best track for mid bass - you only get 1 shot

I've just been surfing my collection, jumping around...and as a bass nut I gravitated to songs that have great mid bass slam - really punch you in the chest mid bass without requiring excessive volume...many great tracks...

Fleetwood Mac's "Gypsy" off the CD compilation album "The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac" has the most amazing bass slam...it's become my favourite track for mid-bass...

What's your's?

one track only - pick your favourite.

Mike

1 minute ago, almikel said:

What's your's?

Hmm, not elevator music like FM's Rumours that's for sure.

I'll see your wishy washy muzak and raise you some late 60's early 70's  bass heavy music from Grand Funk Railroad's first album and the track 'Winter and My soul' with the immortal opening stanza which includes the words; "winter is coming" and yes that little bearded gnome George R.R.Martin is certainly old enough to have heard the song.

Bass that encapsulates the listener in a warm and aggressive pummelling with the wick turned up.

If played in an elevator, most passengers would run screaming from the first floor they arrived at if they were still conscious such is it's visceral nature.

and look you...who did the 3 piece band decide to put front and centre on their first album cover?

Yup...the bass player who else!

Play this back to back to FM and you'll be using Rumours as a frisbee.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4xnojjprNF0/TDDtcFeIu-I/AAAAAAAACEo/DXa7Wb1lagc/s1600/GRAND+FUNK+RAILROAD+-+GRAND+FUNK+A.jpg

?

I am of course having some fun at FM's expense, I know people like them but then people like P76's.

Bite me!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luc said:

I'll see your wishy washy muzak and raise you some late 60's early 70's  bass heavy music from Grand Funk Railroad's first album and the track 'Winter and My soul' with the immortal opening stanza which includes the words; "winter is coming" and yes that little bearded gnome George R.R.Martin is certainly old enough to have heard the song.

Bass that encapsulates the listener in a warm and aggressive pummelling with the wick turned up.

If played in an elevator, most passengers would run screaming from the first floor they arrived at if they were still conscious such is it's visceral nature.

and look you...who did the 3 piece band decide to put front and centre on their first album cover?

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4xnojjprNF0/TDDtcFeIu-I/AAAAAAAACEo/DXa7Wb1lagc/s1600/GRAND+FUNK+RAILROAD+-+GRAND+FUNK+A.jpg

?

I am of course having some fun at FM's expense, I know people like them but then people like P76's.

Bite me!

Oh yeah!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, almikel said:

I've just been surfing my collection, jumping around...and as a bass nut I gravitated to songs that have great mid bass slam - really punch you in the chest mid bass without requiring excessive volume...many great tracks...

Fleetwood Mac's "Gypsy" off the CD compilation album "The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac" has the most amazing bass slam...it's become my favourite track for mid-bass...

What's your's?

one track only - pick your favourite.

Mike

Sorry, Mike ... but wtf is "mid bass"?

• 50Hz-100Hz?
  • 100Hz - 200 Hz?
  • 200Hz - 300Hz?

Andy

There's a couple of great vids from that period and I'm sure you've seen them. Absolute raw raw power from three young guys who just blitzed it. You'd know and a few others, just how big they became in the early 70's ....  YUGE!!!

First two albums the best but the later albums still held some gems. Their version of the Stone's 'Gimme Shelter'   fantastic.

The one charting song in Aus? Lol...it was Kylie's song to...The Locomotion. (They'd already lost me before that). We're an American Band was ok too but those first two albums...bam!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luc said:

?

Bite me!

back at the laptop listening on a boom box, not the main system - they sound great - I'll check them out!

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Sorry, Mike ... but wtf is "mid bass"?

• 50Hz-100Hz?
  • 100Hz - 200 Hz?
  • 200Hz - 300Hz?

Andy

well in this thread as per the OP that would be bass that hits you in the chest - so around 100Hz or so - choose your own +/- margin.

Pick your favourite track that has chest thumping bass - which won't likely be low bass.

It's all in the mix/mastering of the track...for some reason Fleetwood Mac nail it lots - probably as Mick Fleetwood was the drummer...

...there's also awesome mid-bass in early Phil Collins albums - another drummer...

I love the mid bass slam, which I accept is mostly drums/percussion, but can also be a popping bass line.

I also appreciate a great bass line - it just doesn't necessarily hit you in the chest....which is what this thread is about...

...as an example Led Zep had one of the greatest drummers of all time - John Bonham - but none of their albums I own has any bass slam - it wasn't in the mix/master.

