand .. 1000...4000.. 16.. anyone?

+1 for the SB - 1000 Pro. Same price as the previous model but has upgraded driver, new 'feet' (meant to help isolate) and of course the app. 

Still settling it in but first thing I noticed is less boom around the room (corners etc.). Bass nice and tight.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WasM said:

Good feedback.

Are you using the MiniDSP with the SB-1000?

I used the MiniDSP with he Sunfire and couldn't get a result I like. 

The SVS I have is the new '1000Pro' version has the same DSP into like the 2000Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2021 at 9:13 AM, lemarquis said:

Still settling it in but first thing I noticed is less boom around the room (corners etc.). Bass nice and tight.

Please update after setting the sub in. Thanks

1 hour ago, Lam Pham said:

Please update after setting the sub in. Thanks

Update. Still sounding great. Very tight and musical bass. 'Tight' meaning much less boominess in the room and more detail in bass notes. Listening to some jazz fusion with very complex bass lines (and low) reveals all the notes separately but still forming a whole. Extra weight and excitement to the sound stage. Just what a good sub can and should do. 

Thank you, I am also eyeing the SVS 1000 Pro as it does everything I need at a good price, and with a 12" to boot!

What room position did you end up with, and what frequency do you cross at? Thanks in advance.

I saw the title and thought when you said HRS12 > SB1000Pro that the Sunfire was better. Took me a while to realise you were saying HRS12->SB1000Pro.

There just happened to be a review of the sb and pb1000 pros that only just came out:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-pb-1000-pro-sb-1000-pro

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Ittaku said:

I saw the title and thought when you said HRS12 > SB1000Pro that the Sunfire was better. Took me a while to realise you were saying HRS12->SB1000Pro.

There just happened to be a review of the sb and pb1000 pros that only just came out:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-pb-1000-pro-sb-1000-pro

Took me a while to realise SB = Sealed box and PB = Ported box :lol: