Help - Oppo BDP-105 Remote no longer working

After years of reliable and hassle free service, the remote control for my BDP-105 has stopped working .... mostly (see below).

It was working about 10 days ago. I used it briefly yesterday and noticed a sort of stutter but didn't think anything of it at the time. 

Now it is not sending any commands, nor is the backlight coming on.

I've swapped out the batteries for freshly charged AA's and also tested in other remotes.

Except if I leave it without batteries for a few hours, it might work (backlight comes on, will power on 105) briefly when batteries are inserted and then it just stops again. 

But even this is not consistent. 

I know I can drive it with my universal remote but I do like the Oppo remote and want to have it working. 

Any suggestions welcome. 

• 3 weeks later...

It would appear that there was a liquid spilled inside which shorts out batteries and discharges them.

I would open it up and clean the board with isopropyl alcohol and use something milder for the buttons (like Windex).

I made a couple of you tube videos about remote fixing and if you are unfamiliar with the task, I recommend them.

The first is on opening a remote and second is on actual repair.

Hope it helps

• Like 3

I have never used the remote for the 105.  It comes with a wireless dongle that you plug into one of the USB port and if you have WiFi you download the app on a phone or a tablet, especially if you have IOS devices, in the app the remote control is there with all the buttons. Works a treat.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rockeater said:

It would appear that there was a liquid spilled inside which shorts out batteries and discharges them.

I would open it up and clean the board with isopropyl alcohol and use something milder for the buttons (like Windex).

I made a couple of you tube videos about remote fixing and if you are unfamiliar with the task, I recommend them.

The first is on opening a remote and second is on actual repair.

/SNIP VIDEOS 
Hope it helps

Thanks very much for the informative post.

I had already bitten the bullet and opened the remote up. 
A bit of gentle dust removal, followed by cleaning with isopropyl alcohol seems to have done the trick. 🤘

17 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I have never used the remote for the 105.  It comes with a wireless dongle that you plug into one of the USB port and if you have WiFi you download the app on a phone or a tablet, especially if you have IOS devices, in the app the remote control is there with all the buttons. Works a treat.

I've also got a universal remote and the Oppo app (for Android) but I actually like the Oppo remote and think it is one of the better ones.