I love Led Zep and listen to them all the time - but there's no bass slam.

OTH, the Feelies version of VU's "What Goes On" has loads of bass slam - best cover ever.

Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luc said:

Lol - I love Rumours, and Tusk and the bluesy era of Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green (RIP), and both the FM and the Santana versions of Black Magic Woman, and both the FM and the Smashing Pumpkins' versions of Landslide.

I also like Neil Diamond - IMHO Hot August Night is one of the greatest live albums of all time.

I agree P76's were shite - Leyland after all

4 hours ago, Luc said:

I'll see your wishy washy muzak and raise you some late 60's early 70's  bass heavy music from Grand Funk Railroad

I'll have a listen as you suggest - they sound great on the boom box connected to the laptop...but IME old recordings were never mixed for clean/tight bass slam...

Interestingly Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" doesn't have the same "crispness"/attack that "Gypsy" has, but "The Chain" from Rumours gets close, and "Sarah" off the same compilation as "Gypsy" has almost as much bass slam as Gypsy - it's all in the mix.

"Yellow Brick Road" by Angus and Julia Stone is another great "hit you in the chest" track, as is "Telegraph Road" by Dire Straits...Tracy Chapman...

...I'm sure there's lots of great rock tracks also - I can't get past the Feelies version of the Velvet Underground's "What Goes On" - great bass slam

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, almikel said:

well in this thread as per the OP that would be bass that hits you in the chest - so around 100Hz or so - choose your own +/- margin.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

Andy

Stepping outside of the 70s and 80s, there were these guys weirding up the radio in the 90s.

While Les will dip into sub bass on his fretless, Primus were the masters of that explosive circa 100Hz slam, especially live. 

Such a strange band (basically all soloists in their own right) who were ridiculously tight live and played some of the most obtuse music of their time.

• Like 6

Guest deanB

I have all their albums and don't know the names of any of their songs. But just close your eyes and throw a dart at any Rammstein album, there's chest thumping goodness in all of them.

Lots of great suggestions here already, with Grand Funk Railroad's track 'Winter and My soul' just added to my 2021 New Discoveries playlist. 

I have lots of favourites within FM catalogue, but for the purpose of this discussion I'll throw in something out of left field with from Piers Faccini second album Tearing Skies, the track title is: Sharpening Bone

The kick in the gut starts at 0:20 and really turns it up around 3:20 towards the end, closing with some majestic drum beats.

The whole album is a fine example of Piers Faccini's amazing musicality.

Edited by Willmax
  • Like 4

On 05/04/2021 at 9:15 PM, LogicprObe said:

Oh yeah!!!!

that is amazing - will seek them out - pure rock power and energy...it could be youtube/age of the recording/era of the recording, but it's lacking the "crispness" I'm talking about, although an awesome track with a great bass line.

15 hours ago, Willmax said:

Lots of great suggestions here already, with Grand Funk Railroad's track 'Winter and My soul' just added to my 2021 New Discoveries playlist. 

I have lots of favourites within FM catalogue, but for the purpose of this discussion I'll throw in something out of left field with from Piers Faccini second album Tearing Skies, the track title is: Sharpening Bone

The kick in the gut starts at 0:20 and really turns it up around 3:20 towards the end, closing with some majestic drum beats.

The whole album is a fine example of Piers Faccini's amazing musicality.

yeah that's what I'm talking about - clean/crisp bass, and I accept most of the attack/hit in the chest stuff is percussion (including snare) not bass guitar...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfforever said:

All time bass classics..... Massive Attack  ANGEL

I love Massive Attack, and that track has great bass, but not "hit you in the chest" bass...maybe at nightclub volume...

1 hour ago, mfforever said:

and Lamb GABRIEL

nice track - I've never listened to them before, thanks...but no bass slam

Mike

On 05/04/2021 at 9:35 PM, Pops110 said:

This will give your bass a workout.

In terms of pure violence I can't think of a better track than this. A SNA member recently played this through a big pair of JBL's at seriously insane volumes. Very few speakers could handle the dynamics of this at volume....very few......

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kelossus said:

In terms of pure violence I can't think of a better track than this. A SNA member recently played this through a big pair of JBL's at seriously insane volumes. Very few speakers could handle the dynamics of this at volume....very few......

I only just had it played to me recently and it’s an awesome track to test the speakers for sure. I think everyone I’ve played it to on my system has been impressed. ?

You wouldn’t think the pissy little bass drivers in my speakers could handle it but they do. Definitely not at insane volumes though. ?