best track for mid bass - you only get 1 shot

33 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

I only just had it played to me recently and it’s an awesome track to test the speakers for sure. I think everyone I’ve played it to on my system has been impressed. ?

You wouldn’t think the pissy little bass drivers in my speakers could handle it but they do. Definitely not at insane volumes though. ?

I would say it the loudest I have ever heard stereo go, 110db+ peaks easily. It was terrifying yet enjoyable. I had to shower as soon as I got home.

I have cranked my speakers up that loud before but only for brief periods during a big crescendo. This was for 10 whole minutes.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 2

On 05/04/2021 at 9:35 PM, Pops110 said:

This will give your bass a workout.

I must admit I'm not into drum solos - so I skipped through it - mostly too low in freq for bass slam, and even the sticks lacked impact...

On 06/04/2021 at 7:24 AM, emesbee said:

The dynamic range on this recording is superb. Just need to be a bit careful with the volume level.

agreed - a bit like Danley's fireworks recordings, crackle/thump, crackle/thump, BOOM - woofer poled ?

49 minutes ago, kelossus said:

In terms of pure violence I can't think of a better track than this. A SNA member recently played this through a big pair of JBL's at seriously insane volumes. Very few speakers could handle the dynamics of this at volume....very few......

I would disagree in the context of this thread - it's a great track with amazing dynamics, but the nature of the instruments (large bass drums) don't provide visceral impact (kick you in the chest) until you up the volume lots, even with the sticks playing along.

Maybe it's the Youtube recording - but the bass sounds a bit muddy - certainly not tight and crisp

This thread is about clean/tight/crisp mid bass - and I completely accept that the "attack" of bass instruments (eg a kick drum) will be lower than instruments tuned for higher frequencies (eg a snare drum), but a bass guitarist can still provide that chest thump when the bassist chooses to "pop" the strings (as "popping" the string adds higher harmonics).

58 minutes ago, kelossus said:

I would say it the loudest I have ever heard stereo go, 110db+ peaks easily. It was terrifying yet enjoyable. I had to shower as soon as I got home.

I have cranked my speakers up that loud before but only for brief periods during a big crescendo. This was for 10 whole minutes.

This thread is not about insane volumes - it's about feeling the bass in the chest at reasonable volumes.

I do run 18"mid bass drivers, which work great - they hardly seem to move :)

Mike

49 minutes ago, almikel said:

I must admit I'm not into drum solos - so I skipped through it - mostly too low in freq for bass slam, and even the sticks lacked impact...

agreed - a bit like Danley's fireworks recordings, crackle/thump, crackle/thump, BOOM - woofer poled ?

I would disagree in the context of this thread - it's a great track with amazing dynamics, but the nature of the instruments (large bass drums) don't provide visceral impact (kick you in the chest) until you up the volume lots, even with the sticks playing along.

Maybe it's the Youtube recording - but the bass sounds a bit muddy - certainly not tight and crisp

This thread is about clean/tight/crisp mid bass - and I completely accept that the "attack" of bass instruments (eg a kick drum) will be lower than instruments tuned for higher frequencies (eg a snare drum), but a bass guitarist can still provide that chest thump when the bassist chooses to "pop" the strings (as "popping" the string adds higher harmonics).

This thread is not about insane volumes - it's about feeling the bass in the chest at reasonable volumes.

Mike

Fair enough. I would call it mid-bass but I suppose everyone's interpretation is different.

A track having a mid-bass slam at low volumes is not always a good thing. Turn it up and it sounds down right distracting.

Edited by kelossus

41 minutes ago, almikel said:

Mike

Not something I would normally listen to, but it’s mighty impressive on my system.

Our systems must be completely different then because i thought it ticks all the boxes. ?‍♂️

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kelossus said:

Fair enough. I would call it mid-bass but I suppose everyone's interpretation is different.

A track having a mid-bass slam at low volumes is not always a good thing. Turn it up and it sounds down right distracting.

I played it and watched it through the JRiver Analyser. The biggest energy is between 40 to 80Hz (low bass) but quite a bit from 80 to 200Hz (mid bass?).

From the Poem of Chinese Drum I got recommeded the following from Youtube and if it don't get the chest pumping then I don't know what will. ?

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Red Hot Chilli Peppers "Otherside" off the Californication album. But has to be played on your system, lappy speakers won't cut it.

Sounded even better live at one of the Big Day Out concerts, many years ago. And they were sharing free cigarettes in the crowd...

Edited by bob_m_54
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, warweary said:

Classic, takes me back to my first stereo and realizing just how well recorded some of the older stuff was.

I have commented in this thread but haven't put forth a track yet. Your post reminded me of another track I would play. From the pumped up 80's sound snare to the bass groove.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 1

Guest dr_carl
On 06/04/2021 at 7:26 AM, BugPowderDust said:

Stepping outside of the 70s and 80s, there were these guys weirding up the radio in the 90s.

While Les will dip into sub bass on his fretless, Primus were the masters of that explosive circa 100Hz slam, especially live. 

Such a strange band (basically all soloists in their own right) who were ridiculously tight live and played some of the most obtuse music of their time.

Yep, and I'll add "Mr Oysterhead" to that. Les C at his funky best.

On 07/04/2021 at 9:46 PM, kelossus said:

of course you're correct - having bass slam at low volumes would be awful when the wick is turned up...

...I don't think I ever said "low volume"...just not excessive volume...

...and of course "reasonable volume" and "excessive volume" are entirely relative terms...

It's been years since I actually measured with an SPL meter, but when in a listening session the system gets cranked a bit, say peaks of around 95dBSPL, reasonably loud but not ridiculous.

If no-one is home it may go louder (I have tolerant neighbours).

If the volume gets turned up loud on any of the tracks I mentioned above, I'll usually dial back the bass on the remote (wonderful having EQ control on the remote!)...

...but at "reasonable" volumes, if the recording is good the bass usually gets turned up on the remote  ?

Mike

• Like 1

Bass isn't just about slam and being able to shake the room - it's also about texture and clarity, especially with voicing at the lower registers. Many bass representations come across as 'muddy' because the quality of the equipment, especially the speakers, doesn't allow those distinctions to be heard. 

• Like 4

On 08/04/2021 at 6:37 PM, kelossus said:

Classic, takes me back to my first stereo and realizing just how well recorded some of the older stuff was.

I have commented in this thread but haven't put forth a track yet. Your post reminded me of another track I would play. From the pumped up 80's sound snare to the bass groove.

@kelossus Billie Jean is one track that sprang to my mind too

IMG_6678.jpg

Edited by 2Brix
  • Like 1

Guest thethrowback

Turn it up loud and enjoy the growly bass guitar and snare slaps.

Edited by thethrowback