Over-amping tiny speakers - PSB Imagine Mini

These speakers have received good reviews: https://www.psbspeakers.com/product/imagine-mini/ and can be bought new for $700 with stands

I want to use them in a near field or a small room setting (with sub). My amp is a rather powerful Cambridge Audio Azur 840a 120w. Will this pairing be a gross mismatch? I don't want to go out and spend $500-1000 on a new amp for these.

Many thanks

4 hours ago, Sounder10 said:

These speakers have received good reviews: https://www.psbspeakers.com/product/imagine-mini/ and can be bought new for $700 with stands

I want to use them in a near field or a small room setting (with sub). My amp is a rather powerful Cambridge Audio Azur 840a 120w. Will this pairing be a gross mismatch? I don't want to go out and spend $500-1000 on a new amp for these.

Many thanks

Should be fine. Better to have too much power than not enough. Just don't push them past their limits. Have fun!

• Like 2

ok, thank you.  just read that when these were being showcased by the manufacturer, they were using 150w and 200w amps.

5 hours ago, Sounder10 said:

Many thanks

I note the specs say these spkrs are nominal 8 ohms ... but drop to 4 ohms.  So the important thing in your planned approach is ... can the Azur 840a drive 4 ohm spkrs well?

Andy

• Like 2

They aren't a highly efficient speaker and they will take a bit of driving, so 120 watts should be fine. The amount of power needed for transients is very often under estimated. Don't try and fill a large room with high volume sound and you should be fine. According to the specs they will drive 4 ohms well.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure how things work at your place but the volume level acceptable at my place would make your amp and speaker combination perfect. Anything past 9 O'Clock usually gets a swift reaction if its "your" music thats playing. Familiar??

1 hour ago, 075Congo said:

Not sure how things work at your place but the volume level acceptable at my place would make your amp and speaker combination perfect. Anything past 9 O'Clock usually gets a swift reaction if its "your" music thats playing. Familiar??

Sure is...

Slightly off topic, the reviewer claims these speakers are as satisfying as his Proac 1SC rig in his main room. I don't suppose anyone has any insight into this comparison? Would be great value if true

2 hours ago, Sounder10 said:

Sure is...

Slightly off topic, the reviewer claims these speakers are as satisfying as his Proac 1SC rig in his main room. I don't suppose anyone has any insight into this comparison? Would be great value if true

I'm a bit of a PSB fanboy, but the Imagine Mini's are pretty astonishing for their petit size.

Can't say how they compare directly to the Proac's, but they are a very good little speaker.